Re: [Distillers] Re: bottling? Plastic vs glass???

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 20, 2005
      Not a real science answer, but,
      there has been a quiet revolution in plastics for
      bottling recently. Much of the cutting edge stuff is
      for beer (the worst case scenario for plastic
      bottles). Problems with plastic are:
      1. tainting
      2. light damage
      3. oxygen diffusion
      4. cost
      5. recyclability.
      Why am I going on about this? Well, very often
      nowadays, the plastic bottles are made as a multilayer
      composite. The inside is a microcarbonised layer
      (stops taints (in beer). Middle layer tends to be uv
      filtering, and the outer layer is the support layer.
      I don't know if this technique is used in spirits
      plastic bottles. What marks are on the bottles?
      Finally, if the bottle is good enough for ... (insert
      famous brand) then surely it's good enough for us.
      Providing we don't exceed their abv.
      Rob.

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs