Re: Crossflow Plans for personal use

  • Cary Rhodes
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1, 2005
      I know the Q was to Harry, but I will interject a little here.

      Just because I have built one of Harry devices and use it regularly.

      I guess I, like ya'll, am accumulating a shelf full of items that I no
      longer use. That condensor over there is the previous model. "Does it
      work"? Yep, it works but this one works better.

      The crossflow is a good item. small, compact, efficient, low cooling
      water usage.

      Stevo, the insert that slides up inside the "T" needs to be sqeezed
      down to create a 'neck'. the condensate actually flows around the
      necked insert to reach the outlet port.

      to limit takeoff just throttle the outlet valve. the product will
      accumulate and overflow the 'dam' back into the column.

      I did have some difficulty stopping the leaks around the diaphram that
      separates the cooling water from the vapor chamber. I actually brazed
      the copper tubes to the diaphram plate.

      silver soldered the plate to the housing and soft soldered the caps
      onto the tee.

      this keeps from melting your previous work.

      cary r

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Harry
      > Great job
      > Just a couple of questions.
      > How dose the liquid cross the dam wall to the other side, would it not
      > build up on the other side. And possibly fall back down the column?
      > Would a large amount of condensate fall back down the column from the
      > tubes above the column?
      >
      > I will have a go at building a Howard F Jackson crossflow condenser
      > head when I get time.
      >
      > Thanks Harry fantastic setup.
      >
      > Stevo
    • Dean Thomas
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1, 2005
        Hi Harry, Riku, etc.

        Refrigeration heat transfer coils (condenser and evaporator) use Rifle
        bore tubing the idea is that as the refrigerant passes through the
        rifle boring inside the tube not only is turbulence created but in the
        case of liquid/vapour phase change the liquid is thrown to the outside
        (against the walls) giving better heat transfer.

        Although our (Distillers) rate of flow isn't as fast as that inside a
        refrigerant system maybe this type of tubing would be of benefit when
        designing your next condenser.

        Dean.

        >Your theory is broadly correct. However, the details are a lot more
        >intricate. You need to consider laminar flow (among other things),
        >meaning that the fluid (liquid and gas) flow nearest the transfer
        >wall moves slower than the fluid in the centre of the vapour or
        >liquid medium, due to friction. Therefore the transfer of heat
        >becomes other than linear. There are equations for working this
        >out, but once again, you need to consult a chemical engineer to get
        >the figures. I have the equations, but it's outside my field of
        >expertise. Perhaps Mike Nixon or Tony Ackland can help.
        >
        >Aside from that, the condenser would need to have turbulence
        >introduced into the vapour, via baffles, as this increases the
        >contact and changes the angle of attack between the vapour, the heat
        >transfer medium (the tube walls) and the coolant.
        >
        >One thing in the favour of the hobbyist is that the designs we build
        >are extremely small in the broad scheme of things, therefore if we
        >make a small error in calculations, it's not critical (usually). A
        >small increase in coolant flow will usually overcome most design
        >errors.
        >
        >Slainte!
        >regards Harry

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • markapp
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 2, 2005
          Just wondering does some reflux drip all over or does it tend to run
          the coolant tubes to the header plates and run dowwn to the pool, never
          realy dripping. Reasoning is, does some reflux always occur, as drips
          that hit the hole or is reflux only in a dam overflow condition. Also
          kind of wondering about the theories regarding prefered placement of
          reflux to be center of column rather than perimeter. I may be missing
          something as the dam sleeve may be intended to direct the reflux off
          the walls Could a t and second valve piped to a center drip be a
          possible refinement? Hope it is ok to ask as i know the theory and
          explaination was intentionaly avoided to some extent in favor of
          simplicity and clarity in the instruction. thanks
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 2, 2005
            I have experimented a VM system with centered and non centered reflux.
            The setup was:

            Reflux coil directly above the packing, straight column so some reflux
            will go down the column walls

            The same as above but this time I made a collar inbetween the coil and
            the packing to guide all reflux into middle of packing

            The result was 30% less heads with latter setup. This means that the
            separation was increased when reflux was guided into middle of the
            packing.

            - Riku

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 2, 2005
              Hi Mark,
              I'll try to tackle this a step at a time...

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "markapp" <markapp@y...> wrote:
              > Just wondering does some reflux drip all over or does it tend to run
              > the coolant tubes to the header plates and run dowwn to the pool,
              never
              > realy dripping.

