First Molasses/Sugar Run

  • tropest
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 25, 2005
      I have a 50 litre reflux still with a 42inch by 2inch copper column,
      see: http://www.moonshine-still.com/page15.htm, to avoid any confusion.

      I normally do sugar washes, but today I am distilling a 50/50
      molasses/sugar was. All volumes are 60 litres.

      The scene so far: I am running the reflux as a pot (s/s scrubbers
      removed).

      Lesson 1: you can fit 60litres into a 50litre keg, but once the
      molasses/sugar wash starts to boil, it froths out through the outlet.
      Quickly removed 10litres, now all is well.

      Lesson 2: steam started appearing from my outlet tube, made my eyes
      water, actually sting. Quickly started the cooling water, and out
      began trickling clear gold. First 100ml went to the garden.

      The spirit has a smell and taste of rum.

      Now a few silly questions come to mind regarding using pot stills: my
      wash is sitting at 92C, my head temp. is 83C (unlike the reflux temp.
      of 78C). Is this correct?

      My alchometer gives me a reading of 85%. Is it really necessary to run
      the alcohol through again?

      Regards to all
      Steve
    • Jaeger
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 25, 2005
        Sounds like a good run to me! Temps will vary when using a pot still when compared to a reflux, nature of the beast.
        If you like the flavor why run it through again, 85% is very strong already, why make it stronger if you are trying to make a rum.
        Congrats on the great (and tasty) sounding rum!
        What do you ferment all of that in? And you are using a standard 15.5 gal keg and are able to do 50 l of wash at one time? (Just wondering if that is the max for a reflux run aswell)
        Jaeger

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 25, 2005
          The temp is what you would expect. The vapour has more water hence the
          elevated temp. I wouldn't re-distill it as you would lose some flavour.

          What do you intend doing with it from here? (Apart from drinking it!).
          Are you going to add spices or soak on oak or ???

          Cheers,
          Lindsay.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tropest" <tropest@y...> wrote:
          > I have a 50 litre reflux still with a 42inch by 2inch copper column,
          > see: http://www.moonshine-still.com/page15.htm, to avoid any confusion.
          >
          > I normally do sugar washes, but today I am distilling a 50/50
          > molasses/sugar was. All volumes are 60 litres.
          >
          > The scene so far: I am running the reflux as a pot (s/s scrubbers
          > removed).
          >
          > Lesson 1: you can fit 60litres into a 50litre keg, but once the
          > molasses/sugar wash starts to boil, it froths out through the outlet.
          > Quickly removed 10litres, now all is well.
          >
          > Lesson 2: steam started appearing from my outlet tube, made my eyes
          > water, actually sting. Quickly started the cooling water, and out
          > began trickling clear gold. First 100ml went to the garden.
          >
          > The spirit has a smell and taste of rum.
          >
          > Now a few silly questions come to mind regarding using pot stills: my
          > wash is sitting at 92C, my head temp. is 83C (unlike the reflux temp.
          > of 78C). Is this correct?
          >
          > My alchometer gives me a reading of 85%. Is it really necessary to run
          > the alcohol through again?
          >
          > Regards to all
          > Steve
        • tropest
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 25, 2005
            Hi Lindsay

            All went OK. The molasses fumes gave the family some grief, but the
            Boss won't complain once she gets a taste, and clean-up was easier
            than I thought.

            I've ended up with 7.5litres of 85%. I'll soak it on toasted oak
            chips, 15g per litre, then enjoy

            Kind regards
            Steve

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x> wrote:
            > The temp is what you would expect. The vapour has more water hence
            the
            > elevated temp. I wouldn't re-distill it as you would lose some
            flavour.

            > What do you intend doing with it from here? (Apart from drinking
            it!).
            > Are you going to add spices or soak on oak or ???
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Lindsay.

          • Lindsay Williams
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 26, 2005
              Good one, Steve. I do rum the lazy/easy way. I soak rum barrel chips
              for a couple of weeks and then add Jamaican Rum essence. Tastes OK to me!

              Cheers,
              Lindsay.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tropest" <tropest@y...> wrote:
              > Hi Lindsay
              >
              > All went OK. The molasses fumes gave the family some grief, but the
              > Boss won't complain once she gets a taste, and clean-up was easier
              > than I thought.
              >
              > I've ended up with 7.5litres of 85%. I'll soak it on toasted oak
              > chips, 15g per litre, then enjoy
              >
              > Kind regards
              > Steve
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x> wrote:
              > > The temp is what you would expect. The vapour has more water hence
              > the
              > > elevated temp. I wouldn't re-distill it as you would lose some
              > flavour.
              > >
              > > What do you intend doing with it from here? (Apart from drinking
              > it!).
              > > Are you going to add spices or soak on oak or ???
              > >
              > > Cheers,
              > > Lindsay.

            • Sven Pfitt
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 26, 2005
                You might want to cut it down to 60% from 85% to do the aging on
                chips. The profile of the compounds extracted varies with
                concentration, and 85% is a tad high from what I have read.

                Sven

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tropest" <tropest@y...> wrote:
                > Hi Lindsay
                >
                > All went OK. The molasses fumes gave the family some grief, but the
                > Boss won't complain once she gets a taste, and clean-up was easier
                > than I thought.
                >
                > I've ended up with 7.5litres of 85%. I'll soak it on toasted oak
                > chips, 15g per litre, then enjoy
                >
                > Kind regards
                > Steve
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x> wrote:
                > > The temp is what you would expect. The vapour has more water hence
                > the
                > > elevated temp. I wouldn't re-distill it as you would lose some
                > flavour.
                > >
                > > What do you intend doing with it from here? (Apart from drinking
                > it!).
                > > Are you going to add spices or soak on oak or ???
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > > Lindsay.

              • tropest
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 28, 2005
                  Hi Jaeger

                  Thanks for all the feedback from fellow distillers.

                  I'll be letting this site know how the drop turns out in 4weeks.
                  I'll also put a 2litre bottle on wood aside for 1 year.

                  I ferment in 60litre screw top fermenters, actual volume must be
                  65litres. I use a blow off tube to take the krausen outside, this
                  stuff can really stick like poop to a blanket.

                  You can distil 60litres in a "50litre" keg, I guess because there is
                  a 10litre head space built into the (beer) kegs. My sugar washes
                  have never foamed before like this molasses/sugar wash did. So
                  distilling in my "50litre" goes off without a problem using just
                  sugar.

                  It's been a great learning curve for me, changing from what I was
                  used to. I cut a bottle for a friend tonight, spilt some on my
                  fingers, and all I can smell is RUM (why do I keep smelling my
                  fingers?)

                  Kind regards to all
                  Steve