Re: FIRE (cont.)

    Message 1 of 13 , May 3 12:59 AM
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "slipslider2" <slipslider2@y...>
      wrote:
      > To follow up on my previous post, as you can imagine, all kinds of
      > flammable stuff spewed out of the columm, burning one of my
      fingers
      > and the tops of my bare feet. I backed away, the vapors flashed,
      the
      > still and my upper body is now on fire and I'm thinking "It smells
      > like hair...I'm on fire...don't go forward or you will knock over
      the
      > still and burn down the back yard, JUMP IN THE POOL!!!!

      In the 2 years I've been on this list, you are only the second
      person I've run across who's admitted to a potentially
      serious "event". 2 out of 2000+ members is still 2 too many. Guys,
      you gotta remember you are trying to boil a liquid that is as
      flammable as gasoline. Don't be frightened of it, but be aware of
      the consequences of poor judgement. Families without fathers, and
      insurance companies refusing to pay because of possible illegal
      activities, is NOT the way to win legislator's hearts! PLEASE TAKE
      PRECAUTIONS. THERE'S A STACK OF STUFF IN ARCHIVED POSTS RE SAFETY
      MEASURES.

      p.s.
      Pain is a great but brutal teacher. I sympathise with you and hope
      you're ok.

    • slipslider2
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3 1:59 AM
        Harry,
        I am fine ... fortunately ... and I was reluctant to "tell my story"
        especially to you and Mike and Roderick. I am humbled by the
        experience and did not expect to receive much respect from the group
        for appearing to be one of the "3 stooges".
        I have 7 years of college, FAA airframe and powerplant licenses and a
        BS in Industrial Maintenance Technology.
        I'm really not an idiot nor a nerd... yet I was still IGNORANT in my
        start up. I hope that sharing my experience with the group will help
        prevent injuries for other start-ups using distillers and new
        distillers as a reference to the hobby.

      • BFY51@prankster13.fsnet.co.uk
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3 2:38 AM
          That's opened my eyes. I am always fiddling, water up, water down, power up,
          power down... I take out the stopper cork for a quick look nearly every run.
          Thanks for letting on, well I won't be doing that again.
          No pool here to jump into, just some nosy neighbours to call the firemen's.
        • Mike Nixon
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3 3:43 AM
            slipslider2 wrote:
            Subject: [Distillers] Re: FIRE (cont.)

            Harry,
            I am fine ... fortunately ... and I was reluctant to "tell my story"
            especially to you and Mike and Roderick. I am humbled by the
            experience and did not expect to receive much respect from the group
            for appearing to be one of the "3 stooges".
            I have 7 years of college, FAA airframe and powerplant licenses and a
            BS in Industrial Maintenance Technology.
            I'm really not an idiot nor a nerd... yet I was still IGNORANT in my
            start up. I hope that sharing my experience with the group will help
            prevent injuries for other start-ups using distillers and new
            distillers as a reference to the hobby.
            ==================
            Proud to meet a man who can admit he got it wrong ... but learned! The
            usual nonsense is from those who are patently getting things wrong, but
            consider themselves "experts" and advise others to follow them over the
            cliff.

            With your background, we could spend a happy evening over a few jugs while I
            told you of the time I almost ripped the wing off a C-130 Hercules by
            keeping it sideways in a small Gander hangar during a fast rising storm. It
            was there I learned that the small tugs they had would NOT keep the
            nosewheel from tromping! No greater ignorance than a young engineering
            officer who thinks he knows everything! :-))

            All the best ... and many thanks for publishing that salutory warning!
            Mike N
          • toddk63
            Message 5 of 13 , May 3 8:27 AM
              What's this cork everyone is talking about. I thought that "Vent"
              hole on top was just that, a vent to atmosphere in case you overload
              the condenser. I also find that by sniffing the vapors coming out of
              that vent, I can tell exactly what phase the run is in (foreshots,
              heads, middle or tails).

              BTW, my first run I also overloaded the condenser and spewed
              distillate. Luckily it didn't catch fire on my propane flame. Now I
              know at what power level that is likely to happen and never leave the
              unit for more than a few seconds at a time.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, <BFY51@p...> wrote:
              > That's opened my eyes. I am always fiddling, water up, water down,
              power up,
              > power down... I take out the stopper cork for a quick look nearly
              every run.
              > Thanks for letting on, well I won't be doing that again.
              > No pool here to jump into, just some nosy neighbours to call the
              firemen's.
            • Brian Bashford
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3 10:29 AM
                This short video illustrates what happens when you light a bonfire with a
                gallon of petrol (or 95% alcohol if you prefer).

                http://www.big-boys.com/articles/bonfireblowup.html

                Brian B.

              • Roderick Holmes
                Message 7 of 13 , May 3 11:33 AM
                  Slip,
                  I am just glad that you are OK.

                  The first time I fired up my still, I forgot to turn on the cooling water. Had the wash spewing out of the column and had my whole house smelling like ethanol. My wife exclaimed, "I thought you said it would not smell !!! " My still was set up right across from the stove and oven in the house. Lucky nothing was cooking at the time.

                  We all learn by our mistakes. If we survive them, we get something very valuable called "experience" !

                  Regarding the correct amount of heat: In my opinion, the boiler should be bubbling a slow boil like when you simmer a pot of soup on the stove on a low flame. You can hear the boiler slowly bubbling but it is not a rapid or roaring boil like if the flame is on high. I use an electric element with a sutronics controller so I have it a bit easier than with propane.

                  I also check the temperature of my cooling water to see that it is not too hot coming out (increase water flow if needed). My total output is around 50ml per minute. I collect at 10ml per minute and my stuff comes out clean at 95% plus. I initially tried collecting at lower heat with total output of around 30 ml per minute and collecting at 5 ml per minute. Result was about the same. I have found that if the reflux rate is around 4 to 1 I am ok for making sugar wash vodka. It is up to you an your taste and what you are making.

                  Enjoy.....

                  Roderick

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 3 11:52 AM
                    Slip,
                    One other thing. Stabilizing at 168 F is too low. Harry may be right on about too many BTUs but just from what I have heard, if this was true, your distillate would not stop after collecting 8 oz or 16 oz. It would continue to come out.

                    Your temperature should stabilize at 172-173 F.

                    What my still does, it shoots up to around 178 F on full reflux (collection valve closed), then drops down to 173 F as soon as I start collecting. It then stays there for the next 3 to 4 hours with no other adjustments. If you are at 168 F and the distillation stops flowing, in my opinion, you have just the opposite problem, maybe not enough heat. If it was just the thermometer getting hit by the reflux, the temp reading may be off but reflux is normally constant if the heat is constant. The distillate should not stop.

                    I would suggest you do the following:
                    1. Open your collection valve all the way and see what your total collection rate is. This will be one indication of how much heat you are pumping in.
                    2. Check the temperature of your cooling water on the output. It should be luke warm.
                    3. Check the volume of your cooling water. Should be 500 to 1000 ml per minute on a valved reflux setup.

                    Things to read from the above:
                    -less than 30-60 ml per minute total distillate (with no reflux, collection valve wide open) probably not enough heat
                    -at 500-1000 ml per minute cooling water: if the water is hot, too much heat.

                    You get the idea. Try to get your still to reach equilibrium. Constant temperature, constant output on collection, constant flow of your cooling water, constant temperature of your cooling water output. Once everything is adjusted right, the only thing you may have to adjust is the collection rate as the valves tend not to be that stable, and maybe increase your heat at the end of the run to maintain reflux. As the temperature rises above 172-173, more heat is required to maintain temperature as there is more water in the wash and less ethanol.

                    Here is to a better 2nd run!

                    Roderick

                    Roderick Holmes <pure95percent@...> wrote:
[...]

                  • rodmacd2000
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 3 2:12 PM
                      Definitely candidates for a Darwin Award.

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Bashford" <tipitina@b...> wrote:
                      > This short video illustrates what happens when you light a bonfire
                      with a
                      > gallon of petrol (or 95% alcohol if you prefer).
                      >

                      > http://www.big-boys.com/articles/bonfireblowup.html
                      >

                      > Brian B.

                    • donald holcombe
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 3 6:55 PM
                        I have a friend who lost most of the skin on his right hand doing this same thing !!!

                        rodmacd2000 <rmacdoug@...> wrote:Definitely candidates for a Darwin Award.

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Bashford" <tipitina@b...> wrote:
                        > This short video illustrates what happens when you light a bonfire
                        with a
                        > gallon of petrol (or 95% alcohol if you prefer).
                        >

                        > http://www.big-boys.com/articles/bonfireblowup.html
                        >

                        > Brian B.

                      • Mark
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 4 5:35 PM
                          snip

                          > With your background, we could spend a happy evening over a few
                          jugs while I
                          > told you of the time I almost ripped the wing off a C-130 Hercules
                          by
                          > keeping it sideways in a small Gander hangar during a fast rising
                          storm. It
                          > was there I learned that the small tugs they had would NOT keep
                          the
                          > nosewheel from tromping! No greater ignorance than a young
                          engineering
                          > officer who thinks he knows everything! :-))
                          >
                          > All the best ... and many thanks for publishing that salutory
                          warning!
                          > Mike N

                          Hurky Birds RULE! Especially the ones with 3 big windows on the
                          left side.

                          Mark
                        • David W Lunsford
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 5 12:56 AM