Artifical flavourings

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2000
      I know its a cop-out, but I flavour the majority of my ethanol using the
      commercial flavourings.
      I tend to temper them with a little oak (chips and/or essence), and have
      tried a touch of port/wine/honey etc.
      What I REALLY want is to end up with something like a Laphroig (sp?) or
      Lugavulin (sp?) (shit spelling - the ones from Islay) really strong with
      peat, smoke etc. Any suggestions how to achieve this ?

      Tony
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2000
        From: "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@...>

        I know its a cop-out, but I flavour the majority of my ethanol using the
        commercial flavourings.
        I tend to temper them with a little oak (chips and/or essence), and have
        tried a touch of port/wine/honey etc.
        What I REALLY want is to end up with something like a Laphroig (sp?) or
        Lugavulin (sp?) (shit spelling - the ones from Islay) really strong with
        peat, smoke etc. Any suggestions how to achieve this ?

        Yes Tony - do as I did the other day when celebrating and fork out $91 for a
        bottle of the real thing - Laphroig that is. It's smoooooooooooooooth, and
        worth every cent :-)

        Mike
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17, 2000
          > i have been drinking this stuff called bunahaven (sp) very peaty!!

          Mike wrote

          I know its a cop-out, but I flavour the majority of my ethanol using the
          commercial flavourings.
          I tend to temper them with a little oak (chips and/or essence), and have
          tried a touch of port/wine/honey etc.
          What I REALLY want is to end up with something like a Laphroig (sp?) or
          Lugavulin (sp?) (shit spelling - the ones from Islay) really strong with
          peat, smoke etc. Any suggestions how to achieve this ? Yes Tony - do as
          I did the other day when celebrating and fork out $91 for a bottle of the
          real thing - Laphroig that is. It's smoooooooooooooooth, and worth every
          cent :-)

          Correction - probably due to looking at the label through rose tinted
          specs - it's LAPHROAIG. Still, who the hell cares - it's wonderful!

          Mike
          In Godzone
        • Dick
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 17, 2000
            In message <476AA03A3204D3119E0B0000F8CD24900151DBAD@NZASEXCH02>,
            Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS) <Tony.Ackland@...> writes
            >I tend to temper them with a little oak (chips and/or essence), and have
            >tried a touch of port/wine/honey etc.
            >What I REALLY want is to end up with something like a Laphroig (sp?) or
            >Lugavulin (sp?) (shit spelling - the ones from Islay) really strong with
            >peat, smoke etc. Any suggestions how to achieve this ?
            Two possible routes as far as I can see:

            1) Traditional - Only use water that has run off a peat hag & prepare
            the mash using a peat smoked malt. Double distil using a pot still
            rather than refluxing it.

            2) Add peat flavouring either before or after distillation.

            Which ever one you use the one thing you need is PEAT.

            Q1 Do you have peat beds in your country ?

            Q2 If answer to Q1 is Yes, is your wife as broad as she is tall (the
            Highlanders wife selection criteria, 'looks are fine but broad shoulders
            will keep you warm'), 'cos it's her job to dig, stack & turn the peats.

            If you've got a source of burning peat then use it to malt the
            barley, crush & use it to make the mash. However I see no reason why you
            can't cold smoke barley after it's been crushed. I've a home smoker &
            all you need to do is modify the baskets so that they will hold thinnish
            (2-3 cm) layers of crushed malted barley. You can then smoke using
            crumbled burning peat, from my experiments with brewing beer from smoked
            malt you don't need a lot of smoked malt to get a really smoky flavour
            to the beer (500g smoked malt to 3-4kg pale malt). It may be possible to
            even use the peat available from non-PC garden centres but I suspect it
            will need to be dried out a bit before you use it. Being Scotland,
            getting a hold of peats is not a problem - northern friends normally
            don't raise too many objections to you 'borrowing' a couple of lumps of
            peat from their stack - especially when alcohol is involved. UK home-
            brew shops usually either stock or can get a hold of German smoked malt
            but it tends to be a bit pricey.

            The other possibility is preparing a peat flavouring (Yes Tony,
            I know that's what you wanted anyway but let me have my say ....... !!).
            Why can't a tincture be prepared the same way as Tassie Brian prepared
            oak chip flavouring - steep a quantity of peat in 95% alcohol for a few
            months, drain off & filter the resulting liquid ? Be warned though that
            dried peat absorbs a LOT of liquid, so the garden centre variety might
            be a better bet. Careful pot still re-distillation (as per essential oil
            extraction) should concentrate the flavour.

            A final possibility if you're just looking for a smoky flavour
            is to use a 'liquid smoke' flavouring. I've picked this up over the
            years from the BBQ section of US food stores & have only ever used it in
            cooking, however the CAMRA homebrewing H/B suggests using it if you
            can't get a hold of smoked malt @ 1-2 tsp per 5 gal brew. All mine seem
            to be a hickory smoke variety but there may be others available, maybe
            some of the US n.g. members could suggest suppliers and/or other
            varieties. Now applewood smoked whisk(e)y, that would be a challenge
            ..... I think ?

            Now, to help Tony with his spelling & general edification -
            Islay whiskies can be divided into two groups:

            The Small (as in lightly peated) Whiskies:

            Bunnahabhain (bunna-harv'n) 2ppm phenols
            Caol Ila (cole-eela)
            Bruichladdich (brew-ick-laddie) - distillery currently closed
            Port Ellen - distillery currently closed

            The Big (as in heavily peated) Whiskies:

            Bowmore 20-25 ppm phenols
            Laphroaig (la-froyg)
            Lagavulin (la-ga-voolin) 35 ppm phenols
            Ardbeg 50 ppm phenols - liquid magic !

            Just thought you'd all like to know.
            --
            Dick on the LangWang
            Applying 25 years naval engineering to free enterprise whisky production.