1st run I caught on fire!!

  • slipslider2
    Message 1 of 16 , May 3, 2005
      The old sitcom "LOST IN SPACE" should be tatooed on the foreheads of
      EVERY beginner of this hobby. I have been reading and studying this
      hobby for over a year while designing and building my still. I
      FINALLY cranked it up with water and vinegar for a final cleaning
      then proceeded to run my first sugar wash (18%). I'm cooking on
      propane and (the old crawfish boiling cajun that I am) cranked up the
      heat to get my 26 liters to a boil. In full reflux I watched the
      temp. gauge atop my column rise to 90 degrees then ZOOM to around 190
      in an instant. I expected my valved reflux still to stabilize at, or
      near 134 degrees(boiling point of acetone)deducing from my studies
      that the head temperature would remain in that zone refluxing the
      acetone until it was bled off. I immediately reduced the heat
      assuming that I was "too hot" on the burner and made a "bee line" to
      my computer to ask the simple question that I have NEVER read
      about ... "At what temp. SHOULD my reflux still stabilize". My phone
      line and impatience thwarted my effort. So ... seeing that my head
      temp. was again high and that I had a few drops of liquid on the top
      of my milk can, I decided to pull the cork on the top of the column
      to see if I was still applying too much heat and boiling up my
      column. As soon as I pulled the cork "Warning Will
      Robinson" "DANGER" "DANGER" permeated throughout my head!!!!
    • Dean Thomas
      Message 2 of 16 , May 3, 2005
        sounds like to much heat for you reflux condenser to handle, vapour can
        be super heated past its boiling point resulting in pressure if there is
        not enough cooling to re-condense it all. Also in a valved reflux still
        shouldn't the top of the head be open to atmosphere for this reason ?

        Bet you wont do that again in a hurry ;)
        Dean.

        slipslider2 wrote:

        >The old sitcom "LOST IN SPACE" should be tatooed on the foreheads of
        >EVERY beginner of this hobby. I have been reading and studying this
        >hobby for over a year while designing and building my still. I
        >FINALLY cranked it up with water and vinegar for a final cleaning
        >then proceeded to run my first sugar wash (18%). I'm cooking on
        >propane and (the old crawfish boiling cajun that I am) cranked up the
        >heat to get my 26 liters to a boil. In full reflux I watched the
        >temp. gauge atop my column rise to 90 degrees then ZOOM to around 190
        >in an instant. I expected my valved reflux still to stabilize at, or
        >near 134 degrees(boiling point of acetone)deducing from my studies
        >that the head temperature would remain in that zone refluxing the
        >acetone until it was bled off. I immediately reduced the heat
        >assuming that I was "too hot" on the burner and made a "bee line" to
        >my computer to ask the simple question that I have NEVER read
        >about ... "At what temp. SHOULD my reflux still stabilize". My phone
        >line and impatience thwarted my effort. So ... seeing that my head
        >temp. was again high and that I had a few drops of liquid on the top
        >of my milk can, I decided to pull the cork on the top of the column
        >to see if I was still applying too much heat and boiling up my
        >column. As soon as I pulled the cork "Warning Will
        >Robinson" "DANGER" "DANGER" permeated throughout my head!!!!

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • slipslider2
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2005
          Dean'
          I'm running an OFFSET valved reflux head. The top of the condenser
          has 4 - 1" holes drilled in the cap. See pics in slipsliders
          photos. I was just running WAY too many B.T. U.'s

          Message 4 of 16 , May 3, 2005
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "slipslider2" <slipslider2@y...>
            wrote:
            > Dean'
            > I'm running an OFFSET valved reflux head. The top of the
            condenser
            > has 4 - 1" holes drilled in the cap. See pics in slipsliders
            > photos. I was just running WAY too many B.T. U.'s

            My guess is ALL of your problems are stemming from just that, too
            many BTU's. You push it hard, there's lots of vapour, the condenser
            liquefy's it, it fills up PAST the reflux return pipe, then goes
            back to the column via the larger vapour pipe. That accounts for
            the sudden drop in temperature. Liquid is hitting the temp probe on
            it's way to escaping back to the column thru the vapour pipe. That
            also accounts for the spillage when you opened the column. The same
            escaping liquid was blown out the top as the path of least
            resistance. You need to lower the flame considerably, and adjust
            your takeoff rate / reflux rate so that reflux returns to the column
            through the correct (lower) pipe. You might also consider changing
            the angle of the reflux return pipe to 30° or bigger downward
            slope. That will allow the reflux to return much easier, but above
            all REDUCE that flame.

