Re: condenser

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kiss my ass" <kiss_my_ass@c...>
      wrote:
      > Riku
      >
      > Your are right ..... I will try it and see..... all the theory in
      the world
      > won't replace actual hard testing..... of course theory will get
      you in the
      > ball park....
      >
      > if it doesn't work.... well I'll switch to the 1 in pipe.....
      >
      > Kim

      It's an interesting concept, Kim. Let us know the results. As to
      working out the size, just calculate the hot/cold transfer area.
      IOW the outer surface area of the inside water pipe.

      The crossflow has 19 pipes @ 140mm x 6.5mm Ø which is (in cm)...

      Diameter x Pi x length x num.pipes
      .65 x 3.14159 x 14 x 19 --> 543 sq.cm

      This easily handles 1800w under test, and I'm sure it could do more
      if the need arises. It's just a matter of increasing the coolant
      flow. So to get something in that known range using a single
      central pipe, just work backwards with the equation and plug in
      figures...

      543 = Diam x Pi x Length
      543 = 3.8 x 3.14159 x ?
      543 / (3.8 x 3.14159) --> 45.5 cm length @ 3.8 cm diameter
      or 18" x 1.5" pipe
      For 1.25" pipe it's...
      543 / (3.2 x 3.14159) --> 54 cm length @ 3.2 cm diameter
      or 21.25" x 1.25" pipe

      You will also get a very small amount of cooling from the shell side
      to atmosphere transfer, but in condensers this small it's not worth
      calculating.

    • foutzdj
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 14, 2005
        Hi, I was just looking at some of the photos of stills in the photos
        section and I noticed a lot of people had caps on the top of the
        condenser casing. I am preparing my design and I had thought that that
        part was supposed to be open to the atmosphere. Can anyone clear this
        up for me?
      • Mike Nixon
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 14, 2005
          foutzdj wrote:
          Subject: [Distillers] condenser

          Hi, I was just looking at some of the photos of stills in the photos
          section and I noticed a lot of people had caps on the top of the
          condenser casing. I am preparing my design and I had thought that that
          part was supposed to be open to the atmosphere. Can anyone clear this
          up for me?
          ===============
          Yup. They should all have small vent holes in those caps, but that is not
          always obvious from pics taken from the side. A cap like that is useful for
          supporting the top condenser.

          All the best,
          Mike N
        • Lindsay Williams
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 15, 2005
            Your supposition is correct but I am sure you will find that they just
            sit loosely and/or have holes in the top. They are not necessary - an
            open top is fine. Mine is open but I have stuffed a SS scrubber down
            into the top of my coil.

            Cheers,
            Lindsay.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:
            > Hi, I was just looking at some of the photos of stills in the photos
            > section and I noticed a lot of people had caps on the top of the
            > condenser casing. I am preparing my design and I had thought that that
            > part was supposed to be open to the atmosphere. Can anyone clear this
            > up for me?
          • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 22, 2005
              There is ALWAYS an opening in the cups or at the coil tubing entrance points. The opening should not be less than 1/4'' diameter. With a properly sized condenser coil there is no need for anything with the coil perfectly open to the atmosphere.

            • Robert Thomas
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 22, 2005
                Alex,
                why 1/4" minimum? Not that it's relevant to me, but
                reasons give understanding. I should have thought any
                air gap was enough.
                cheers,
                Rob.

                --- "Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)"
                <bokakob@...> wrote:

                > There is ALWAYS an opening in the cups or at the
                > coil tubing entrance points. The opening should not
                > be less than 1/4'' diameter. With a properly sized
                > condenser coil there is no need for anything with
                > the coil perfectly open to the atmosphere.

                > removed]

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • bokakob
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 22, 2005
                  I use 1/4" drill bit for all tubing in my still columns. This is a
                  logical extension to use the same drill bit avoiding any changes and
                  cut time on labor. In theory you are correct, even a slight gap is
                  enough.

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...>