juniper berries

  • paulhend@senet.com.au
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 31, 2001
      where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?
    • Robert Mitchell
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2001

        You get those at health food shops. Dried, they're about $15 per kilo

          paulhend@... wrote:

        where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?

        Do You Yahoo!?

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2001
          On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 12:21:57AM -0000, paulhend@... wrote:
          > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?

          also, check online sources in your country or ones that will ship to Oz for
          reasonable rates. I'm not sure about the shipping policies of these
          companies, but here's a couple in the US to give you an idea what to look
          for:

          http://www.worldspice.com/
          http://www.naturecraft.net/naturecraft/nature24.htm

          Matthew @ psibercom
        • midnighthorseman
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 3 8:42 PM
            i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of the US
            of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if fresh
            was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat them any
            differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?
          • KM Services
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 3 9:19 PM

              This link may give you some help also on the distillers site there is information under gin and on juniper berries.

              http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/juniper.html

              Cheers

              Ken Mc

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 4 12:39 AM
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "midnighthorseman" <lbc471965@...>
                wrote:

                > i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of the US
                > of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if fresh
                > was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat them any
                > differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?

                Hi midnighthorseman, I was thinking about this a little while ago, I
                went out and got the dried Juniper berries ($9.00 aud for 70 grams) and
                other stuff, I looked for fresh berries but had no luck, I went to the
                local plant farm and ordered a Juniperus Communis tree/shrub, today it
                turned up but the tag says Juniperus Communis "Compressa"

                its compact and column shaped habit."

                http://tinyurl.com/52o4u3

                Also there is this one Juniperus Communis Linn, and I suppose theres
                many more.

                http://tinyurl.com/62h3go

                Basicly, I dont know which is the right one? Do you know which one you
                can get fresh?

                Cheers
                Marc
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 4 5:11 AM
                  You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                  Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                  wal

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 4 7:54 AM

                    > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                    > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                    > wal

                    Thanks Wal for your input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know
                    the sub Species of Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers?
                    Any which way, Thanks!

                    Cheers
                    Marc
                  • Robert Hubble
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 4 9:17 AM
                      Marc,

                      I can't speak directly to which variety the English gin makers use, but my juniper berries come from Albania, and are supplied by Penzey's Spice Company, a favorite of mine. My friends and I all agree the gin is good.

                      Bendistillers, in central Oregon's high forested country, advertises that they pick the juniper for their acclaimed gin from the local national forest, which makes that variety Western juniper, Juniperus Occidentalis. That gin has devoted followers.

                      Just a couple of data.

                      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                      From: mavnkaf@...
                      Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:54:13 +0000
                      Subject: [Distillers] Re: juniper berries

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@... > wrote:

                      > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                      > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                      > wal

                      Thanks Wal for your input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know
                      the sub Species of Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers?
                      Any which way, Thanks!

                      Cheers
                      Marc

                      Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage. Get Windows Live SkyDrive.
                    • midnighthorseman
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 4 11:45 AM
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, paulhend@... wrote:

                        > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?

                        i harvested these juniper berries on a ridge above my home i did a
                        search on wikipedia and found the variety i harvested from.here is the
                        link.........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis
                      • midnighthorseman
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 4 11:51 AM

                          > You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.
                          > Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.
                          > wal
                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "midnighthorseman" <lbc471965@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > i am wanting to make me up some gin... im in the N.W. part of
                          the US
                          > > of A...i have access to fresh juniper berries but wasnt sure if
                          fresh
                          > > was any different than old dried ones and if i need to treat
                          them any
                          > > differently.is there anything else i should be aware of?

                          here is the variety of juniper that i harvested from
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis
                          thank you wal for the info .i have read the link on gin before you
                          offered the suggestion thancks again for the help and info given and
                          might still recieve
                        • mavnkaf
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 4 5:50 PM
                            Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1 1/2
                            feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.

                            It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                            other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                            yards for any Conifers.

                            Cheers
                            Marc

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Marc,
                            >
                            > I can't speak directly to which variety the English gin makers use,
                            but my juniper berries come from Albania, and are supplied by
                            Penzey's Spice Company, a favorite of mine. My friends and I all
                            agree the gin is good.

                            > Bendistillers, in central Oregon's high forested country,
                            advertises that they pick the juniper for their acclaimed gin from
                            the local national forest, which makes that variety Western juniper,
                            Juniperus Occidentalis. That gin has devoted followers.

                            > Just a couple of data.Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                            >

                            > To: Distillers@...: mavnkaf@...: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:54:13
                            +0000Subject: [Distillers] Re: juniper berries

                            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:>>
                            You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.>
                            Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.> walThanks Wal for your
                            input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know the sub Species of
                            Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers? Any which way,
                            Thanks!CheersMarc

                            > Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage.
                            > http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?
                            ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_062008

                          • mavnkaf
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 4 5:55 PM
                              Thanks midnighthorseman for that, Its the same type what Bob suggested.

                              Cheers
                              Marc

                              wrote:

                              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, paulhend@ wrote:
                              > >
                              > > where do you get these ? supermarket? health food shops?
                              > >
                              > i harvested these juniper berries on a ridge above my home i did a
                              > search on wikipedia and found the variety i harvested from.here is
                              the
                              > link.........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_occidentalis

                            • Kegs
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 4 6:21 PM
                                Hi Marc,

                                Next time you're in Woolworths look in the spice section for dried
                                Juniper Berries.
                                I picked up 10 packets (12g per packet) for $8.00.

                                Cheers,

                                Ian...

                                On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM, mavnkaf <mavnkaf@...> wrote:
                                > Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1 1/2
                                > feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.
                                >
                                > It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                                > other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                                > yards for any Conifers.
                                >
                                > Cheers
                                > Marc
                              • mavnkaf
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 5 1:37 AM
                                  Hi Ian, thanks for that susgestion, you know, I'm one of those poeple
                                  who can pass the very object I'm looking for many times before I see
                                  it. I was there (safeway) today looking for liquorice root, did'nt
                                  find it, I did'nt think to check for juniper berries, I will look for
                                  it next time I'm there. I'm always looking to do things cheaply as
                                  possible.

                                  Cheers
                                  Marc

                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kegs <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Marc,
                                  >
                                  > Next time you're in Woolworths look in the spice section for dried
                                  > Juniper Berries.
                                  > I picked up 10 packets (12g per packet) for $8.00.
                                  >

                                  > Cheers,
                                  >
                                  > Ian...
                                  >
                                  > On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM, mavnkaf <mavnkaf@...> wrote:
                                  > > Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1
                                  1/2
                                  > > feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.
                                  > >
                                  > > It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
                                  > > other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
                                  > > yards for any Conifers.
                                  > >
                                  > > Cheers
                                  > > Marc

                                • Kegs
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 5 1:20 PM
                                    Hi Marc,

                                    I get Liquorice Root from the local Chinese shop, I forget the price
                                    but it's about $2.00 for a small bag which lasts forever.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Ian...