Re: Boiler Head Space

  • rocky_creek1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
      I have used 13 1/2 with a sugar wash, going slow I expect it could go
      a little higher. Don't know with rum.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nay <dave.nay@v...> wrote:
      > Just how much head space is required inside the boiler? I have
      recently
      > acquired a couple of 15 gal (57 L) carboys to use as fermentation
      tanks,
      > but my boiler is also 15 gal (57 L).
      >
      > How much head space do I need to leave for plain sugar washes? How
      much
      > head space do I need to leave for a rum wash of 50/50 molasses and
      sugar?

      > My inclination is to only use about 75% of the fermenter volume so I
      get
      > about 12 gallons (45.5 L).
      >
      > Dave
    • popwahtosh
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocky_creek1" <rocky_creek@d...>
        wrote:
        > I have used 13 1/2 with a sugar wash, going slow I expect it could
        go
        > a little higher. Don't know with rum.
        =========================
        13 1/2 what?
        =============

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nay <dave.nay@v...> wrote:
        > > Just how much head space is required inside the boiler? I have
        > recently
        > > acquired a couple of 15 gal (57 L) carboys to use as fermentation
        > tanks,
        > > but my boiler is also 15 gal (57 L).
        > >
        > > How much head space do I need to leave for plain sugar washes?
        How
        > much
        > > head space do I need to leave for a rum wash of 50/50 molasses and
        > sugar?
        > >
        > > My inclination is to only use about 75% of the fermenter volume
        so I
        > get
        > > about 12 gallons (45.5 L).
        > >
        > > Dave
      • rocky_creek1
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
          U.S. Gallons.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...> wrote:
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocky_creek1" <rocky_creek@d...>
          > wrote:
          > > I have used 13 1/2 with a sugar wash, going slow I expect it could
          > go
          > > a little higher. Don't know with rum.
          > =========================
          > 13 1/2 what?
          > =============
          > >

          > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nay <dave.nay@v...> wrote:
          > > > Just how much head space is required inside the boiler? I have
          > > recently
          > > > acquired a couple of 15 gal (57 L) carboys to use as fermentation
          > > tanks,
          > > > but my boiler is also 15 gal (57 L).
          > > >
          > > > How much head space do I need to leave for plain sugar washes?
          > How
          > > much
          > > > head space do I need to leave for a rum wash of 50/50 molasses and
          > > sugar?
          > > >
          > > > My inclination is to only use about 75% of the fermenter volume
          > so I
          > > get
          > > > about 12 gallons (45.5 L).
          > > >
          > > > Dave
        • KJH
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
            >> I have used 13 1/2 with a sugar wash, going slow I expect it could
            > go
            >> a little higher. Don't know with rum.
            > 13 1/2 what?
            Hey Pop, If your using 50/50 have you gotta scale for the amount of suger ?
            for say 25ltr fermenters.

            Ken.