Re: [Distillers] Re: Quality of sugar based Vodka

  • Zandile Mhlongo
    Message 1 of 9 , May 28, 2005
      Dear Bokakob

      Thanks for your detailed reply, advice and encouragement. I will let you know how I get on.

      Zandile

      bokakob <bokakob@...> wrote:
      Yes, it is very possible to achieve superior results producing
      "hobby vodka" compared to that of famous brands. It is so clear and
      pure that it tastes "unreal clean." It is relatively easy to
      obtain pure ethanol extract from the mash. There are many refluxed
      still "designs" available for your liking. Here is one for
      your reference - http://tinyurl.com/aslaj
      I have built several incarnations of various architectures, some are
      easier to build and some are just more aesthetic to look at. All of
      them are equal and are working the same. All of them distill, or
      extract, alcohol from the mash. It is another story to "condition"
      or "age" the raw spirit. Here you need the talent as in any art. It
      can be just a teaspoon full of sugar with a tablespoon of glycerin.
      It can be carbon filtering and oak aging. The possibilities are
      endless and your imagination is the only limit.
      I am advocating pure spirit because if you conquer this trade then
      you can add a variety of flavors and tincture to the pure spirit and
      achieve almost any flavor you wish. Many commercial distilleries are
      already doing it without widely publicizing the trickĀ…
      ---***---
      Dealing with heads and tails in a continuous distillation is a
      different story. In a few words you collect them at a different level
      in a very high column. It is not a subject for this message.