History of Distillation

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2005
      There are many theories as to where and when distillation originated
      and they often invoke national pride. I have tried to make some sense
      of them and have compiled a list of my messages in Distillers dealing
      with the topic as a reference. The articles are based mainly on
      internet sources and I took note of the following points when researching:
      1) archaeological discoveries and texts
      2) political and economic expansion
      3) etymology of alcoholic beverage terms

      THE BEGINNINGS:
      Origin of vodka msg 9714
      In the beginning msg 20644
      The first pot still? msg 20762
      Etymology of Alcohol msg 20763
      Air cooled still head msg 23266, 23268, 23303
      Alcohol Travels msg 23881
      Distillation Timeline msg 25860

      DISTILLATION IN INDIA:
      Indian Distillation msg 4146, 4158, 4160, 4180, 12784, 19657, 19658,
      19917, 19951, 20085, 20848

      DISTILLATION IN CHINA:
      History of distillation in China msg 24411

      DISTILLATION IN THE BALTIC REGION:
      Lithuanian beverages msg 20454, 20462, 20501

      DISTILLATION IN RUSSIA:
      Vodka articles msg 20451
      Early Russian vodkas msg 20455
      History of Russian vodka 20510, 20518, 20544, 20624
      Why 40%abv msg 20516, 20517
      Definition of Russian vodka msg 20548
      Vodya = vodka? msg 20549
      Branntwein, brannvin, degvins, viin, viina, vino msg 20578, 20621
      Soyuzplodoimport history of vodka msg 20610

      wal