Re: Basarana

  • Sven Pfitt
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 4:49 AM
      Everything I have read about Absinthe and Pastis indicates that
      macerating the anise, Star Anise, fennel, etc and then distilling it
      produces a smoother rounder flavor. Star anise is recomended to be
      held to 5%, or less, of the total herb content.

      Do NOT USE CHINESE {11 point} Star Anise it is toxic.

      Sven

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Ackland"
      > <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
      > > I recently had a question re Basarana. Can anyone (Wal ?) help
      > Sacha
      > > out ?
      > >
      > > *****************************
      > > Dear Tony
      > >
      > > I thought you might like to know of a traditional Basque recipe
      > > for "Basarana" (literally "wild plum"), also known as patxaran.
      > It's a
      > > liqueur made from sloes - about a third of the volume of your
      > > recipient, and sometimes a handful of blackberries to add colour,
      > > topped up and steeped for a couple of months in "anisado" - anise
      > > liqueur. Some people add vanilla pods, oranges and even a few
      > coffee
      > > beans, but I think the sloes and blackberries are the basic
      > > traditional ingredients. Most people here on the northern side of
      > the
      > > Basque country (in France) go to the other side (in Spain) to buy
      > the
      > > anisado, but I'm interested in making my own, which is how I got
      > onto
      > > your site in the first place. I'm still researching, but if you
      > have
      > > any ideas or know any recipes for anisado, I'd love to know.

      ....snip.....

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1 4:57 AM
        Anisado is the Spanish version of an anise flavoured liqueur - look in
        Recipes of the Files (see left box) for arak, raki, ouzo, anisette.
        You will also find Patxaran which is similar to Sloe gin but using an
        anise flavoured spirit as the base.
        wal

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1 5:02 AM
          Chinese star anise is used as a replacement for Mediterranean (green)
          aniseed for economic reasons. It is not toxic according to the herbal
          literature.
          wal

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1 6:10 AM
            > Chinese star anise is used as a replacement for Mediterranean
            (green)
            > aniseed for economic reasons. It is not toxic according to the
            herbal
            > literature.
            > wal
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
            wrote:
            <snip>

            > > Do NOT USE CHINESE {11 point} Star Anise it is toxic.
            > >
            > > Sven

            Sven,
            I think you may be confusing CHINESE with JAPANESE.

            Star Anise (Badian)
            Botanical name: Illicium verum

            Star anise has properties very similar to anise (Pimpinella anisum),
            although they are not botanically related.
            The plant is native to the south-eastern part of China and to
            Vietnam and the dried fruits are widely used in Asian cooking.

            Star Anise and Anise must NOT be confused with the POISONOUS
            JAPANESE Star Anise (Illicium anisatum - Illicium japonicum -
            Illicium lanceolatum - Illicium religiosum).
            A closely related species, the Japanese star anise, contains
            sikimitoxin and is toxic. Once star anise has been dried and
            processed, it is not possible to visually distinguish between the
            Chinese and Japanese forms.

          • Sven Pfitt
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1 7:32 AM
              Yup, got them swapped.

              11 pettles is japanese and is toxic.

              6or7 pettles Chinese is not toxic.

              It is still possible to distinguish if you have whole star anise, but
              not ground Star Anise which the article probably meant (It looks like
              you hit the FDA site).

              Sorry for the switch.

              Thanks Harry for catching that.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
              > > Chinese star anise is used as a replacement for Mediterranean
              > (green)
              > > aniseed for economic reasons. It is not toxic according to the
              > herbal
              > > literature.
              > > wal
              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@h...>
              > wrote:
              > <snip>
              > > >
              > > > Do NOT USE CHINESE {11 point} Star Anise it is toxic.
              > > >
              > > > Sven
              >

              > Sven,
              > I think you may be confusing CHINESE with JAPANESE.
              >
              > Star Anise (Badian)
              > Botanical name: Illicium verum
              >
              > Star anise has properties very similar to anise (Pimpinella
              anisum),
              > although they are not botanically related.
              > The plant is native to the south-eastern part of China and to
              > Vietnam and the dried fruits are widely used in Asian cooking.
              >

              > Star Anise and Anise must NOT be confused with the POISONOUS
              > JAPANESE Star Anise (Illicium anisatum - Illicium japonicum -
              > Illicium lanceolatum - Illicium religiosum).
              > A closely related species, the Japanese star anise, contains
              > sikimitoxin and is toxic. Once star anise has been dried and
              > processed, it is not possible to visually distinguish between the
              > Chinese and Japanese forms.
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry
            • Robert Thomas
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1 7:40 AM
                Hang on. Why is the poisonous stuff on the market? Is
                it cheaper to grow? Does it actually have a use?
                So many questions, so little (shot) glass.
                Rob.

                Yahoo! Sports
                http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 7 3:26 AM
                  Their is a recipe for Pacharan/Patxaran (Basarana in Basque) in msg
                  3933 which came from a Spanish source. Note that the quantity for the
                  camomile flowers is 6 (1tsp) and the peel is from 1 orange.
                  The base spirit is "anis seco" and the quickest way to make it is to
                  add aniseed essential oil to a neutral alcohol. In "Distillation and
                  Rectification of Alcohol" by William T Brannt (1885) there is a recipe
                  for an Anise Liqueur using aniseed essential oil which scaled down is
                  1.5 grams aniseed essential oil (approx 1/2 tsp)/litre of neutral
                  40%abv. For a sweet anise liqueur, add 1 cup of sugar/litre.

                  wal