Copper Periscope (was "Thanks Harry")

  • whynda
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2005
      OK, Basically it is an 18 gallon beer keg as a boiler standing upright
      fired by a 3 ring concentric gas burner. On top of the keg is the now
      standard inverted salad bowl onto which is mounted a one metre tall by
      50mm copper pipe which is packed top to bottom with Amphora mesh (even
      above the reflux inlet) the pipe extends slightly into the condensor
      to prevent condensate running back down the pipe rather than going via
      the reflux pipe. Sitting on top of said pipe is a slightly modified
      version oh Harry's crossflow condensor, when I say slightly modified I
      do mean just that, as Harry has cobbled together a very good
      condensor. My mods are simply that I attached two sumps to the bottom
      of the cross arms, one on each side and one being a little bit more
      shallow than the other in order to promote flow from to the other
      where the takeoff pipe and reflux pipe are connected. the reflux pipe
      has a 90 degree turn ball valve, only closed when doing a stripping
      run as reflux is controlled by the takeoff valve. On top of the cross
      arms is a manifold that vents to atmosphere, this manifold leads from
      the extreme ends of the cross arms to the center where it is soldered
      together terminating in a plenum, I believe that this arrangement
      creates a balanced flow inside the condensor. As stated in my first
      post the condensor is on steroids, it is 600mm long and 80mm in
      diameter and has TWELVE metres of cooling tubes. This allows me to run
      the boiler a bit harder as the condensor can handle all I can throw at
      it, therefore there is more liquid to reflux and I believe as a
      resullt of this I get the higher collection rate at the high
      percentages. I will post pics when I clean it all nice'n shiny. thanks
      guys.