              ............Theory says there should always be a certain amount of
              reflux from dripping over the centre 45mm column top (the dam wall).
              Practice shows that the drops of condensate tend to go along the tubes
              to either end and fall into the sump. This is helped along by the
              rising vapour, which is actually drawn into the condenser by the small
              vacuum condition set up by the collapse of vapour to liquid (yes I
              know it's open to atmosphere via the vent, but you still get partial
              vacuum).
              If you had the skill, money and time to make the condenser entirely
              out of glass, you'd see what I'm talking about.

              Reasoning is, does some reflux always occur, as drips
              > that hit the hole or is reflux only in a dam overflow condition.

              .............Because of the scenario above, very little reflux is via
              dripping. It's safe to assume all reflux is via dam wall overflow.

              Also
              > kind of wondering about the theories regarding prefered placement of
              > reflux to be center of column rather than perimeter. I may be
              missing
              > something as the dam sleeve may be intended to direct the reflux off
              > the walls

              ............Yes it does, but you still get minor tracking down the
              wall of the column. This is not relevant in an insulated column, as
              the temperature across an insulated column is the same at a give
              height. Therefore it doesn't matter if the descending liquid is in
              the centre or at the side. The temperature at that level is the same
              for centre and edge, and the descending liquid will still reboil and
              give up vapour as it reaches the correct temperature level. The
              vapour thus given off will expand to occupy some 45 times the volume
              of the parent liquid, thereby forcing itself back into the packing
              thoroughly.

              In an uninsulated column, all bets are off.

              Could a t and second valve piped to a center drip be a possible
              refinement?

              ....................It could. So could doing away altogether with the
              sump takeoff point and installing standard dual angled plates in the
              column to capture all condensate. This could then be split into
              reflux and product with a single valve. Alex has used this setup in
              some of his columns.

              > Hope it is ok to ask as i know the theory and
              > explaination was intentionaly avoided to some extent in favor of
              > simplicity and clarity in the instruction. thanks

              If you don't ask questions, you'll never know. :-))

            • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 2, 2005
                There will be no dripping in any condenser if it is at an angle. Distillate will happily slide down along the cooling tubes toward the pool.

                Dripping will occur only on condition when surface tension is less than the gravity pull. In other words -- if you have almost any angle (15* and up) then all your distillate will cling to the cooling tubes.

                To prevent it some drip points should be regularly made along the cooling tubes. Otherwise you need horizontal arrangement of the cooling tubes.

                That is what I think! ;-)

                markapp <markapp@...> wrote:
                Just wondering does some reflux drip all over or does it tend to run
                the coolant tubes to the header plates and run dowwn to the pool, never
                realy dripping. Reasoning is, does some reflux always occur, as drips
                that hit the hole or is reflux only in a dam overflow condition. Also
                kind of wondering about the theories regarding prefered placement of
                reflux to be center of column rather than perimeter. I may be missing
                something as the dam sleeve may be intended to direct the reflux off
                the walls Could a t and second valve piped to a center drip be a
                possible refinement? Hope it is ok to ask as i know the theory and
                explaination was intentionaly avoided to some extent in favor of
                simplicity and clarity in the instruction. thanks

                Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 2, 2005
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex _{*L*}_ \(a.k.a. BOKAKOB\)"
                  <bokakob@y...> wrote:
                  > There will be no dripping in any condenser if it is at an angle.
                  Distillate will happily slide down along the cooling tubes toward
                  the pool.

                  .........True, but this condenser is level.

                  > Dripping will occur only on condition when surface tension is less
                  than the gravity pull. In other words -- if you have almost any
                  angle (15* and up) then all your distillate will cling to the
                  cooling tubes.

                  ..............Partially true. Moreso for the first part of your
                  statement. Liquid tends to cling to the surface where it condensed,
                  or first landed. Think about raindrops on an old-fashioned clothes
                  line wire. But don't forget about the pressure of rising vapour.

                  > To prevent it some drip points should be regularly made along the
                  cooling tubes. Otherwise you need horizontal arrangement of the
                  cooling tubes.

                  ............Why would you want to prevent it? It's practical for
                  the condensate to work its way over the sump area. Don't forget it
                  is helped along by the pressure of rising vapour. If you slowed the
                  coolant feed to a trickle, then rising vapour would cause pressure
                  shear in the direction of the condenser endplates. We need to
                  strike a happy balance between coolant speed and condensate movement.

