Re: [Distillers] Re: Question for folks with more experience than me

  • donald holcombe
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28, 2005
      I had a couple of rum washes boilup. Now I skim the foam off the top just before i close the lid( as it goes from 150 to 170F) Seems to help a lot. If you boil before ferment would a protien rest like beer help?

      Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

      >From: Robert Thomas
      >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Question for folks with more experience than
      >me
      >Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:14:14 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      >On the other hand, if it aint broke don't fix it.
      >Plus you've gotta go to the shop to buy the glycerine,
      >yadee yadee yadee.
      >I've not had foam probs on sugar washes, but just wait
      >till I try the molasses!
      >Rob.

      Rob,

      I've found molasses washes to be *very* foamy, and have had some foam
      blow-through, requiring me to fill the cooker to a lower level. Anyone else
      have that problem?

      >Do You Yahoo!?
      >http://mail.yahoo.com

      zymurgy Bob