Re: [Distillers] Re: caramel booze

  • dearknarl
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 12:07 AM
      I assumed that caramel was still mainly sucrose (inverted?), some of it
      having changed into esters, colour compounds and other stuff. Is that right?
      Because it wouldn't really matter if some of the sugar became unfermentable,
      as long as the majority of it was still fermentable. Just add a little more.

      Cheers,
      knarl.

      Knarl,

      > Carmelization is one thing home brewersare careful to avoid when
      > using DME, LME, or beer kits containing these products, the carmelized
      > sugars are unfermentable. I would assume the same of all sugars. But I
      > may be mistaken!
      >
      > Good luck,
      > pfcslr

    • pfcslr
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2 1:23 AM
        I was mainly rembering a batch of amber ale that my sister compaired
        to DR Pepper with a low ABV. However Edison returned to carbon
        filiments for the light bulb after disreguarding it and testing
        several hundred different options; if I am not completely mistaken!
        If it works out please pass on the details.

        May the spirits be with you!,
        pfcslr

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6 5:45 AM
          Toast (burnt bread) was sometimes added for flavouring. Most people
          who burn their grain wash on electic elements are not pleased with the
          resulting flavour!
          Normally caramel (burnt sugar) is added to brandy, rum and sometimes
          whisky after, as it also gives colour. Your molasses contains
          naturally caramelised sugars from the refining process anyway.
          wal