                  > That is what I think! ;-)

                  .............Good points, Alex. Practical thought is what makes
                  this hobby so fascinating, from many angles.

                • Lindsay Williams
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Interesting to see some empirical evidence. I might have another go at
                    my 'washer' to make doubly sure it drips into the centre (a glass
                    column would be good!). Thanks for the work and sharing it with us.

                    Cheers,
                    Lindsay.

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > I have experimented a VM system with centered and non centered reflux.
                    > The setup was:
                    >
                    > Reflux coil directly above the packing, straight column so some reflux
                    > will go down the column walls
                    >
                    > The same as above but this time I made a collar inbetween the coil and
                    > the packing to guide all reflux into middle of packing
                    >
                    > The result was 30% less heads with latter setup. This means that the
                    > separation was increased when reflux was guided into middle of the
                    > packing.
                    >
                    > - Riku
                    >
                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "markapp" <markapp@y...> wrote:
                    > > Just wondering does some reflux drip all over or does it tend to run
                    > > the coolant tubes to the header plates and run dowwn to the pool,
                    > never
                    > > realy dripping. Reasoning is, does some reflux always occur, as drips
                    > > that hit the hole or is reflux only in a dam overflow condition. Also
                    > > kind of wondering about the theories regarding prefered placement of
                    > > reflux to be center of column rather than perimeter. I may be missing
                    > > something as the dam sleeve may be intended to direct the reflux off
                    > > the walls Could a t and second valve piped to a center drip be a
                    > > possible refinement? Hope it is ok to ask as i know the theory and
                    > > explaination was intentionaly avoided to some extent in favor of
                    > > simplicity and clarity in the instruction. thanks
                  • stevolate
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 6, 2005
                      Hi Harry and others.
                      If your cross flow condenser was made out of Stainless steel,
                      dose anyone know how big it would need to be.
                      Do you think it would work with the poor thermal properties?

                      Happy drinking

                      Stevo
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 6, 2005
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@y...> wrote:
                        > Hi Harry and others.
                        > If your cross flow condenser was made out of Stainless steel,
                        > dose anyone know how big it would need to be.
                        > Do you think it would work with the poor thermal properties?
                        >
                        > Happy drinking
                        >

                        > Stevo

                        I haven't used stainless, but there's no reason why it can't be used
                        for the shell. However the tubes are a different matter. They are
                        the transfer medium between the hot vapours and the coolant. They
                        need to be made of metal with good thermal conductivity
                        characteristics.

                        There's only one metal that's got a better transfer rate than copper
                        and that's silver.
                        ..................Thermal Conductivity
                        ..................BTU / (hr - ft - °F)

                        Silver.............. 247.87
                        Copper.............. 231
                        Gold................ 183
                        Aluminum............ 136
                        Brass................ 69.33
                        Mild Steel........... 26
                        Lead................. 20.39
                        Stainless (304)....... 8.09

                        Which explains why those little stainless condensers on some
                        commercial hobby stills are so pitifully inadequate, or require so
                        much coolant to function.

                      • don1lia2joe3
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 6, 2005
                          Silver, what an idea, I used to do silver and goldsmithing and my
                          wife says that I don't spend enough money on my hobbies anymore, at
                          least I think that is what I wanted to hear her say, but if she
                          didn't at least I can pleade dejivu.

                          Her favorite saying is: "The only difference between men and boys is
                          the price of their toys."

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > > Hi Harry and others.
                          > > If your cross flow condenser was made out of Stainless
                          steel,
                          > > dose anyone know how big it would need to be.
                          > > Do you think it would work with the poor thermal properties?
                          > >
                          > > Happy drinking
                          > >

                          > > Stevo
                          >

                          > I haven't used stainless, but there's no reason why it can't be
                          used
                          > for the shell. However the tubes are a different matter. They
                          are
                          > the transfer medium between the hot vapours and the coolant. They
                          > need to be made of metal with good thermal conductivity
                          > characteristics.
                          >
                          > There's only one metal that's got a better transfer rate than
                          copper
                          > and that's silver.
                          > ..................Thermal Conductivity
                          > ..................BTU / (hr - ft - °F)
                          >
                          > Silver.............. 247.87
                          > Copper.............. 231
                          > Gold................ 183
                          > Aluminum............ 136
                          > Brass................ 69.33
                          > Mild Steel........... 26
                          > Lead................. 20.39
                          > Stainless (304)....... 8.09
                          >

