wal [waljaco]

  • Brian Poke
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2001
      in your last posting you suggested putting botanicals in the still body and using this method to flavour the finished product,,,,,brilliant idea in a pot still but very questionable that it would "carry over" in almost any other design

      you are no doubt aware that the infusion solution has a great bearing on the finished product particularly the citrus family [assuming you use infusion,,,is that what you plan]  /////////////// whoops ????????????????????

      many regards  brian
    • Laurie Stevenson
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2001
        Hello Still Fellows,

        Quiz Question...

        Has anyone advice on thru tube configuration? (backed
        by practical experience or some serious thermo dynamic
        equations ;-)

        Just to be different I have a 700mm x 25mm Cu Column
        with two 10mm x 50mm long Cu through tubes, but one
        passes thru the column at right angles to the other.

        My thinking was that this config would allow more
        disruption to the rising vapour and therefore greater
        cooling ability.

        Alas it is not so, and I cannot get total reflux
        happening @ temps below around 84C even with some
        remedial temperature control.

        Just for the stats

        Top thru tube about 50mm below condenser exit
        Bottom thru tube about 40mm below top
        15ltr Boiler
        1500W external hotplate
        Temp control cuts power by approx 1/2

        Does thru tube length outside of the column, make a
        difference. ie the longer the tube length the greater
        the ability for the tube to cool.???

        So whats the way to go.

        AuntyEthyl

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 6, 2001
          AuntyEthyl,

          > Does thru tube length outside of the column, make a
          > difference. ie the longer the tube length the greater
          > the ability for the tube to cool.???

          Can't see how the length outside will help improve the heat transfer
          inside.

          You'll need to do stuff like
          increasing the amount of cold surface area (eg coils, spirals, fins,
          conductive packing around it, more tubes present etc),
          the turbulence of the vapour passing it (hmmmmm...),
          the probability of the vapour actually touching it (eg no easy way to sneak
          past ? - shove some packing in beside the tubes so as to fill the voids) -
          putting them at right angles has probably helped, or
          increasing the difference in temperatures (eg using colder water - not
          usually an option)

          Tony

          > So whats the way to go.
          >

          > AuntyEthyl

          Messenger
          > http://im.yahoo.com

        • AuntyEthyl
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10, 2001
            Hi Tony, et al

            replying inline
            > AuntyEthyl,
            >
            > > Does thru tube length outside of the column, make
            > > difference. ie the longer the tube length the
            > greater
            > > the ability for the tube to cool.???
            >
            > Can't see how the length outside will help improve
            > the heat transfer
            > inside.

            My thoughts were that, to a degree, the length of
            copper thru tube would influence cooling similar to
            lengthening your condenser tube.. in that the longer
            thru tube would have "greater thermal mass" therefore
            it would be less likely to be heated by the vapor and
            more liely to be cooled by the flow of cooling
            water...
            But again I haven't a degree in thermal dynamics

            > You'll need to do stuff like
            > increasing the amount of cold surface area (eg
            > coils, spirals, fins,
            > conductive packing around it, more tubes present
            > etc),
            > the turbulence of the vapour passing it (hmmmmm...),

            Yeah sounds good, I'll give it a try. (the packing)
            Possibly even add a third thru tube.

            > the probability of the vapour actually touching it
            > (eg no easy way to sneak
            > past ? - shove some packing in beside the tubes so
            > as to fill the voids) -
            > putting them at right angles has probably helped, or
            > increasing the difference in temperatures (eg using
            > colder water - not usually an option)

            Yeah in its current form I have to pump an obscene
            amount of water thru. I am looking into a using a
            water container and a pump to recirculate the water...
            something with a float switch to toggle the pump so
            the pump isn't always running.

            Also I have built my next iteration of temp controller
            and will trial it soon. If it works well I'll let you
            all know about it.

            AuntyEthyl

            ps. Thanks Wal for all the flavoring/style notes.
            And Thanks heaps Tony and All for the site and group.

            http://im.yahoo.com
          • Tony & Elle Ackland
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 11, 2001
              Aunty,

              > Yeah in its current form I have to pump an obscene
              > amount of water thru. I am looking into a using a
              > water container and a pump to recirculate the water...
              > something with a float switch to toggle the pump so
              > the pump isn't always running.

              If you look at http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/others.htm you'll
              see what Glen does for a convienient container for water - his bathtub !

              Tony