Re: Stripping run

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 1, 2005
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Riku,
      > I don't aerate (no means to do it), just use bicarb
      > with a 1 hour reflux (to get the esters broken down)
      > prior to distilling. With this method the heads are
      > definately easier to separate. This may be because
      > they somehow get more "compact", or, more likely the
      > low bp esters have been significantly reduced.
      > As to low bp alcohols: surely only methanol is lower
      > than ethanol? The bicarb would have little effect on
      > aldehydes and ketones, which presumably now
      > predominate in the heads.
      > aeration, as well as literally blowing away the lowest
      > bp components may also oxidise some of the aldehydes.
      > Cheers,
      > Rob.

      I thought that the addition of baking soda raised the pH - which
      allows the "bad" alcohol to be converted to acetic acid - which has
      a much higher boiling point - which makes it easier to 'still out.

      Mark
    • dearknarl
      Message 55 of 55 , Jul 6, 2005
        Good work fellas!

        dropped_pie made a post a while ago that said esters should have more
        attention on this group. I think we made up some ground! ;-)

        Cheers,
        knarl.