                          > Which explains why those little stainless condensers on some
                          > commercial hobby stills are so pitifully inadequate, or require so
                          > much coolant to function.
                          >

                          > Slainte!
                          > regards Harry
                        • Derek Hamlet
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 13, 2005
                            Harry,
                            When I built my x flow I used brass pipe because that was all that was
                            available in hard drawn 1/4" tubing. It works just fine. However, in
                            looking at the thermal properties comparison I can see that I would have
                            been much better off with copper.
                            I have yet to track down a source of the "hard" 1/4" copper pipe. Is that
                            available to you southern hemisphere types or did you use "soft" copper and
                            contrive a way to get them perfectly straight?
                            At 05:50 PM 6/6/05, you wrote:
                            >gnikomson2000@...

                            Derek Hamlet
                            Victoria, B.C.
                          • Andrew Forsberg
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 13, 2005
                              On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 16:35 -0700, Derek Hamlet wrote:

                              > I have yet to track down a source of the "hard" 1/4" copper pipe. Is that
                              > available to you southern hemisphere types or did you use "soft" copper and
                              > contrive a way to get them perfectly straight?

                              Hi Derek,

                              Why does it have to be perfectly straight? As long as the ends of the
                              pipe fit into the corresponding holds in the caps then that should do
                              the job just fine. Put a different way -- the more bends in the pipe the
                              more surface area there is for heat exchange.

                              When I made my shotgun condenser (inside-out, rotated, crossflow) about
                              a year or so back I remember having a bit of trouble getting the soft
                              drawn lengths of pipe to fit through all the correct holes. A bit of
                              perseverance, lot of swearing, and extra filing of the holes in the
                              closing plate, and it all came together nicely.

                              Cheers
                              Andrew
                            • Derek Hamlet
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 13, 2005
                                Andrew,
                                Yes, I may go that way on the condenser for my wife's aromatics still (she
                                is into eau de vie), but, if I could find hard 1/4" copper it would reduce
                                my frustration level methinks.
                                At 05:17 PM 6/13/05, you wrote:
                                >On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 16:35 -0700, Derek Hamlet wrote:
                                >
                                > > I have yet to track down a source of the "hard" 1/4" copper pipe. Is that
                                > > available to you southern hemisphere types or did you use "soft" copper
                                > and
                                > > contrive a way to get them perfectly straight?
                                >
                                >Hi Derek,
                                >
                                >Why does it have to be perfectly straight? As long as the ends of the
                                >pipe fit into the corresponding holds in the caps then that should do
                                >the job just fine. Put a different way -- the more bends in the pipe the
                                >more surface area there is for heat exchange.
                                >
                                >When I made my shotgun condenser (inside-out, rotated, crossflow) about
                                >a year or so back I remember having a bit of trouble getting the soft
                                >drawn lengths of pipe to fit through all the correct holes. A bit of
                                >perseverance, lot of swearing, and extra filing of the holes in the
                                >closing plate, and it all came together nicely.
                                >
                                >Cheers
                                >Andrew

                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                Derek Hamlet
                                Victoria, B.C.
                              • l0a4n5g3e
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 13, 2005
                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > Andrew,
                                  > Yes, I may go that way on the condenser for my wife's aromatics
                                  still (she
                                  > is into eau de vie), but, if I could find hard 1/4" copper it
                                  would reduce
                                  > my frustration level methinks.
                                  > Derek Hamlet
                                  > Victoria, B.C.

                                  Hi Derek,

                                  Me again.

                                  My experience is, to roll the soft 1/4 " pipe segments between
                                  flat wood boards, which you put under pressure, i.e. place one board
                                  on the floor, place one piece of pipe on the board and with your
                                  foot on the covering board roll the pipe to and fro.
                                  And see it will straighten.

                                  As an electrician I had to straighten 6 and 10 mM square copper wire
                                  for installation inside cabinets, it was there that I practised it.
                                  Later as captain of the technical committee of our scuba diving club
                                  I was responsible for the installation of the high pressure piping
                                  for the filling of our dive tanks. We used a lot of softdrawn copper
                                  pipe and straightening was no problem at all! Especially as most of
                                  the piping was in clear view of all who needed a refill.

