Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Supermarket moonshine with EC-1118

Expand Messages
  • bokakob
    This is the follow up to my earlier post Supermarket Moonshine with EC-1118. The fermentation went well even though I wish it took less than three weeks. For
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      This is the follow up to my earlier post
      "Supermarket Moonshine with EC-1118."
      The fermentation went well even though I wish it took less than three
      weeks.

      For those lazy enough to skip the original post here is the
      compressed version:
      1.Dumped 5LB (2.27 kg) of sugar in 18 liter plastic bucket – dry.
      2.Squeezed two lemons on top – sugar is dry at the bottom.
      3.Dropped half cup of unsulphured molasses there – sugar is still dry.
      4.Toppled with cold tap water to 14 liters and mixed well.
      5.Sprinkled 20 gm of dry EC-1118 on top.
      6.Stirred and left alone at temperatures in between 75*F~85*F


      Here is what I did after the initial procedure.

      After three days I added a bit more sugar to the initial 5 lbs
      (2.27 kg) and added a bit more water making the total amount of 3.4kg
      in 15 L of wash (sugar dissolved). This translates roughly to 13.5%
      a.b.v. I was not able to get 18%. Perhaps more nutrients, more sugar
      and time would do the trick. To me those extra 4% are not worth
      struggling for.

      The ferment is dry with all sugar converted. S.G. is 0.99
      It is a clear and dark colored liquid without suspended particles.
      It is semi-translucent. It smells pleasantly fruity with hint of
      molasses. The taste is rather palatable.

      Conclusion:
      =================================
      EC-1118 works well in this setup.
      Sequential addition of sugar in several batches to the total required
      amount will ensure evenly paced fermentation with less strain on the
      yeast.
    • toddk63
      The one time a did an all white sugar wash (18%), too much acidity was the problem. I had to add a lot of potassium bicarbonate to keep the pH between 3 and 4
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        The one time a did an all white sugar wash (18%), too much acidity was
        the problem. I had to add a lot of potassium bicarbonate to keep the
        pH between 3 and 4 as per the Cone Protocol. You might try skipping
        the lemons next time. My subsequent washes all included at least 20%
        molasses and the pH was buffered perfectly throughout the fermentation.

        Todd K.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bokakob" <bokakob@y...> wrote:
        > This is the follow up to my earlier post
        > "Supermarket Moonshine with EC-1118."
        > The fermentation went well even though I wish it took less than three
        > weeks.
        >
        > For those lazy enough to skip the original post here is the
        > compressed version:
        > 1.Dumped 5LB (2.27 kg) of sugar in 18 liter plastic bucket – dry.
        > 2.Squeezed two lemons on top – sugar is dry at the bottom.
        > 3.Dropped half cup of unsulphured molasses there – sugar is still dry.
        > 4.Toppled with cold tap water to 14 liters and mixed well.
        > 5.Sprinkled 20 gm of dry EC-1118 on top.
        > 6.Stirred and left alone at temperatures in between 75*F~85*F
        >
        >
        > Here is what I did after the initial procedure.
        >
        > After three days I added a bit more sugar to the initial 5 lbs
        > (2.27 kg) and added a bit more water making the total amount of 3.4kg
        > in 15 L of wash (sugar dissolved). This translates roughly to 13.5%
        > a.b.v. I was not able to get 18%. Perhaps more nutrients, more sugar
        > and time would do the trick. To me those extra 4% are not worth
        > struggling for.
        >
        > The ferment is dry with all sugar converted. S.G. is 0.99
        > It is a clear and dark colored liquid without suspended particles.
        > It is semi-translucent. It smells pleasantly fruity with hint of
        > molasses. The taste is rather palatable.
        >
        > Conclusion:
        > =================================
        > EC-1118 works well in this setup.
        > Sequential addition of sugar in several batches to the total required
        > amount will ensure evenly paced fermentation with less strain on the
        > yeast.
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.