Re: Supermarket moonshine with EC-1118
- The one time a did an all white sugar wash (18%), too much acidity was
the problem. I had to add a lot of potassium bicarbonate to keep the
pH between 3 and 4 as per the Cone Protocol. You might try skipping
the lemons next time. My subsequent washes all included at least 20%
molasses and the pH was buffered perfectly throughout the fermentation.
--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bokakob" <bokakob@y...> wrote:
> This is the follow up to my earlier post
> "Supermarket Moonshine with EC-1118."
> The fermentation went well even though I wish it took less than three
> For those lazy enough to skip the original post here is the
> compressed version:
> 1.Dumped 5LB (2.27 kg) of sugar in 18 liter plastic bucket dry.
> 2.Squeezed two lemons on top sugar is dry at the bottom.
> 3.Dropped half cup of unsulphured molasses there sugar is still dry.
> 4.Toppled with cold tap water to 14 liters and mixed well.
> 5.Sprinkled 20 gm of dry EC-1118 on top.
> 6.Stirred and left alone at temperatures in between 75*F~85*F
> Here is what I did after the initial procedure.
> After three days I added a bit more sugar to the initial 5 lbs
> (2.27 kg) and added a bit more water making the total amount of 3.4kg
> in 15 L of wash (sugar dissolved). This translates roughly to 13.5%
> a.b.v. I was not able to get 18%. Perhaps more nutrients, more sugar
> and time would do the trick. To me those extra 4% are not worth
> struggling for.
> The ferment is dry with all sugar converted. S.G. is 0.99
> It is a clear and dark colored liquid without suspended particles.
> It is semi-translucent. It smells pleasantly fruity with hint of
> molasses. The taste is rather palatable.
> EC-1118 works well in this setup.
> Sequential addition of sugar in several batches to the total required
> amount will ensure evenly paced fermentation with less strain on the