                                  It really works! I managed to straighten lengths of up to 1 meter
                                  (just over 3 feet)

                                  Good luck again,

                                  LangeA3
                                  Holland.
                                • Derek Hamlet
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 13, 2005
                                    I"ll try it on my next version of Harry's condenser.
                                    At 07:43 PM 6/13/05, you wrote:
                                    >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...>
                                    >wrote:
                                    > > Andrew,
                                    > > Yes, I may go that way on the condenser for my wife's aromatics
                                    >still (she
                                    > > is into eau de vie), but, if I could find hard 1/4" copper it
                                    >would reduce
                                    > > my frustration level methinks.
                                    > > Derek Hamlet
                                    > > Victoria, B.C.
                                    >

                                    >Hi Derek,
                                    >
                                    >Me again.
                                    >
                                    >My experience is, to roll the soft 1/4 " pipe segments between
                                    >flat wood boards, which you put under pressure, i.e. place one board
                                    >on the floor, place one piece of pipe on the board and with your
                                    >foot on the covering board roll the pipe to and fro.
                                    >And see it will straighten.
                                    >
                                    >As an electrician I had to straighten 6 and 10 mM square copper wire
                                    >for installation inside cabinets, it was there that I practised it.
                                    >Later as captain of the technical committee of our scuba diving club
                                    >I was responsible for the installation of the high pressure piping
                                    >for the filling of our dive tanks. We used a lot of softdrawn copper
                                    >pipe and straightening was no problem at all! Especially as most of
                                    >the piping was in clear view of all who needed a refill.
                                    >
                                    >It really works! I managed to straighten lengths of up to 1 meter
                                    >(just over 3 feet)
                                    >
                                    >Good luck again,
                                    >
                                    >LangeA3
                                    >Holland.

                                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    Derek Hamlet
                                    Victoria, B.C.
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 13, 2005
                                      wrote:
                                      > Harry,
                                      > When I built my x flow I used brass pipe because that was all that
                                      was
                                      > available in hard drawn 1/4" tubing. It works just fine.
                                      However, in
                                      > looking at the thermal properties comparison I can see that I
                                      would have
                                      > been much better off with copper.
                                      > I have yet to track down a source of the "hard" 1/4" copper pipe.
                                      Is that
                                      > available to you southern hemisphere types or did you use "soft"
                                      copper and
                                      > contrive a way to get them perfectly straight?
                                      > At 05:50 PM 6/6/05, you wrote:
                                      > >gnikomson2000@y...
                                      >
                                      > Derek Hamlet
                                      > Victoria, B.C.

                                      Soft copper, a wooden mallet, a flat hardwood block as an anvil, and
                                      a little patience. Gently straighten enough length off the coil for
                                      about 2 pipes. Measure, cut with a small cheap pipecutter. Repeat
                                      until done.

                                    • Derek Hamlet
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 14, 2005
                                        Okay, that is what I'll do.
                                        I did find a web reference to a company (Cerrus) who make hard drawn 1/4"
                                        copper pipe, but, can find no supplier in Canada or more importantly locally.
                                        So, soft copper it will be.
                                        I love my Crossflow condenser. It works so well.
                                        Kudos to Harry for sharing his plan.
                                        At 10:57 PM 6/13/05, you wrote:
                                        >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...>
                                        >wrote:
                                        > > Harry,
                                        > > When I built my x flow I used brass pipe because that was all that
                                        >was
                                        > > available in hard drawn 1/4" tubing. It works just fine.
                                        >However, in
                                        > > looking at the thermal properties comparison I can see that I
                                        >would have
                                        > > been much better off with copper.
                                        > > I have yet to track down a source of the "hard" 1/4" copper pipe.
                                        >Is that
                                        > > available to you southern hemisphere types or did you use "soft"
                                        >copper and
                                        > > contrive a way to get them perfectly straight?
                                        > > At 05:50 PM 6/6/05, you wrote:
                                        > > >gnikomson2000@y...
                                        > >
                                        > > Derek Hamlet
                                        > > Victoria, B.C.
                                        >

                                        >Soft copper, a wooden mallet, a flat hardwood block as an anvil, and
                                        >a little patience. Gently straighten enough length off the coil for
                                        >about 2 pipes. Measure, cut with a small cheap pipecutter. Repeat
                                        >until done.
                                        >

                                        >Slainte!
                                        >regards Harry

                                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        Derek Hamlet
                                        Victoria, B.C.
                                      • oliminun
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 27, 2005
                                          Hej Riku, minun kaveri joka on nyt täälä tahtoo jutella sinun kanssasi
                                          kun se tulee takaisin ruotsiin. Hänen osoite on
                                          hattaratour2005@...
                                          Terveisin Merenkulkija reima@...