What Just Happened?

  • lcfd42
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2005
      I have a small problem. After I made my run as usual (using a corn
      and sugar wash). I prepared to cut the goods, I always use good water
      for this as well(Distilled spring water - local). As soon as the
      water
      hit the ETOH the mix turned a cloudy, milky color. Everything smelled
      fine, and I collected no heads or tails. My last two runs happened
      this way. What is the problem? Can someone please help, this has
      never
      happened before.
      I guess it's just something dumb I am overlooking, but someone hurry
      before I pull all of my hair out!
      Thanks, RM
    • Don Rickles
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2005
        Always use tap or spring water. Distilled water will do that almost every time.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2005
          In a message dated 7/5/2005 9:05:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          rlmcompany@... writes:

          I guess it's just something dumb I am overlooking, but someone hurry
          before I pull all of my hair out!
          Thanks, RM

          Wish I could help, But my last run did the same thing. I did exactly as
          usuall used same water and all. It smelled fine and tasted fine but turned slightly
          cloudy.

          Suitcase

        • Dave Heimer
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2005
            My well water has a lota calcium carbonate in it and usually clouds up pretty bad when I cut my stuff. After a coupla days it precipitates out and I decant the booze off the white stuff and set the dregs aside 'till I do my next run.

            Regards, Dave H.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2005
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Heimer" <dheimer@p...> wrote:
              > My well water has a lota calcium carbonate in it and usually clouds
              up pretty bad when I cut my stuff. After a coupla days it
              precipitates out and I decant the booze off the white stuff and set
              the dregs aside 'till I do my next run.

              > Regards, Dave H.

              I'm having a similar problem. Made a Mango Brandy and had dried mango
              infusing in the Brandy for a few days. all good.

              Then filtered out the mango and fruit particles. all good

              Added 20ml of honey per 750ml bottle and some water about 50ml (botteled)
              Next day there is ffloating web like particles. this is at 50% abv.

              The spirit isn't cloudy just these floating particles...
            • greg tufts
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2005
                Did you remove the fat from the honey ? I use local
                pasturized honey and still have to remove fat to avoid
                it having floaties on my honey liqueur.
                cheers
                greg

                ---------------------------------
                <dheimer@p...> wrote:
                > My well water has a lota calcium carbonate in it and
                usually clouds
                up pretty bad when I cut my stuff. After a coupla
                days it
                precipitates out and I decant the booze off the white
                stuff and set
                the dregs aside 'till I do my next run.

                > Regards, Dave H.

                Daylight Time,
                > rlmcompany@m... writes:
                >
                > I guess it's just something dumb I am overlooking,
                but someone hurry
                > before I pull all of my hair out!
                > Thanks, RM
                >

                > Wish I could help, But my last run did the same
                thing. I did
                exactly as
                > usuall used same water and all. It smelled fine
                and tasted fine
                but turned slightly
                > cloudy.
                >
                > Suitcase

                I'm having a similar problem. Made a Mango Brandy and
                had dried mango
                infusing in the Brandy for a few days. all good.

                Then filtered out the mango and fruit particles. all
                good

                Added 20ml of honey per 750ml bottle and some water
                about 50ml (botteled)
                Next day there is ffloating web like particles. this
                is at 50% abv.

                The spirit isn't cloudy just these floating
                particles...

                Distillers list archives :
                http://archive.nnytech.net/

                Terms of Service.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 6, 2005
                  Fat? or wax? Anyway, how do you get rid of it? Disolve
                  in water and skim?
                  Cheers,
                  Rob.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • greg tufts
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 6, 2005
                    Sorry, wax. Diluted with what water i needed, shook in
                    a bottle, then skim
                    greg

                    ---------------------------------

                    --- greg tufts <gregtufts@...> wrote:

                    > Did you remove the fat from the honey ? I use local
                    > pasturized honey and still have to remove fat to
                    > avoid
                    > it having floaties on my honey liqueur.
                    > cheers
                    > greg
                    > --- mampoer_boer <mampoer_boer@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > ---------------------------------
                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Heimer"
                    > <dheimer@p...> wrote:
                    > > My well water has a lota calcium carbonate in it
                    > and
                    > usually clouds
                    > up pretty bad when I cut my stuff. After a coupla
                    > days it
                    > precipitates out and I decant the booze off the
                    > white
                    > stuff and set
                    > the dregs aside 'till I do my next run.
                    > >
                    > > Regards, Dave H.