RE: [Distillers] Speculation About Continuous Still

  • Ackland, Tony (CALBRIS)
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2005
      Alex

      > From: "bokakob" <bokakob@...>
      > Subject: Speculation About Continuous Still

      What you have drawn there is a batch still - not a continuous still. It needs to have a feed point, whereby you can continuously add wash - say several hundred or thousand litres. But where would such a location be on sketch three ? It can't be into the boiler, because then our alcohol would have to go up past the "bottoms" draw-off, and lots would end up going out there. And theres precious little space between that and our "pure alcohol" zone, when really we'd need a good sized zone there with a lot of reflux going on in order to get the seperation. Whats the advatage of having your "waste bottoms" up above the boiler. Whats down in the boiler ? Really wasted bottoms ?

      A continuous column needs a feedpoint, physically located between the top drawoff point and the bottoms draw off point.

      I'd caution about constructing sketch 2 - the testing rig - its a bomb. You have a heat source, alcohol, and no form of cooling, all sealed tight. Its characteristics would vary hugely depending on the amount of reflux occuring. It has to have a condenser, and vent. And again - its drawn as a batch set-up, whereup the % alcohol in the fume will vary. Where were you going to feed it ?

      Back to sketch 3 - what is going to cause the "pure ethanol" to condense there, ahead of the condensor. As shown, all vapour will simply go up and over the top, down to the condenser, and come out of the "wasted heads" outlet. No reflux happening.

      A reflux column needs reflux.

      Unless you can provide a large enough zone to give sufficent seperation, then your ethanol reflux will contain heads or your heads will contain ethanol.

      Not too much more can be achieved through discussing the theory - try it in practice and observe for yourself.

      Tony