Re: Basarana

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
      > Chinese star anise is used as a replacement for Mediterranean
      (green)
      > aniseed for economic reasons. It is not toxic according to the
      herbal
      > literature.
      > wal
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
      wrote:
      <snip>

      > > Do NOT USE CHINESE {11 point} Star Anise it is toxic.
      > >
      > > Sven

      Sven,
      I think you may be confusing CHINESE with JAPANESE.

      Star Anise (Badian)
      Botanical name: Illicium verum

      Star anise has properties very similar to anise (Pimpinella anisum),
      although they are not botanically related.
      The plant is native to the south-eastern part of China and to
      Vietnam and the dried fruits are widely used in Asian cooking.

      Star Anise and Anise must NOT be confused with the POISONOUS
      JAPANESE Star Anise (Illicium anisatum - Illicium japonicum -
      Illicium lanceolatum - Illicium religiosum).
      A closely related species, the Japanese star anise, contains
      sikimitoxin and is toxic. Once star anise has been dried and
      processed, it is not possible to visually distinguish between the
      Chinese and Japanese forms.

    • Sven Pfitt
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
        Yup, got them swapped.

        11 pettles is japanese and is toxic.

        6or7 pettles Chinese is not toxic.

        It is still possible to distinguish if you have whole star anise, but
        not ground Star Anise which the article probably meant (It looks like
        you hit the FDA site).

        Sorry for the switch.

        Thanks Harry for catching that.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
        > > Chinese star anise is used as a replacement for Mediterranean
        > (green)
        > > aniseed for economic reasons. It is not toxic according to the
        > herbal
        > > literature.
        > > wal
        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
        > wrote:
        > <snip>
        > > >
        > > > Do NOT USE CHINESE {11 point} Star Anise it is toxic.
        > > >
        > > > Sven
        >

        > Sven,
        > I think you may be confusing CHINESE with JAPANESE.
        >
        > Star Anise (Badian)
        > Botanical name: Illicium verum
        >
        > Star anise has properties very similar to anise (Pimpinella
        anisum),
        > although they are not botanically related.
        > The plant is native to the south-eastern part of China and to
        > Vietnam and the dried fruits are widely used in Asian cooking.
        >

        > Star Anise and Anise must NOT be confused with the POISONOUS
        > JAPANESE Star Anise (Illicium anisatum - Illicium japonicum -
        > Illicium lanceolatum - Illicium religiosum).
        > A closely related species, the Japanese star anise, contains
        > sikimitoxin and is toxic. Once star anise has been dried and
        > processed, it is not possible to visually distinguish between the
        > Chinese and Japanese forms.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry
      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
          Hang on. Why is the poisonous stuff on the market? Is
          it cheaper to grow? Does it actually have a use?
          So many questions, so little (shot) glass.
          Rob.

          Yahoo! Sports
          http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 7, 2005
            Their is a recipe for Pacharan/Patxaran (Basarana in Basque) in msg
            3933 which came from a Spanish source. Note that the quantity for the
            camomile flowers is 6 (1tsp) and the peel is from 1 orange.
            The base spirit is "anis seco" and the quickest way to make it is to
            add aniseed essential oil to a neutral alcohol. In "Distillation and
            Rectification of Alcohol" by William T Brannt (1885) there is a recipe
            for an Anise Liqueur using aniseed essential oil which scaled down is
            1.5 grams aniseed essential oil (approx 1/2 tsp)/litre of neutral
            40%abv. For a sweet anise liqueur, add 1 cup of sugar/litre.

            wal

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Ackland" <Tony.Ackland@c...>