Re: [Distillers] Re: Stripping run

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 1, 2005
      Mark wrote:
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Stripping run

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
      <abbababbaccc@y...> wrote:
      (snip)
      > Now I'm not a chemist, but isn't it ethyl acetate that is
      converted
      > by bicarbonate? Does anyone know the speed of the conversion
      process
      > and whether it is accelerated by heating? If reaction is slow you
      > could do the stripping run in a "amazing still" type of a system.
      > Anyone tried bicarbonated mash in one of those?
      >
      > - Riku
      =================
      I have the same questions - does it take some time for the baking
      soda to do its job? Or can it be added immediately before the 2nd
      run?

      Also, is there any benefit to cutting it back to like 50abv before
      adding the baking soda?

      Mark
      ===============
      It's a slow, reversible reaction. Slow because it's between a weak fatty
      acid and a weak base. Giving it time to run its course and arrive at
      equilibrium pays dividends. I would give te reaction a few days to a week
      to run its course. Such reactions are not helped significantly by heat,
      despite the general "rule" that heat speeds chemical reactions.

      Most strippate that you might treat this way will be around 50%abv anyway,
      which is as concentrated as you want the ethanol to be. Anything stronger
      inhibits the reaction ... remember ... it's reversible, and one of the
      products is ethanol. Aeration is useful, not for the oxygen it contains, but
      because the agitation helps get rid of the carbonic acid (dissolved CO2)
      that is on the ethanol side of the reaction. In fact, any agitation is
      useful, just as it is when trying to 'flatten' a fizzy drink.

      All the best,
      Mike N
    • dearknarl
      Message 55 of 55 , Jul 6, 2005
        Good work fellas!

        dropped_pie made a post a while ago that said esters should have more
        attention on this group. I think we made up some ground! ;-)

        Cheers,
        knarl.