Heads,Tails - Whisky,Rum,Brandy

  • project880
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2005
      I have concentrated on making clean neutral spirit and had good
      success there. Now i want to do some tests with Whisky, Rum and Brandy
      and do it with essences. I anyhow just wonder if i should distill
      specially for that in mind meaning should i by purpose keep some heads
      and tails in it rather than stripping it all of. It is said that the
      above mentioned types are commercially produced with some congeners in
      it to give it some caracter. The types i am talking about are white
      and dark rum, irish and bourbon whisky and brandy.

      Regards,
      HG
    • Lindsay Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 24, 2005
        I am a pure etoh + essence distiller and don't think you should let
        heads and tails back into your base. Both are bloody awful and need
        long maturation etc to mellow them. Also, the essence makers are
        relying on a clean spirit base otherwise they would have no control
        over the end result. In saying the above, I am no expert but I do like
        my gin and rum. I don't like whisky much and have only tried a couple
        of lots with essence with no great distinction I am told!! (However,my
        good friend had his elderly father out from England recently for a
        stay and he had brought in a bottle of Glen Fiddich (Sp?) duty free
        and wanted to drink it after dinner with ginger ale! So my friend gave
        him my stuff and his father was perfectly happy and didn't know a
        thing!!).

        For rum I soak rum barrel chips then add the normal amount of Jamaican
        Rum essence. Does it for me and no one else complains!

        Cheers,
        Lindsay.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "project880" <project880@y...> wrote:
        > I have concentrated on making clean neutral spirit and had good
        > success there. Now i want to do some tests with Whisky, Rum and Brandy
        > and do it with essences. I anyhow just wonder if i should distill
        > specially for that in mind meaning should i by purpose keep some heads
        > and tails in it rather than stripping it all of. It is said that the
        > above mentioned types are commercially produced with some congeners in
        > it to give it some caracter. The types i am talking about are white
        > and dark rum, irish and bourbon whisky and brandy.
        >
        > Regards,
        > HG
      • kj
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 24, 2005
          HG,

          I have been making all sorts of grog from schnappps to rum to gin to scotch
          and bourbon all from neutral spirit, essenses chips etc and would suggest
          that from my experience the "cleaner" the spirit the better and with the
          essenses available on the market you can really make some great stuff. Do
          not be to buy the cheapest essenses I usually go for the Still spirits
          Classic range and now have the whiskey profile kit. For gin I use the
          Country squire Geneva and Ginn enhancer and for Liqueurs Noirot and Still
          spirits. I also use these as bases and add presoaked grog alcohol with wood
          chip or herbs and spices etc to these esssenses to improve or personalise.

          Cheers

          Ken Mc

          _____

          I have concentrated on making clean neutral spirit and had good
          success there. Now i want to do some tests with Whisky, Rum and Brandy
          and do it with essences. I anyhow just wonder if i should distill
          specially for that in mind meaning should i by purpose keep some heads
          and tails in it rather than stripping it all of. It is said that the
          above mentioned types are commercially produced with some congeners in
          it to give it some caracter. The types i am talking about are white
          and dark rum, irish and bourbon whisky and brandy.

          Regards,
          HG

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "Distillers
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers> " on the web.

          _____

        • owen perkins
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 26, 2005
            Towards the end of the "Aging Spirits" section of Tony’s site you’ll find this:

            Johnnie Walker Whisky

            Les suggests ...

            My best results came from Top Shelf Classic Reserve Scotch Whisky, Top Shelf Classic Whisky (green label) and Country Squire Whisky 2000. The Classic Reserve is excellent but requires ageing and is somewhat cloudy to begin with.Try not to consume before six months. I also tart it up with some other ingredients. For ease of use, economy and consistent results the Top Shelf Greenlabel Classic is a winner. My formula for this essence is as follows......

            1 sachet 40gms Classic Greenlabel Whisky.

            2.5 litres 44% alcohol .

            100 mls Glycerine

            2 teaspoons Eazimix spirit finisher

            6 teaspoons Virgin American Oak shavings

            150 mls medium dry sherry (good quality)

            Leave in 3 litre glass for at least 4 months then filter off. To test place 1 nip in a wine glass and the same amount of Red Label Johnnie W in another and compare.I think you will be surprised at how well your product holds up. You can vary the ingredients to your taste.

            Regards Les

            This bloke Les is a genius! I recommend that you follow this recipe and , as Les suggests, adjust it to your taste if you wish to.

            After trying both the Still Spirits Top Shelf Classic and Still Spirits Top Shelf Classic Reserve, I now use only the Classic Reserve (purple label). I haven’t tried the Country Squire Whisky 2000.

            Before flavouring I double distill and sit the end product on carbon (having used Gert Strand’s method of increasing the efficiency of the carbon first) for 4-5 weeks, aerating with an air stone for much of the time.

            There is some white sediment which I have put down to the Easimix spirit finisher (or perhaps too much Easimix). That is easily enough cured by decanting, settling and further decanting.

            I left the Easimix out of my last batch (reasoning that the aeration may make its use unnecessary), but haven’t sampled it yet.

            I use European oak shavings instead of the American oak, simply because I’ve got a couple of bushels of it and am too mean to let it go to waste.

            Les says to leave it for at least 4 months, preferably 6, but I reckon its fine after 2.

            This stuff has converted me from rum to whiskey. The four seasoned whisky drinkers who’ve tried it reckon it’s good - and two of them didn’t tell me that, they told someone else and it filtered back to me, so those two at least weren’t just pissing in my pocket.

            I’ll try the Still Spirits Whisky Profile Kit eventually, but it’ll need to produce good results to beat Les’ recipe.

            owenperko