Re: [Distillers] juniper berries

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2001
      On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 12:21:57AM -0000, paulhend@... wrote:
      > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?

      also, check online sources in your country or ones that will ship to Oz for
      reasonable rates. I'm not sure about the shipping policies of these
      companies, but here's a couple in the US to give you an idea what to look
      for:

      http://www.worldspice.com/
      http://www.naturecraft.net/naturecraft/nature24.htm

      Matthew @ psibercom
    • midnighthorseman
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 3, 2008
        i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of the US
        of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if fresh
        was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat them any
        differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?
      • KM Services
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 3, 2008

          This link may give you some help also on the distillers site there is information under gin and on juniper berries.

          http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/juniper.html

          Cheers

          Ken Mc

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "midnighthorseman" <lbc471965@...>
            wrote:

            > i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of the US
            > of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if fresh
            > was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat them any
            > differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?

            Hi midnighthorseman, I was thinking about this a little while ago, I
            went out and got the dried Juniper berries ($9.00 aud for 70 grams) and
            other stuff, I looked for fresh berries but had no luck, I went to the
            local plant farm and ordered a Juniperus Communis tree/shrub, today it
            turned up but the tag says Juniperus Communis "Compressa"

            its compact and column shaped habit."

            http://tinyurl.com/52o4u3

            Also there is this one Juniperus Communis Linn, and I suppose theres
            many more.

            http://tinyurl.com/62h3go

            Basicly, I dont know which is the right one? Do you know which one you
            can get fresh?

            Cheers
            Marc
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
              You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
              Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
              wal

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008

                > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                > wal

                Thanks Wal for your input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know
                the sub Species of Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers?
                Any which way, Thanks!

                Cheers
                Marc
              • Robert Hubble
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                  Marc,

                  I can't speak directly to which variety the English gin makers use, but my juniper berries come from Albania, and are supplied by Penzey's Spice Company, a favorite of mine. My friends and I all agree the gin is good.

                  Bendistillers, in central Oregon's high forested country, advertises that they pick the juniper for their acclaimed gin from the local national forest, which makes that variety Western juniper, Juniperus Occidentalis. That gin has devoted followers.

                  Just a couple of data.

                  Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                  To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mavnkaf@...
                  Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:54:13 +0000
                  Subject: [Distillers] Re: juniper berries

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@... > wrote:

                  > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                  > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                  > wal

                  Thanks Wal for your input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know
                  the sub Species of Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers?
                  Any which way, Thanks!

                  Cheers
                  Marc

                  Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage. Get Windows Live SkyDrive.
                • midnighthorseman
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, paulhend@... wrote:

                    > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?

                    i harvested these juniper berries on a ridge above my home i did a
                    search on wikipedia and found the variety i harvested from.here is the
                    link.........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis
                  • midnighthorseman
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008

                      > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                      > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                      > wal
                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "midnighthorseman" <lbc471965@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of
                      the US
                      > > of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if
                      fresh
                      > > was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat
                      them any
                      > > differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?

                      here is the variety of juniper that i harvested from
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis
                      thank you wal for the info .i have read the link on gin before you
                      offered the suggestion thancks again for the help and info given and
                      might still recieve
                    • mavnkaf
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                        Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1 1/2
                        feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.

                        It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                        other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                        yards for any Conifers.

                        Cheers
                        Marc

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Marc,
                        >
                        > I can't speak directly to which variety the English gin makers use,
                        but my juniper berries come from Albania, and are supplied by
                        Penzey's Spice Company, a favorite of mine. My friends and I all
                        agree the gin is good.

                        > Bendistillers, in central Oregon's high forested country,
                        advertises that they pick the juniper for their acclaimed gin from
                        the local national forest, which makes that variety Western juniper,
                        Juniperus Occidentalis. That gin has devoted followers.

                        > Just a couple of data.Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                        >

                        > To: Distillers@...: mavnkaf@...: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:54:13
                        +0000Subject: [Distillers] Re: juniper berries

                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:>>
                        You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.>
                        Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.> walThanks Wal for your
                        input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know the sub Species of
                        Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers? Any which way,
                        Thanks!CheersMarc

                        > Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage.
                        > http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?
                        ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_062008

                      • mavnkaf
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                          Thanks midnighthorseman for that, Its the same type what Bob suggested.

                          Cheers
                          Marc

                          wrote:

                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, paulhend@ wrote:
                          > >
                          > > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?
                          > >
                          > i harvested these juniper berries on a ridge above my home i did a
                          > search on wikipedia and found the variety i harvested from.here is
                          the
                          > link.........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis

                        • Kegs
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                            Hi Marc,

                            Next time you're in Woolworths look in the spice section for dried
                            Juniper Berries.
                            I picked up 10 packets (12g per packet) for $8.00.

                            Cheers,

                            Ian...

                            On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM, mavnkaf <mavnkaf@...> wrote:
                            > Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1 1/2
                            > feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.
                            >
                            > It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                            > other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                            > yards for any Conifers.
                            >
                            > Cheers
                            > Marc
                          • mavnkaf
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 5, 2008
                              Hi Ian, thanks for that susgestion, you know, I'm one of those poeple
                              who can pass the very object I'm looking for many times before I see
                              it. I was there (safeway) today looking for liquorice root, did'nt
                              find it, I did'nt think to check for juniper berries, I will look for
                              it next time I'm there. I'm always looking to do things cheaply as
                              possible.

                              Cheers
                              Marc

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kegs <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Marc,
                              >
                              > Next time you're in Woolworths look in the spice section for dried
                              > Juniper Berries.
                              > I picked up 10 packets (12g per packet) for $8.00.
                              >

                              > Cheers,
                              >
                              > Ian...
                              >
                              > On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM, mavnkaf <mavnkaf@...> wrote:
                              > > Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1
                              1/2
                              > > feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.
                              > >
                              > > It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                              > > other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                              > > yards for any Conifers.
                              > >
                              > > Cheers
                              > > Marc

                            • Kegs
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 5, 2008
                                Hi Marc,

                                I get Liquorice Root from the local Chinese shop, I forget the price
                                but it's about $2.00 for a small bag which lasts forever.

                                Cheers,

                                Ian...