Re: [Distillers] Distilling questions

  • Dean Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2005
      First thing first, Welcome to the groups you've found the best place on
      the net.
      The correct place for you to start is

      And the best information can be found in the links at the bottom, That
      is home distiller and the archives
      you will find all the information you require to get started in those
      two links.

      Basically to make traditional whiskeys a pot still is used although I
      make a pretty mean bourbon with a reflux still producing neutral spirit
      and adding essence.

      The heads middles and tails "cuts" are done by monitoring the temps and
      the smell and even the taste I rely mainly on temp, Information on the
      temps can be found at home distiller.

      The packing in the column of a reflux still is to increase the surface
      area effectively producing multiple distilations in the one run which
      increases the purity and therefore the strength of the final product
      which is not ideal for a traditional whiskey. Again more detailed
      information can be found at home distiller.

      Hope that I have helped. I encourage you to do some reading there are
      multiple websites and E books all over the Internet. If you have any
      more questions just ask. Again welcome.

      Dean.