blue distillate blues

  • mwmccaw
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2005
      the blue distillate problem is not caused by alkalinity in the wash
      per se, but by free ammonia liberated from ammonia salts (eg DAP)
      under alkaline (or even neutral) conditions. The product usually
      smells clearly of ammonia, too.

      If the first distillation is done under acid conditions, and no
      ammonia salts are in the wash, there is no ammonia to liberate.

      I have personally only seen blue product when running the original
      wash that had been neutralized. I have never neutralized the bicarb
      in the strippate, and have never seen any blue tinge nor smelled any
      ammonia in the product from these runs.

      However, if there is some source of ammonia salts in the boiler or in
      the strippate (well water in agricultural areas, residual first wash
      in the boiler, etc.), you might easily get the same result as Harry.

      Cheers,
      Mike McCaw