Re: Basarana

  • Sven Pfitt
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 7:32 AM
      Yup, got them swapped.

      11 pettles is japanese and is toxic.

      6or7 pettles Chinese is not toxic.

      It is still possible to distinguish if you have whole star anise, but
      not ground Star Anise which the article probably meant (It looks like
      you hit the FDA site).

      Sorry for the switch.

      Thanks Harry for catching that.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
      > > Chinese star anise is used as a replacement for Mediterranean
      > (green)
      > > aniseed for economic reasons. It is not toxic according to the
      > herbal
      > > literature.
      > > wal
      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
      > wrote:
      > <snip>
      > > >
      > > > Do NOT USE CHINESE {11 point} Star Anise it is toxic.
      > > >
      > > > Sven
      >

      > Sven,
      > I think you may be confusing CHINESE with JAPANESE.
      >
      > Star Anise (Badian)
      > Botanical name: Illicium verum
      >
      > Star anise has properties very similar to anise (Pimpinella
      anisum),
      > although they are not botanically related.
      > The plant is native to the south-eastern part of China and to
      > Vietnam and the dried fruits are widely used in Asian cooking.
      >

      > Star Anise and Anise must NOT be confused with the POISONOUS
      > JAPANESE Star Anise (Illicium anisatum - Illicium japonicum -
      > Illicium lanceolatum - Illicium religiosum).
      > A closely related species, the Japanese star anise, contains
      > sikimitoxin and is toxic. Once star anise has been dried and
      > processed, it is not possible to visually distinguish between the
      > Chinese and Japanese forms.
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1 7:40 AM
        Hang on. Why is the poisonous stuff on the market? Is
        it cheaper to grow? Does it actually have a use?
        So many questions, so little (shot) glass.
        Rob.

        Yahoo! Sports
        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 7 3:26 AM
          Their is a recipe for Pacharan/Patxaran (Basarana in Basque) in msg
          3933 which came from a Spanish source. Note that the quantity for the
          camomile flowers is 6 (1tsp) and the peel is from 1 orange.
          The base spirit is "anis seco" and the quickest way to make it is to
          add aniseed essential oil to a neutral alcohol. In "Distillation and
          Rectification of Alcohol" by William T Brannt (1885) there is a recipe
          for an Anise Liqueur using aniseed essential oil which scaled down is
          1.5 grams aniseed essential oil (approx 1/2 tsp)/litre of neutral
          40%abv. For a sweet anise liqueur, add 1 cup of sugar/litre.

          wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Ackland" <Tony.Ackland@c...>