          • donald holcombe

              Message 6 of 16 , May 3, 2005
                I believe Acetone is the first alcohol to boil off at 134 F or 56.6 C
                Probably pretty hard to do what we do without a bit of it there.
                Or at least thats what I read on this forum.

                regards ric

                WHAT WERE YOU DOING WITH ACETONE ? BUILDING A BOMB ?

                slipslider2 <slipslider2@...> wrote: I have been reading and studying
                this
                hobby for over a year while designing and building my still. I expected
                my valved reflux still to stabilize at, or
                near 134 degrees(boiling point of acetone)deducing from my studies
                that the head temperature would remain in that zone refluxing the
                acetone until it was bled off.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

              • Mike Nixon
                Message 7 of 16 , May 4, 2005
                  ric hutchings wrote:

                  I believe Acetone is the first alcohol to boil off at 134 F or 56.6 C
                  Probably pretty hard to do what we do without a bit of it there.
                  Or at least thats what I read on this forum.
                  ==============
                  What's all this about acetone? Don't you mean ethyl acetate?

                  All the best,
                  Mike N
                • ric hutchings
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 4, 2005
                    Mike I include here a copy of an earlier post on this forum.
                    Snowblind Moose
                    Date: 02/26/05 17:01:21
                    To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Evaporation Temp, Table

                    Hi Slipslider,

                    Is this what you're looking for? - It's from homedistiller.org:

                    The alcohols in the wash begin to vapourise from the wash around
                    specific temperatures. If by themselves they would be ...

                    Acetone 56.5C (134F)
                    Methanol (wood alcohol) 64C (147F)
                    Ethyl acetate 77.1C (171F)
                    Ethanol 78C (172F)
                    2-Propanol (rubbing alcohol) 82C (180F)
                    1-Propanol 97C (207F)
                    Water 100C (212F)
                    Butanol 116C (241F)
                    Amyl alcohol 137.8C (280F)
                    Furfural 161C (322F)

                    Once together, a mixture of several of them will be slightly
                    different however. You no longer get them coming off seperately, but
                    always as a mixture. Fortunately for us though, each of the species
                    will tend to dominate around its boiling point temperature, thus we
                    know whats "mostly" coming off at that point. By tracking the
                    temperature of the vapour, you have a fairly good idea when you're
                    collecting the Ethanol your after (78-82 °C), vs when it is starting
                    to get lean and you're into the higher alcohols.

                    -Tony

                    If I have miss read Acetone for ethyl acetate then I apologies.
                    If not then you may care to explain why such an erroneous posting could find
                    its way to the forum and then become accepted fact.
                    Or is it just more of that "nonsense " you referred to earlier today.
                    regards ric

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 4, 2005

                      Date: 02/26/05 17:01:21
                      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                      ---------------------------------------
                      If I have miss read Acetone for ethyl acetate then I apologies.
                      If not then you may care to explain why such an erroneous posting could find
                      its way to the forum and then become accepted fact.
                      Or is it just more of that "nonsense " you referred to earlier today.
                      regards ric
                      ==========================
                      Good grief Ric ,,, no apologies needed! We're all here to get at the truth
                      of the matter I reckon. That list is a very fine one if you want a
                      comprehensive reference for boiling points of many of the possible compounds
                      that might be in a wash, and it is not "nonsense" at all. However, it does
                      not say that they will all be present, nor does it include some of the more
                      exotic compounds that might be around. In fact, not all of them are
                      alcohols.

                      Acetone is sometimes present in a wash, but almost always in very small
                      quantities unless you have gone very badly astray. Acetone is not an
                      alcohol ... it's a ketone. The most common compound in significant quantity
                      in heads (particularly sugar washes) is usually ethyl acetate ... also not
                      an alcohol. Yhis is a compound used in the food industry in small
                      quantities to enhance flavors, so it's not likely to strike you dead on the
                      spot. However, too much of it can be unpleasant.

                      This thing about acetone may be similar to the methanol that we keep hearing
                      about from those new to distilling. Both methanol and acetone are compounds
                      that are commonly known, for folklore stresses the dangers of methanol (very
                      real in the corn mashes the moonshiners used to make) and we still talk of
                      "methylated spirits" when methanol hasn't been used for decades to denature
                      ethanol.

                      Acetone is also very well known as nail polish remover, so both are chemical
                      names that many people are familiar with. The hardest job is trying to
                      convince people that these are not particularly common in what we do. As
                      most now know, you cannot get methanol from a sugar wash, but only from
                      grain or fruit washes that contain pectin. Acetone is actually quite hard
                      to make. You can get it from decomposition of starch, together with n-butyl
                      alcohol, but it is a bacterial reaction. This process was used widely in
                      the first World War when acetone was required for the manufacture of cordite
                      (see http://tinyurl.com/7s5dr ). You need a particularly dirty wash and the
                      appropriate bacteria before you might see this in quantity in one of your
                      brews ... but no brews are sterile, so a bit might crop up from time to
                      time. Another way you could get acetone is by oxidation of iso-propyl
                      alcohol (1-propanol), but you would need a mixture of sodium dichromate and
                      sulphuric acid to do it. Not recommended if you are aiming for something
                      good to drink!

