Re: Basarana

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 5:02 AM
      Chinese star anise is used as a replacement for Mediterranean (green)
      aniseed for economic reasons. It is not toxic according to the herbal
      literature.
      wal

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1 6:10 AM
        > Chinese star anise is used as a replacement for Mediterranean
        (green)
        > aniseed for economic reasons. It is not toxic according to the
        herbal
        > literature.
        > wal
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
        wrote:
        <snip>

        > > Do NOT USE CHINESE {11 point} Star Anise it is toxic.
        > >
        > > Sven

        Sven,
        I think you may be confusing CHINESE with JAPANESE.

        Star Anise (Badian)
        Botanical name: Illicium verum

        Star anise has properties very similar to anise (Pimpinella anisum),
        although they are not botanically related.
        The plant is native to the south-eastern part of China and to
        Vietnam and the dried fruits are widely used in Asian cooking.

        Star Anise and Anise must NOT be confused with the POISONOUS
        JAPANESE Star Anise (Illicium anisatum - Illicium japonicum -
        Illicium lanceolatum - Illicium religiosum).
        A closely related species, the Japanese star anise, contains
        sikimitoxin and is toxic. Once star anise has been dried and
        processed, it is not possible to visually distinguish between the
        Chinese and Japanese forms.

      • Sven Pfitt
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1 7:32 AM
          Yup, got them swapped.

          11 pettles is japanese and is toxic.

          6or7 pettles Chinese is not toxic.

          It is still possible to distinguish if you have whole star anise, but
          not ground Star Anise which the article probably meant (It looks like
          you hit the FDA site).

          Sorry for the switch.

          Thanks Harry for catching that.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
          > > Chinese star anise is used as a replacement for Mediterranean
          > (green)
          > > aniseed for economic reasons. It is not toxic according to the
          > herbal
          > > literature.
          > > wal
          > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
          > wrote:
          > <snip>
          > > >
          > > > Do NOT USE CHINESE {11 point} Star Anise it is toxic.
          > > >
          > > > Sven
          >

          > Sven,
          > I think you may be confusing CHINESE with JAPANESE.
          >
          > Star Anise (Badian)
          > Botanical name: Illicium verum
          >
          > Star anise has properties very similar to anise (Pimpinella
          anisum),
          > although they are not botanically related.
          > The plant is native to the south-eastern part of China and to
          > Vietnam and the dried fruits are widely used in Asian cooking.
          >

          > Star Anise and Anise must NOT be confused with the POISONOUS
          > JAPANESE Star Anise (Illicium anisatum - Illicium japonicum -
          > Illicium lanceolatum - Illicium religiosum).
          > A closely related species, the Japanese star anise, contains
          > sikimitoxin and is toxic. Once star anise has been dried and
          > processed, it is not possible to visually distinguish between the
          > Chinese and Japanese forms.
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry
        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1 7:40 AM
            Hang on. Why is the poisonous stuff on the market? Is
            it cheaper to grow? Does it actually have a use?
            So many questions, so little (shot) glass.
            Rob.

            Yahoo! Sports
            http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 7 3:26 AM
              Their is a recipe for Pacharan/Patxaran (Basarana in Basque) in msg
              3933 which came from a Spanish source. Note that the quantity for the
              camomile flowers is 6 (1tsp) and the peel is from 1 orange.
              The base spirit is "anis seco" and the quickest way to make it is to
              add aniseed essential oil to a neutral alcohol. In "Distillation and
              Rectification of Alcohol" by William T Brannt (1885) there is a recipe
              for an Anise Liqueur using aniseed essential oil which scaled down is
              1.5 grams aniseed essential oil (approx 1/2 tsp)/litre of neutral
              40%abv. For a sweet anise liqueur, add 1 cup of sugar/litre.

              wal