Re: [Distillers] juniper berries

  • Robert Mitchell
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2001

      You get those at health food shops. Dried, they're about $15 per kilo

        paulhend@... wrote:

      where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?

      Do You Yahoo!?

    • Matt
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2001
        On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 12:21:57AM -0000, paulhend@... wrote:
        > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?

        also, check online sources in your country or ones that will ship to Oz for
        reasonable rates. I'm not sure about the shipping policies of these
        companies, but here's a couple in the US to give you an idea what to look
        for:

        http://www.worldspice.com/
        http://www.naturecraft.net/naturecraft/nature24.htm

        Matthew @ psibercom
      • midnighthorseman
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 3, 2008
          i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of the US
          of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if fresh
          was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat them any
          differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?
        • KM Services
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 3, 2008

            This link may give you some help also on the distillers site there is information under gin and on juniper berries.

            http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/juniper.html

            Cheers

            Ken Mc

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "midnighthorseman" <lbc471965@...>
              wrote:

              > i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of the US
              > of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if fresh
              > was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat them any
              > differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?

              Hi midnighthorseman, I was thinking about this a little while ago, I
              went out and got the dried Juniper berries ($9.00 aud for 70 grams) and
              other stuff, I looked for fresh berries but had no luck, I went to the
              local plant farm and ordered a Juniperus Communis tree/shrub, today it
              turned up but the tag says Juniperus Communis "Compressa"

              its compact and column shaped habit."

              http://tinyurl.com/52o4u3

              Also there is this one Juniperus Communis Linn, and I suppose theres
              many more.

              http://tinyurl.com/62h3go

              Basicly, I dont know which is the right one? Do you know which one you
              can get fresh?

              Cheers
              Marc
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                wal

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008

                  > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                  > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                  > wal

                  Thanks Wal for your input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know
                  the sub Species of Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers?
                  Any which way, Thanks!

                  Cheers
                  Marc
                • Robert Hubble
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                    Marc,

                    I can't speak directly to which variety the English gin makers use, but my juniper berries come from Albania, and are supplied by Penzey's Spice Company, a favorite of mine. My friends and I all agree the gin is good.

                    Bendistillers, in central Oregon's high forested country, advertises that they pick the juniper for their acclaimed gin from the local national forest, which makes that variety Western juniper, Juniperus Occidentalis. That gin has devoted followers.

                    Just a couple of data.

                    Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                    To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    From: mavnkaf@...
                    Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:54:13 +0000
                    Subject: [Distillers] Re: juniper berries

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@... > wrote:

                    > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                    > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                    > wal

                    Thanks Wal for your input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know
                    the sub Species of Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers?
                    Any which way, Thanks!

                    Cheers
                    Marc

                    Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage. Get Windows Live SkyDrive.
                  • midnighthorseman
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, paulhend@... wrote:

                      > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?

                      i harvested these juniper berries on a ridge above my home i did a
                      search on wikipedia and found the variety i harvested from.here is the
                      link.........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis
                    • midnighthorseman
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008

                        > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                        > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                        > wal
                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "midnighthorseman" <lbc471965@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of
                        the US
                        > > of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if
                        fresh
                        > > was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat
                        them any
                        > > differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?

                        here is the variety of juniper that i harvested from
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis
                        thank you wal for the info .i have read the link on gin before you
                        offered the suggestion thancks again for the help and info given and
                        might still recieve
                      • mavnkaf
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                          Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1 1/2
                          feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.

                          It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                          other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                          yards for any Conifers.

                          Cheers
                          Marc

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Marc,
                          >
                          > I can't speak directly to which variety the English gin makers use,
                          but my juniper berries come from Albania, and are supplied by
                          Penzey's Spice Company, a favorite of mine. My friends and I all
                          agree the gin is good.

                          > Bendistillers, in central Oregon's high forested country,
                          advertises that they pick the juniper for their acclaimed gin from
                          the local national forest, which makes that variety Western juniper,
                          Juniperus Occidentalis. That gin has devoted followers.

                          > Just a couple of data.Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                          >

                          > To: Distillers@...: mavnkaf@...: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:54:13
                          +0000Subject: [Distillers] Re: juniper berries

                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:>>
                          You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.>
                          Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.> walThanks Wal for your
                          input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know the sub Species of
                          Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers? Any which way,
                          Thanks!CheersMarc

                          > Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage.
                          > http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?
                          ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_062008

                        • mavnkaf
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                            Thanks midnighthorseman for that, Its the same type what Bob suggested.

                            Cheers
                            Marc

                            wrote:

                            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, paulhend@ wrote:
                            > >
                            > > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?
                            > >
                            > i harvested these juniper berries on a ridge above my home i did a
                            > search on wikipedia and found the variety i harvested from.here is
                            the
                            > link.........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis

                          • Kegs
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 4, 2008
                              Hi Marc,

                              Next time you're in Woolworths look in the spice section for dried
                              Juniper Berries.
                              I picked up 10 packets (12g per packet) for $8.00.

                              Cheers,

                              Ian...

                              On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM, mavnkaf <mavnkaf@...> wrote:
                              > Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1 1/2
                              > feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.
                              >
                              > It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                              > other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                              > yards for any Conifers.
                              >
                              > Cheers
                              > Marc
                            • mavnkaf
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 5, 2008
                                Hi Ian, thanks for that susgestion, you know, I'm one of those poeple
                                who can pass the very object I'm looking for many times before I see
                                it. I was there (safeway) today looking for liquorice root, did'nt
                                find it, I did'nt think to check for juniper berries, I will look for
                                it next time I'm there. I'm always looking to do things cheaply as
                                possible.

                                Cheers
                                Marc

                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kegs <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Marc,
                                >
                                > Next time you're in Woolworths look in the spice section for dried
                                > Juniper Berries.
                                > I picked up 10 packets (12g per packet) for $8.00.
                                >

                                > Cheers,
                                >
                                > Ian...
                                >
                                > On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM, mavnkaf <mavnkaf@...> wrote:
                                > > Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1
                                1/2
                                > > feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.
                                > >
                                > > It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                                > > other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                                > > yards for any Conifers.
                                > >
                                > > Cheers
                                > > Marc

                              • Kegs
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 5, 2008
                                  Hi Marc,

                                  I get Liquorice Root from the local Chinese shop, I forget the price
                                  but it's about $2.00 for a small bag which lasts forever.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Ian...