Sugar Wash Question for everyone...

  • suitcase1498
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 26 2:33 PM
      I was just wondering how long most of you let your sugar wash settle
      after fermentation is complete. I know I am sometimes in a hurry and
      don't let mine settle enough. Thanks

      Suitcase
    • kj
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26 2:55 PM
        Hey Suitcase,

        I personally like to leave mine for about a week minimum have left for over
        a month in the past, that is if I am using Code 6 turbo, but if using 24
        hour there is so much extra yeast that I usually let it settle for a week
        then strip and distill have left for over 6 weeks and it does settle out
        with a thick layer of yeast on the bottom of the fermenter, but still needs
        stripping whereas the slower tubro's can be slowly distilled without
        stripping if left until clear as there is not so much residual yeast . As a
        general rule I always strip a wash prior to distilling

        Cheers

        Ken Mc

        _____

        I was just wondering how long most of you let your sugar wash settle
        after fermentation is complete. I know I am sometimes in a hurry and
        don't let mine settle enough. Thanks

        Suitcase

        Management
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Management+team&w1=Management+team&w2=F
        ood+and+drink&w3=Organizational+culture&w4=Culture&c=4&s=82&.sig=fZBKf7VofjP
        oPbz_TpGVZQ> team

        Food
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Food+and+drink&w1=Management+team&w2=Fo
        od+and+drink&w3=Organizational+culture&w4=Culture&c=4&s=82&.sig=40Z1jAcMg5cm
        3wV7L15Y1g> and drink

        Organizational
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organizational+culture&w1=Management+te
        am&w2=Food+and+drink&w3=Organizational+culture&w4=Culture&c=4&s=82&.sig=tzgG
        dhAB6fybn6a8ocP0tQ> culture

        Culture
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Culture&w1=Management+team&w2=Food+and+
        drink&w3=Organizational+culture&w4=Culture&c=4&s=82&.sig=fe0x6PdZTkGVF9heL2L

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "Distillers
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers> " on the web.

        _____

      • Lmemarime
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 26 6:09 PM
          I use turbo-clear after fermenting is over and it is usually clear and settled out in 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 days on sugar washes using Alcotec Turbo 48, seems to work good.
          Semper Fi !
          Lmemarine

        • Derek Hamlet
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 26 9:46 PM
            My approach is to use 10kg of sugar in 33 litres of water with juice of two
            lemons and a cup of molasses for yeast food. I add the sugar every other
            day for about 7 additions up to the 10 kg.
            When the s.g. reaches .098 I leave it for another week and distill with
            total reflux.
            It usually comes off at about 88% abv. I run this through a carbon filter
            and then with it as I wish (home made essences or just leave it as vodka.
            .
            At 02:55 PM 7/26/05, you wrote:

            >Hey Suitcase,
            >

            >I personally like to leave mine for about a week minimum have left for over
            >a month in the past, that is if I am using Code 6 turbo, but if using 24
            >hour there is so much extra yeast that I usually let it settle for a week
            >then strip and distill have left for over 6 weeks and it does settle out
            >with a thick layer of yeast on the bottom of the fermenter, but still needs
            >stripping whereas the slower tubro's can be slowly distilled without
            >stripping if left until clear as there is not so much residual yeast . As a
            >general rule I always strip a wash prior to distilling
            >

            >Cheers
            >
            >Ken Mc
            >

            > _____

            Derek Hamlet
            Victoria, B.C.
          • Dean Thomas
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 26 11:44 PM
              In the past I have run it straight away removing only the sludge at the
              bottom of the fermenter. As long as you thoroughly flush out your boiler
              there should be no ill effects. Usually I can only do a run on a sunday
              and the fermentation will stop mid week so there is often a couple of
              days worth of settling but the wash is by no means clear.

              Dean.

            • Robert Thomas
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 26 11:51 PM
                I always strip sugar washes, and never let them
                settle. (i'm an impatient sort of person). No probs.
                The rum on the other hand will be a different matter.
                Rob.

                --- Dean Thomas <deanlil@...> wrote:

                > In the past I have run it straight away removing
                > only the sludge at the
                > bottom of the fermenter. As long as you thoroughly
                > flush out your boiler
                > there should be no ill effects. Usually I can only
                > do a run on a sunday
                > and the fermentation will stop mid week so there is
                > often a couple of
                > days worth of settling but the wash is by no means
                > clear.
                >
                > Dean.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Garry Patten
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 27 1:18 AM
                  I usually leave mine for two to three days after it stops bubbling. Seems to work ok for me.
                  Cheers
                  Garry.

                  suitcase1498 <suitcase1499@...> wrote:
                  I was just wondering how long most of you let your sugar wash settle
                  after fermentation is complete. I know I am sometimes in a hurry and
                  don't let mine settle enough. Thanks

                  Suitcase

                  Management team Food and drink Organizational culture Culture