Supermarket moonshine with EC-1118

  • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2005
      A friend of mine left me an unfinished 500 g pack of Lalvin EC-1118 yeast.

      What I did was I tried to beef-up my supermarket moonshine recipe.
      EC-1118 is supposeD to work itself in the upper teens a.b.v. So, here is the recipe I did and it actually moved the plastic sheet lid on the bucket!

      Yesterday I poured 5 LB white sugar in the bottom of a dry 18 Liter plastic bucket which I picked up from my neighbor’s apartment renovation project.

      Then I squeezed two lemons onto the sugar pile. Then I dumped there half a cup of molasses and half a cup of old spaghetti sauce.

      After that I placed the bucket under bathroom faucet and poured some cold water while steering the mix. I poured about 14~15 Liters of water to get gravity reading 1.07

      I covered it with lose plastic sheet from a shopping bag. Next day the sheet was on the floor and I actually saw a process similar to simmering of water in a pot! It was that vigorous! The gravity went down to 1.05

      I added some water to about 16 liter and waiting what would happen next. It still bubbles like crazy and smells rum. Too bad I will distill it to a white neutral spirit.

      I will append another message to this thread after a few more days of brewing

      Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
      http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

    • bokakob
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 4:48 AM
        This is the follow up to my earlier post
        "Supermarket Moonshine with EC-1118."
        The fermentation went well even though I wish it took less than three
        weeks.

        For those lazy enough to skip the original post here is the
        compressed version:
        1.Dumped 5LB (2.27 kg) of sugar in 18 liter plastic bucket – dry.
        2.Squeezed two lemons on top – sugar is dry at the bottom.
        3.Dropped half cup of unsulphured molasses there – sugar is still dry.
        4.Toppled with cold tap water to 14 liters and mixed well.
        5.Sprinkled 20 gm of dry EC-1118 on top.
        6.Stirred and left alone at temperatures in between 75*F~85*F

        Here is what I did after the initial procedure.

        After three days I added a bit more sugar to the initial 5 lbs
        (2.27 kg) and added a bit more water making the total amount of 3.4kg
        in 15 L of wash (sugar dissolved). This translates roughly to 13.5%
        a.b.v. I was not able to get 18%. Perhaps more nutrients, more sugar
        and time would do the trick. To me those extra 4% are not worth
        struggling for.

        The ferment is dry with all sugar converted. S.G. is 0.99
        It is a clear and dark colored liquid without suspended particles.
        It is semi-translucent. It smells pleasantly fruity with hint of
        molasses. The taste is rather palatable.

        Conclusion:
        =================================
        EC-1118 works well in this setup.
        Sequential addition of sugar in several batches to the total required
        amount will ensure evenly paced fermentation with less strain on the
        yeast.
      • toddk63
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1 6:33 AM
          The one time a did an all white sugar wash (18%), too much acidity was
          the problem. I had to add a lot of potassium bicarbonate to keep the
          pH between 3 and 4 as per the Cone Protocol. You might try skipping
          the lemons next time. My subsequent washes all included at least 20%
          molasses and the pH was buffered perfectly throughout the fermentation.

          Todd K.