Re: [Distillers] Re: Automation and ARC

  • Andrew Forsberg
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2005
      There are thermostats that come with straps to fit them snugly to pipes.
      The models I've seen aren't that accurate. Typically +-2degC. Still, low
      enough down the column they'd do the trick. One of those would easily
      trigger a solenoid on its own without the need for a relay. I remember
      finding one model in particular on NZ's RS electronics site. It wasn't
      overly expensive -- in the $30 region. I'm afraid I got sidetracked by
      house renovations before I could give it a go.

      My plan is to either write a java app to control one or more DS 18b20s
      from a blackberry via the onewire interface, or to preconfigure the
      thermostat variants of the 18b20 and let them control the whole
      distilling operation automagically. Ideally it'd be great to have both.
      i.e., to be able to 'dock' with one's still, check operations, fine tune
      settings, then remove the computer from the equation and leave the
      components to carry on with the new instructions.

      Anyhow -- I'm sure a good sparky could come up with a diagram for your
      steak thermometer + relay + solenoid idea! Sounds cheap, easy, and
      probably extremely reliable.

      Cheers
      Andrew