Two Quickie Questions on Rum Distillation

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005
      I have re-designed my condenser and am ready to distill with a modified
      version of Harry's X flow.
      My distilling experience to date has been with sugar washes and the column
      packed with stainless steel scrubbers. However, I have 75 litres of rum
      wash to run and want to run the column unpacked. Various threads on using
      the still as a pot still suggest that a first stripping run can be run at
      full power. I'm a bit confused by what this means. I have a 3000 watt and
      a 1500 watt heating elements. I use both to heat up and then the 1500 watt
      with a variac when in reflux mode. Can I use both elements for a stripping
      run and just let it rip. BTW I then plan a second run of the results of
      the stripping run to do precise cuts. That one I have no particular
      questions about.
      SECOND QUESTION: I am building an activated carbon filter (funnel and pipe
      thing). The funnel will connect to the pipe using a sink trap. What do
      folks use to seal between the sink trap and the funnel. I obviously want
      to use something that is non reactive with alcohol and there's something
      about plumbers putty that just doesn't seem right.
      Thanks
      Derek
      "sitting in Victoria and contemplating sipping his first batch of dark rum"