Re: [Distillers] Re: SS wall heat conduction math

  • Andrew Forsberg
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
      On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 22:52 +0000, dearknarl wrote:
      > Hate to bring bad news, but I'm guessing the conduction of heat
      > through the steel will not be your limiting factor, and your 120kW
      > sounds about right.
      >
      > It will more likely be the convection of the water bath and the wash
      > inside the boiler, more so the water bath once it is boiling, that
      > will limit heat transfer.
      >
      > Agitation of both will provide better heat transfer. Trying to
      > calculate heat transfer for such a system would be a nightmare.
      >
      > I'd say your best bet is an experiment, unless you're a hardcore nerd
      > that wants to create a computer model, or a hardcore physicist/maths
      > guru who has way too much spare time =). Let us know how you get on.
      >
      > knarl.

      Hey Knarl,

      Bad news is still news, and it's far better to be brought it in the form
      of advance notice than to jump in first, only to swear and curse later.

      The other problem with the jacket proposal was the thought that it will
      need to be a stainless steel jacket that's welded to the stainless steel
      tank. Through tubes might improve the situation, as might encroaching
      further under the tank... But, tbh, the last thing I want after all that
      is to need to build an automated stirring paddle mechanism.

      On a brighter note: the L-bend at the bottom of the tank, before the
      gate valve, has a couple of small 3/4"-ish OD screw fittings with caps.
      They look decidedly like they were designed for a steam mixer... :->
      Hmmmmmmmm.

      Cheers & thanks,
      Andrew