caramel booze

  • dearknarl
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
      Gday Guys,

      Just had a thought when I was making some caramel to put in my rum.

      Has anyone tried to make a wash with caramel in it? I was thinking just
      caramelise a few kg in a sugar wash, or maybe caramalise the sugar in a
      50:50 sugar molasses rum wash. Think it would change the flavour much? For
      that matter, think it would change the flavour for the better?

      Cheers,
      knarl.

    • pfcslr
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, dearknarl <dearknarl@g...> wrote:
        > Gday Guys,
        >
        > > Has anyone tried to make a wash with caramel in it?

        > Cheers,
        > knarl.

        Knarl,

        Carmelization is one thing home brewersare careful to avoid when
        using DME, LME, or beer kits containing these products, the carmelized
        sugars are unfermentable. I would assume the same of all sugars. But I
        may be mistaken!

        Good luck,
        pfcslr
      • dearknarl
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
          I assumed that caramel was still mainly sucrose (inverted?), some of it
          having changed into esters, colour compounds and other stuff. Is that right?
          Because it wouldn't really matter if some of the sugar became unfermentable,
          as long as the majority of it was still fermentable. Just add a little more.

          Cheers,
          knarl.

          Knarl,

          > Carmelization is one thing home brewersare careful to avoid when
          > using DME, LME, or beer kits containing these products, the carmelized
          > sugars are unfermentable. I would assume the same of all sugars. But I
          > may be mistaken!
          >
          > Good luck,
          > pfcslr

        • pfcslr
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
            I was mainly rembering a batch of amber ale that my sister compaired
            to DR Pepper with a low ABV. However Edison returned to carbon
            filiments for the light bulb after disreguarding it and testing
            several hundred different options; if I am not completely mistaken!
            If it works out please pass on the details.

            May the spirits be with you!,

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2005
              Toast (burnt bread) was sometimes added for flavouring. Most people
              who burn their grain wash on electic elements are not pleased with the
              resulting flavour!
              Normally caramel (burnt sugar) is added to brandy, rum and sometimes
              whisky after, as it also gives colour. Your molasses contains
              naturally caramelised sugars from the refining process anyway.
              wal