metho

  • KEZ
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2001
      Gday

      If you bought metho at the shop which says its 96% ethanol and then deleted it by half and put it through the carbon. Would you end up drinkable spirit.

      TTFN, Kez
      *************************************
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2001
        Kez ,

        >If you bought metho at the shop which says its 96% ethanol and then deleted
        it by half and put it through the carbon. Would you end up drinkable spirit

        No ! No !

        Metho is deliberately "denatured" to make it undrinkable / poisonous.
        This is done for tax reasons.

        There are a range of denaturing agents used, but they all have the feature
        of being nearly identical to ethanol when distilling/carboning etc - eg you
        can't separate them out.

        Tony
      • Pete Sayers
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2001
          Hey Kez, have you heard the one about the English Travel Writer touring the Northern Territory, who came accross an old swaggie camped up at the Billabong. The old guy asked the pom if he would like to stay the night, and share his supper. The pom jumped at this, and so the two settled down for the night, with the old guy telling stories from the outback. When the old guy offered a night cap. the pom accepted, however he was alarmed to see the old guy pouring a liquid out of a 5 gallon tin (on the back of his truck),that was marked "Methelated Spirits" and "Poison" . He suggested that perhaps they shouldnt drink this stuff as the manufacturers had added poisonous stuff to it, the old guy just laughed and said that they wouldnt do that because they would kill off half the Northern Territory.
          Pete

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2001
            Thats very funny. I used to see the drunks in Brisbane 20 years ago drinking metho and then I heard that they added something to stop this happening. OK, so what if you put the metho in the still and re-distilled it?

            Kez

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2001
              Pass. It might work, but i would ask Tony about what they puit in it.
              Pete

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 6, 2001
                From msg #2106 Brad suggested "benzene, pyridine and other nasties". I've
                got some listed in a book at home - I'll reply this evening with them.

                I'm sure Brian can also enlighten us as to exactly what they are -
                commercial distilleries sometimes sell their foreshots as metho after
                denaturing them with the pyridine and wood naptha group[s]; two of the most
                obnoxious, toxic/poisonous compounds in that family. The whole point of
                denaturing it is to add chemicals that can't be easily removed, then it can
                be sold without excise tax.

                The additives chosen have vaporisation properties almost identical to
                ethanol so can't be separated by distillation and/or chemical methods. The
                Australian/New Zealand Food Authority Act has chosen pyridine & wood naptha
                because they BOND in an ethanol/water solution most delightfully to the
                point that to separate this evil concoction you would need rising/falling
                film distillation equipment which worked under vacuum as well and then the
                result after one pass may only be marginal. This cost for this sort of
                equipment starts around 6 figures

                Tony

                ---
                -----

                Thats very funny. I used to see the drunks in Brisbane 20 years ago drinking
                metho and then I heard that they added something to stop this happening. OK,
                so what if you put the metho in the still and re-distilled it?

                Kez
                  Thanx Tony for a comprehensive reply as per usual its much appreciated.

                  Kez