First true attempt gone sour.

  • deathscythe6x3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2001
      Well I followed all the instructions that I was given in the replies
      and came up with another still as well.

      The still I used was made from an "old" heavy-duty pressure cooker I
      found in my dads basement. It is very big and can hold maby over 3
      gallons. Where the little dancing noisemaker thing went I put a 3ft
      clear plastic hose that withstood the heat quite well. From there I
      ran the hose into a gallon bucked filled with cool water and placed
      Ice packs on top of the water to help keep the cool. From the
      condenser bucket I ran the hose to a fairly good sized bowl that I
      fit one of those new plastic wrap things that looks like a shower
      cap, and I used that mainly to keep bugs out.

      The wash was made of yeast, sugar, and lemon juice that I let ferment
      for about 4 days. It was about maybe 3 liters or so. When I decided
      I would check it smelled like wine that was about 30 years old. It
      smelled like alcohol big time! I tasted it by sucking some up
      through a straw and spitting it out. It was very sour/alcohol
      tasting and made my tongue tingle.

      Next I filtered the wash into the still and distilled it. When the
      first 8 ounzes or so came out into the bowl it smelled like cheep
      whiskey and sort of burned me nose when I took a big whiff. I
      thought that might be the methanol so I threw it out and placed the
      bowl back. The next 12 ounzes or so that came out did not smell
      anywhere like the last and I kept it and let it cool and I drank it.
      It was VERY bitter but kind of strong since I was swaying back and
      forth after drinking it in a few seconds. The rest that came out
      witch was about a liter-smelled bad and tasted EVEN MORE bitter. The
      last liter or so was shit. It didn't do anything and was so weak it
      couldn't qualify as a wine cooler.

      Do you guys know what went wrong here? How come the strength went
      down and it tasted worse as it went along?