Re: [Distillers] (unknown)

  • G&N
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
      Some good info here

      Http://www.Moonshine-Still.com

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "sarjinder kahn" <distiller@...>
      To: <distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 9:21 AM
      Subject: [Distillers] (unknown)

      > I'm very very interested in building a still, could anyone who has some
      good blueprints or ideas on how i should start please send me some of your
      ideas.
      > Thanks Alot
      >
      > --

      > FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
      > http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
      >
      > Talk More, Pay Less with Net2Phone Direct(R), up to 1500 minutes free!
      > http://www.net2phone.com/cgi-bin/link.cgi?143

    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 25, 2001
        Peter,

        > I wonder if anyone can tell me of their experience in operating the
        valved
        > reflux still found at moonshine-still.com? I'm intrigued that the
        condensor
        > is "opened to the air". Any thoughts about vapor loss? While you can see
        H2O
        > vapor, can you see alcohol vapor?

        I have a similar condensor to that one - my is a "Nixon-Stone" design.
        There are photos of it at
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/others.htm

        The difference is though that my condensor is only about 1.5" diameter,
        with a 1" coil inside it, whereas the StillMaker valved one is 3" diameter.
        With my one, because there is a lot of cooling surface area that the
        vapour must go past (its about 12" tall), and I've stuffed the centre of
        the coil with some scrubbers (so no sneaky hole up the middle), it all gets
        to fully condense before it gets out the top. With a 1800W element, only
        the lower 1/3 to 1/2 of the coil is actually in use (wet when you pull it
        out). At the start of the run you do see some vapour escaping, but this is
        only air that was in the column, getting pushed out ahead of the alcohol
        vapour.

        My fear with the Moonshine-Still design is the large diameter - theres
        heaps of opportunity for the vapour to sneak out without touching a cold
        coil. I guess you could always block off the center somehow though ?

        Tony
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 22, 2002
          > Do I need to fit a
          > conical section between the boiler and column, or will the curved
          > shape of the keg be sufficient???

          The keg shape is sufficient. The nice sweeping curves of traditional pot
          stills are a way of getting them a bit more surface area, to provide them
          with a touch more internal reflux via cooling to atmosphere. Given that
          you'll be deliberately controlling the amount of reflux via your condensor
          etc, you don't need that small amount of surface cooling. It doesnt really
          aid the vapour flow up into the column either - as you know - if there is a
          hole of any shape, in any position in your boiler, the vapour doesnt have
          trouble getting out it. The one reason to do it would be asthetics.

          Tony
          http://homedistiller.org
        • Pete Sayers
          Message 4 of 24 , May 22 1:29 PM
            All the info i have from the suppliers of carbon, tell me to cut the spirit
            to 50% before adding any carbon. The simple reason is that some of the
            "nasties" we are filtering out, are completely soluable in the very high
            %ages.Further, some of the carbons we are using contain "mineral salts" that
            need to be removed by washing in water, before being used.This may explain
            the slight cloudiness in your spirit. Re-filtering should remove all the
            unwanteds.
            Pete
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 19, 2002
              > Just a couple of questions. How secure is it to use this site, also
              > other related sites, such as homedistiller.org? Can your details be
              > traced?

              First rule of the internet - never post anything that you wouldn't want to have overheard in a crowded elevator. Most things get archived somewhere and can usually be traced back to you (unless you're using a service like www.anonymiser.com

              Yahoo would tend to be one of the least secure - most anyone can read your postings, see your address, scan through the membership lists etc.

              You can't be traced if just reading Homedistiller.org (and surely your freedom of speech at least allows you to read the info, even if using it is banned). We use to have a "stats" page that would record the countries & IP addresses visited from, but that hasn't worked since Feb this year. My site does use a cookie, but that's just to allow the menu to remember which bits of the tree were open - I don't use it to store any other info. I'm not after any details of yours.

              Tony
              http://homedistiller.org
            • Tony & Elle Ackland
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 12, 2002
                > http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/booze/index.html
                >
                > they have for sale:
                >
                > Hirsch, Irving.
                > Manufacture of whiskey, brandy and cordials, by Irving Hirsch...
                > "First edition"
                > Newark, N.J. Sherman eng'r'g. co. [c1934]
                > 5 p. 1., ix-xvii. 133 numb.1. incl. plates, tables. 23 cm.
                >
                > as a reprint for $10 plus shipping

                Its a good book that one - well worth the money.

                Tony
              • active inertia
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 13, 2002
                  Hi Tony & Elle

                  Just wondering what sort of info is in this book. I have Ian's Corn Whiskey
                  book and Mike Nixon's and I'm just wondering how much info this book
                  contains what subject's. Is it a good read.

                  Thanks

                  Martin

                  >From: Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@...>
                  >To: 'Distillers newsgroup' <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: RE: [Distillers] (unknown)
                  >Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 10:16:06 +1300
                  >

                  > > http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/booze/index.html
                  > >
                  > > they have for sale:
                  > >
                  > > Hirsch, Irving.
                  > > Manufacture of whiskey, brandy and cordials, by Irving Hirsch...
                  > > "First edition"
                  > > Newark, N.J. Sherman eng'r'g. co. [c1934]
                  > > 5 p. 1., ix-xvii. 133 numb.1. incl. plates, tables. 23 cm.
                  > >
                  > > as a reprint for $10 plus shipping
                  >
                  >Its a good book that one - well worth the money.
                  >
                  >Tony

                • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 14, 2003
                    Frank - have you insulated the column ? When its running, what's the output like - is it a nice steady dribble, or does it come out in spurts. Is the still stable when running, or does it rock around ? How fast is the output coming out (eg how many mL or fluid oz per 10-15 minutes ?)

