Re: [Distillers] convert starch to sugar in corn

  • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2005
      DCchief, in short - if you boil the corn it will not germinate, you killed it.
      Method 1 - germinate the corn and let mother nature do the conversion of starches into sugars.
      Method 2 - pulverize (mill or grind) the dry corn so it has more surface exposure and treat with enzimes from germinated barley (malt) by "cooking."
      Method 3 - same as No.2 but use artificially synthesized enzymes
      Method 4 - use molds to produce the same enzymes converting the corn (like in sake manufacturing)
      Perhaps there are other methods with which I am not that familiar.

      dchief13 <cddrennan@...> wrote:
      I have read a couple different ways to convert starch to sugar in corn. I am confused though. I have read on method that says to boil for thirty minutes. After boiling to soften the outer shell is it still necessary to soak the corn for aprox 40 hours and germinate it? thanks for any help

      Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
      http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob