Re: [Distillers] 1st run I caught on fire!!

  • Dean Thomas
    Message 1 of 16 , May 3, 2005
      sounds like to much heat for you reflux condenser to handle, vapour can
      be super heated past its boiling point resulting in pressure if there is
      not enough cooling to re-condense it all. Also in a valved reflux still
      shouldn't the top of the head be open to atmosphere for this reason ?

      Bet you wont do that again in a hurry ;)
      Dean.

      slipslider2 wrote:

      >The old sitcom "LOST IN SPACE" should be tatooed on the foreheads of
      >EVERY beginner of this hobby. I have been reading and studying this
      >hobby for over a year while designing and building my still. I
      >FINALLY cranked it up with water and vinegar for a final cleaning
      >then proceeded to run my first sugar wash (18%). I'm cooking on
      >propane and (the old crawfish boiling cajun that I am) cranked up the
      >heat to get my 26 liters to a boil. In full reflux I watched the
      >temp. gauge atop my column rise to 90 degrees then ZOOM to around 190
      >in an instant. I expected my valved reflux still to stabilize at, or
      >near 134 degrees(boiling point of acetone)deducing from my studies
      >that the head temperature would remain in that zone refluxing the
      >acetone until it was bled off. I immediately reduced the heat
      >assuming that I was "too hot" on the burner and made a "bee line" to
      >my computer to ask the simple question that I have NEVER read
      >about ... "At what temp. SHOULD my reflux still stabilize". My phone
      >line and impatience thwarted my effort. So ... seeing that my head
      >temp. was again high and that I had a few drops of liquid on the top
      >of my milk can, I decided to pull the cork on the top of the column
      >to see if I was still applying too much heat and boiling up my
      >column. As soon as I pulled the cork "Warning Will
      >Robinson" "DANGER" "DANGER" permeated throughout my head!!!!

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • slipslider2
      Message 2 of 16 , May 3, 2005
        Dean'
        I'm running an OFFSET valved reflux head. The top of the condenser
        has 4 - 1" holes drilled in the cap. See pics in slipsliders
        photos. I was just running WAY too many B.T. U.'s

        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2005
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "slipslider2" <slipslider2@y...>
          wrote:
          > Dean'
          > I'm running an OFFSET valved reflux head. The top of the
          condenser
          > has 4 - 1" holes drilled in the cap. See pics in slipsliders
          > photos. I was just running WAY too many B.T. U.'s

          My guess is ALL of your problems are stemming from just that, too
          many BTU's. You push it hard, there's lots of vapour, the condenser
          liquefy's it, it fills up PAST the reflux return pipe, then goes
          back to the column via the larger vapour pipe. That accounts for
          the sudden drop in temperature. Liquid is hitting the temp probe on
          it's way to escaping back to the column thru the vapour pipe. That
          also accounts for the spillage when you opened the column. The same
          escaping liquid was blown out the top as the path of least
          resistance. You need to lower the flame considerably, and adjust
          your takeoff rate / reflux rate so that reflux returns to the column
          through the correct (lower) pipe. You might also consider changing
          the angle of the reflux return pipe to 30° or bigger downward
          slope. That will allow the reflux to return much easier, but above
          all REDUCE that flame.

        • donald holcombe

            Message 5 of 16 , May 3, 2005
              I believe Acetone is the first alcohol to boil off at 134 F or 56.6 C
              Probably pretty hard to do what we do without a bit of it there.
              Or at least thats what I read on this forum.

              regards ric

              WHAT WERE YOU DOING WITH ACETONE ? BUILDING A BOMB ?

              slipslider2 <slipslider2@...> wrote: I have been reading and studying
              this
              hobby for over a year while designing and building my still. I expected
              my valved reflux still to stabilize at, or
              near 134 degrees(boiling point of acetone)deducing from my studies
              that the head temperature would remain in that zone refluxing the
              acetone until it was bled off.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

            • Mike Nixon
              Message 6 of 16 , May 4, 2005
                ric hutchings wrote:

                I believe Acetone is the first alcohol to boil off at 134 F or 56.6 C
                Probably pretty hard to do what we do without a bit of it there.
                Or at least thats what I read on this forum.
                ==============
                What's all this about acetone? Don't you mean ethyl acetate?

                All the best,
                Mike N
              • ric hutchings
                Message 7 of 16 , May 4, 2005
                  Mike I include here a copy of an earlier post on this forum.
                  Snowblind Moose
                  Date: 02/26/05 17:01:21
                  To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Evaporation Temp, Table

                  Hi Slipslider,

                  Is this what you're looking for? - It's from homedistiller.org:

                  The alcohols in the wash begin to vapourise from the wash around
                  specific temperatures. If by themselves they would be ...

                  Acetone 56.5C (134F)
                  Methanol (wood alcohol) 64C (147F)
                  Ethyl acetate 77.1C (171F)
                  Ethanol 78C (172F)
                  2-Propanol (rubbing alcohol) 82C (180F)
                  1-Propanol 97C (207F)
                  Water 100C (212F)
                  Butanol 116C (241F)
                  Amyl alcohol 137.8C (280F)
                  Furfural 161C (322F)

                  Once together, a mixture of several of them will be slightly
                  different however. You no longer get them coming off seperately, but
                  always as a mixture. Fortunately for us though, each of the species
                  will tend to dominate around its boiling point temperature, thus we
                  know whats "mostly" coming off at that point. By tracking the
                  temperature of the vapour, you have a fairly good idea when you're
                  collecting the Ethanol your after (78-82 °C), vs when it is starting
                  to get lean and you're into the higher alcohols.

                  -Tony

                  If I have miss read Acetone for ethyl acetate then I apologies.
                  If not then you may care to explain why such an erroneous posting could find
                  its way to the forum and then become accepted fact.
                  Or is it just more of that "nonsense " you referred to earlier today.
                  regards ric

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 4, 2005

                    Date: 02/26/05 17:01:21
                    To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                    ---------------------------------------
                    If I have miss read Acetone for ethyl acetate then I apologies.
                    If not then you may care to explain why such an erroneous posting could find
                    its way to the forum and then become accepted fact.
                    Or is it just more of that "nonsense " you referred to earlier today.
                    regards ric
                    ==========================
                    Good grief Ric ,,, no apologies needed! We're all here to get at the truth
                    of the matter I reckon. That list is a very fine one if you want a
                    comprehensive reference for boiling points of many of the possible compounds
                    that might be in a wash, and it is not "nonsense" at all. However, it does
                    not say that they will all be present, nor does it include some of the more
                    exotic compounds that might be around. In fact, not all of them are
                    alcohols.

                    Acetone is sometimes present in a wash, but almost always in very small
                    quantities unless you have gone very badly astray. Acetone is not an
                    alcohol ... it's a ketone. The most common compound in significant quantity
                    in heads (particularly sugar washes) is usually ethyl acetate ... also not
                    an alcohol. Yhis is a compound used in the food industry in small
                    quantities to enhance flavors, so it's not likely to strike you dead on the
                    spot. However, too much of it can be unpleasant.

                    This thing about acetone may be similar to the methanol that we keep hearing
                    about from those new to distilling. Both methanol and acetone are compounds
                    that are commonly known, for folklore stresses the dangers of methanol (very
                    real in the corn mashes the moonshiners used to make) and we still talk of
                    "methylated spirits" when methanol hasn't been used for decades to denature
                    ethanol.

                    Acetone is also very well known as nail polish remover, so both are chemical
                    names that many people are familiar with. The hardest job is trying to
                    convince people that these are not particularly common in what we do. As
                    most now know, you cannot get methanol from a sugar wash, but only from
                    grain or fruit washes that contain pectin. Acetone is actually quite hard
                    to make. You can get it from decomposition of starch, together with n-butyl
                    alcohol, but it is a bacterial reaction. This process was used widely in
                    the first World War when acetone was required for the manufacture of cordite
                    (see http://tinyurl.com/7s5dr ). You need a particularly dirty wash and the
                    appropriate bacteria before you might see this in quantity in one of your
                    brews ... but no brews are sterile, so a bit might crop up from time to
                    time. Another way you could get acetone is by oxidation of iso-propyl
                    alcohol (1-propanol), but you would need a mixture of sodium dichromate and
                    sulphuric acid to do it. Not recommended if you are aiming for something
                    good to drink!

                    Boring, eh?
                    All the best,
                    Mike N
                  • harle61274@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 4, 2005
                      OH MY LORD did you say cajun heheheheheeheh how bad did you get hurt or did
                      you excape.
                      harle

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 4, 2005
                        In a message dated 5/3/2005 10:44:42 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                        richutchings@... writes:

                        I believe Acetone is the first alcohol to boil off at 134 F or 56.6 C
                        Probably pretty hard to do what we do without a bit of it there.
                        Or at least thats what I read on this forum.

                        I was thinking methanol was the first but I can be rong
                        harle

                      • rodmacd2000
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 4, 2005
                          I have a very clear memory of the smell of my mother's nail polish
                          remover (acetone)from when I was a small boy and I definitely perceive
                          the same strong and noxious smell from the first couple of ounces of
                          foreshots at the start of a spirit run. I'm certain this is not the
                          smell of ethyl acetate.

                          I'm not a fanatic about cleanliness given that I work with a straight
                          sugar wash and a Turbo Yeast which completes its work in four days (so
                          I'm confident that I'm not "very badly astray").

                          No idea of *how much* acetone is there but it sure makes its presence
                          known to the nose.

                          IMHO

                          Rod

                          > Acetone is sometimes present in a wash, but almost always in very
                          small
                          > quantities unless you have gone very badly astray.
                          > Acetone is also very well known as nail polish remover, so both are
                          chemical
                          > names that many people are familiar with. The hardest job is
                          trying to
                          > convince people that these are not particularly common in what we
                          do.
                        • Mark
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 4, 2005
                            I suggest that you "calibrate" the still, per Alex's instructions.
                            Mark

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "slipslider2"
                            <slipslider2@y...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Dean'
                            > > I'm running an OFFSET valved reflux head. The top of the
                            > condenser
                            > > has 4 - 1" holes drilled in the cap. See pics in slipsliders
                            > > photos. I was just running WAY too many B.T. U.'s
                            > >

                            > My guess is ALL of your problems are stemming from just that, too
                            > many BTU's. You push it hard, there's lots of vapour, the
                            condenser
                            > liquefy's it, it fills up PAST the reflux return pipe, then goes
                            > back to the column via the larger vapour pipe. That accounts for
                            > the sudden drop in temperature. Liquid is hitting the temp probe
                            on
                            > it's way to escaping back to the column thru the vapour pipe.
                            That
                            > also accounts for the spillage when you opened the column. The
                            same
                            > escaping liquid was blown out the top as the path of least
                            > resistance. You need to lower the flame considerably, and adjust
                            > your takeoff rate / reflux rate so that reflux returns to the
                            column
                            > through the correct (lower) pipe. You might also consider
                            changing
                            > the angle of the reflux return pipe to 30° or bigger downward
                            > slope. That will allow the reflux to return much easier, but
                            above
                            > all REDUCE that flame.
                            >
                            > Slainte!
                            > regards Harry
                          • donald holcombe
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 4, 2005
                              I went back and reread your story and got a grip on all the contents. I spoke too quickly ! I cant say exactly what comes out of some of the washes we make . Iagree a small amount of several compound may be present. My origenal thought was you did a cleaning run. Cleaning with acetone and alcohol could be scary ! Ive only had one still blow up and I wasnt running it at the time. It was a 3 gallon still sealed with flour paste. It did fill the garage rapidly with steam, I never knew a 1 legged 260lb man could run faster than me. Be careful and I hope youre oK.

                              ric hutchings <richutchings@...> wrote:I believe Acetone is the first alcohol to boil off at 134 F or 56.6 C

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 21, 2005
                                You were right Harry ...
                                I WAS running too many B.T.U.'S ... FOR RATIO OF REFLUX RATE vs.
                                TAKEOFF RATE that I was using. It wasn't that the amount of heat
                                was too high in as much as the take-off rate was too low - allowing
                                the condensation tube to overflow into the vapour pipe.

                                I calibrated my still at the lower temp. setting and got 30
                                ml./minute. I adjusted my take off rate to 5 ml/minute and all
                                worked as it should.

                                GREAT troubleshooting skills Harry. KUDOS!

                                Laissez le bon temps roulette,
                                Slipslider the Cajun

                                Message 15 of 16 , May 21, 2005
                                  wrote:
                                  > You were right Harry ...
                                  > I WAS running too many B.T.U.'S ... FOR RATIO OF REFLUX RATE vs.
                                  > TAKEOFF RATE that I was using. It wasn't that the amount of heat
                                  > was too high in as much as the take-off rate was too low -
                                  allowing
                                  > the condensation tube to overflow into the vapour pipe.
                                  >
                                  > I calibrated my still at the lower temp. setting and got 30
                                  > ml./minute. I adjusted my take off rate to 5 ml/minute and all
                                  > worked as it should.
                                  >
                                  > GREAT troubleshooting skills Harry. KUDOS!
                                  >
                                  > Laissez le bon temps roulette,
                                  > Slipslider the Cajun

                                  Merci. Ca c'est bon! Lache pas la patate.