                    Tony
                  • headcavedin
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 14, 2003
                      Tony,

                      Yes, column is insulated. Stream not steady, stream only at times
                      and dribble other times. I have it attached to the ceiling to hold it
                      stable but I could do better there. I get 1 liter per hour. I would
                      like to address nanosleeps questions to help also as maybe you can
                      use them. 1350watt hotplate. I wired it up direct because it kicks
                      off for long periods of time but now of course it is on constantly. I
                      know I must do something diffrent there. it's a 2"column. I may have
                      packed it to tight, I will do over before I try again. I do get the
                      gurgle, slurping sounds in the top as nanosleep spoke of (flooding
                      he said) Could it be the pot is just to hot? I do use less water to
                      maintain 173F then I did before. I was cooking on the cook stove and
                      just kept the burner on high and actually got better goods. I know
                      this is not right as I should be doing even better. I sure do thank
                      you guys for trying to help me get things right.

                      Frank

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
                      <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                      > Frank - have you insulated the column ? When its running, what's
                      the output like - is it a nice steady dribble, or does it come out in
                      spurts. Is the still stable when running, or does it rock around ?
                      How fast is the output coming out (eg how many mL or fluid oz per 10-
                      15 minutes ?)

                      > Tony
                    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 15, 2003
                        My money is on flooding too. Either packed too tight, or simply that the extra heat is putting out more vapour than what it was use to. 1350W should be very OK with the 2" column, so its back to the packing being too tight or dirty.

                        Tony
                      • nanosleep
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 15, 2003
                          My 2" column does fine with a 1500watt internal element.
                          Your external element is probably losing some heat by
                          radiating it downward. Your boiler is probably receiving
                          less than 1350W. In either case you aren't running too
                          much power for a 2" column. The problem must lie in the
                          packing.
                          Are you using stainless/copper scrubbers for the packing?
                          If so, try "fluffing" them up more before you pack the
                          column. Also don't jamb them in there. Push the next
                          scrubber into the column so it just touches the one already
                          in there. I use a broomstick for this.

                          -A

                          <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                          > My money is on flooding too. Either packed too tight, or simply
                          that the extra heat is putting out more vapour than what it was use
                          to. 1350W should be very OK with the 2" column, so its back to the
                          packing being too tight or dirty.

                          > Tony
                        • BOKAKOB
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 15, 2003
                            I jammed mine so tight that if I push it a little more it does not allow to go in. However I did make sure that "blow" test (hehehe) works fine.

                            I can be wrong I must say.
                            Cheers, Alex...

                            Do you Yahoo!?
                          • Harley Daschund
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 16, 2003
                              Thats strange...my girl-friend says the same thing about me...:>) :>)

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 16, 2003
                                I appologize for that one guys (and Gals?)...as soon as I sent it I knew I
                                shouldnt have.... :>)

                                >From: "Harley Daschund" <harley_daschund@...>
                                >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: (unknown) Tony & Nanosleep
                                >Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 16:19:12 +0000
                                >
                                >Thats strange...my girl-friend says the same thing about me...:>) :>)
                                >

                                > >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: (unknown) Tony & Nanosleep
                                > >
                                > >I jammed mine so tight that if I push it a little more it does not allow
                                > >go in. However I did make sure that "blow" test (hehehe) works fine.

                              • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 12, 2003
                                  Haven't used a bucket still but are you using a bucket that's impervious
                                  to ethanol?
                                  Also, how do you confidently remove the methanol with the low running
                                  temperature? Does the methanol come out first like in a regular heat
                                  fired still?

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 12, 2003
                                    Sugar+water+turbo=no Methanol.....:>)

                                    >From: "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh" <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@...>
                                    >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                                    >Subject: RE: [Distillers] (unknown)
                                    >Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:51:18 +0800
                                    >
                                    >Haven't used a bucket still but are you using a bucket that's impervious
                                    >to ethanol?
                                    >Also, how do you confidently remove the methanol with the low running
                                    >temperature? Does the methanol come out first like in a regular heat
                                    >fired still?

                                  • Bob Bourne
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 12, 2003
                                      Yes, that always happened with my Amazing Still. You can't separate-out
                                      heads or tails. Complete waste of time and money IMHO. I abandoned it and
                                      finished my N/S still.

                                      Bob Bourne.
                                      > i was wondering if anyone has ever used a bucket still using a mash of
                                      sugar
                                      > water and yeast and filtered thru activated carbon only to have end
                                      product
                                      > smell like nail polish remover?

                                    • Brian Bashford
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 11, 2003
                                        Put some water with it ? ! Or perhaps wait til the morning, a large amount will have been passed through the system. Don't drive or operate heavy machinery tho'.

                                        Brian B.
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 19, 2004
                                          Harry, this particular virus comes as an attachment, and Yahoo is blocking attachments. I think that we're o.k.

                                        • Ron Miller
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 6, 2004
                                            The home brew digest (HBD.org) has gone mad! 124

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 6, 2004
                                              It sounds like some numbnut has subscribed the hbd.org mailing list
                                              subscription request email address to the distillers' mailing list.
                                              Could you please check, Harry, and delete it if necessary?

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 6, 2004
                                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Forsberg <andrew@u...>
                                                wrote:
                                                > It sounds like some numbnut has subscribed the hbd.org mailing list
                                                > subscription request email address to the distillers' mailing list.
                                                > Could you please check, Harry, and delete it if necessary?

                                                Working on it as we speak.