                      Boring, eh?
                      All the best,
                      Mike N
                    • harle61274@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 4, 2005
                        OH MY LORD did you say cajun heheheheheeheh how bad did you get hurt or did
                        you excape.
                        harle

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 4, 2005
                          In a message dated 5/3/2005 10:44:42 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                          richutchings@... writes:

                          I believe Acetone is the first alcohol to boil off at 134 F or 56.6 C
                          Probably pretty hard to do what we do without a bit of it there.
                          Or at least thats what I read on this forum.

                          I was thinking methanol was the first but I can be rong
                          harle

                        • rodmacd2000
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 4, 2005
                            I have a very clear memory of the smell of my mother's nail polish
                            remover (acetone)from when I was a small boy and I definitely perceive
                            the same strong and noxious smell from the first couple of ounces of
                            foreshots at the start of a spirit run. I'm certain this is not the
                            smell of ethyl acetate.

                            I'm not a fanatic about cleanliness given that I work with a straight
                            sugar wash and a Turbo Yeast which completes its work in four days (so
                            I'm confident that I'm not "very badly astray").

                            No idea of *how much* acetone is there but it sure makes its presence
                            known to the nose.

                            IMHO

                            Rod

                            > Acetone is sometimes present in a wash, but almost always in very
                            small
                            > quantities unless you have gone very badly astray.
                            > Acetone is also very well known as nail polish remover, so both are
                            chemical
                            > names that many people are familiar with. The hardest job is
                            trying to
                            > convince people that these are not particularly common in what we
                            do.
                          • Mark
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 4, 2005
                              I suggest that you "calibrate" the still, per Alex's instructions.
                              Mark

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "slipslider2"
                              <slipslider2@y...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > Dean'
                              > > I'm running an OFFSET valved reflux head. The top of the
                              > condenser
                              > > has 4 - 1" holes drilled in the cap. See pics in slipsliders
                              > > photos. I was just running WAY too many B.T. U.'s
                              > >

                              > My guess is ALL of your problems are stemming from just that, too
                              > many BTU's. You push it hard, there's lots of vapour, the
                              condenser
                              > liquefy's it, it fills up PAST the reflux return pipe, then goes
                              > back to the column via the larger vapour pipe. That accounts for
                              > the sudden drop in temperature. Liquid is hitting the temp probe
                              on
                              > it's way to escaping back to the column thru the vapour pipe.
                              That
                              > also accounts for the spillage when you opened the column. The
                              same
                              > escaping liquid was blown out the top as the path of least
                              > resistance. You need to lower the flame considerably, and adjust
                              > your takeoff rate / reflux rate so that reflux returns to the
                              column
                              > through the correct (lower) pipe. You might also consider
                              changing
                              > the angle of the reflux return pipe to 30° or bigger downward
                              > slope. That will allow the reflux to return much easier, but
                              above
                              > all REDUCE that flame.
                              >
                              > Slainte!
                              > regards Harry
                            • donald holcombe
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 4, 2005
                                I went back and reread your story and got a grip on all the contents. I spoke too quickly ! I cant say exactly what comes out of some of the washes we make . Iagree a small amount of several compound may be present. My origenal thought was you did a cleaning run. Cleaning with acetone and alcohol could be scary ! Ive only had one still blow up and I wasnt running it at the time. It was a 3 gallon still sealed with flour paste. It did fill the garage rapidly with steam, I never knew a 1 legged 260lb man could run faster than me. Be careful and I hope youre oK.

                                ric hutchings <richutchings@...> wrote:I believe Acetone is the first alcohol to boil off at 134 F or 56.6 C

                                Message 15 of 16 , May 21, 2005
                                  You were right Harry ...
                                  I WAS running too many B.T.U.'S ... FOR RATIO OF REFLUX RATE vs.
                                  TAKEOFF RATE that I was using. It wasn't that the amount of heat
                                  was too high in as much as the take-off rate was too low - allowing
                                  the condensation tube to overflow into the vapour pipe.

                                  I calibrated my still at the lower temp. setting and got 30
                                  ml./minute. I adjusted my take off rate to 5 ml/minute and all
                                  worked as it should.

                                  GREAT troubleshooting skills Harry. KUDOS!

                                  Laissez le bon temps roulette,
                                  Slipslider the Cajun

                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 21, 2005
                                    wrote:
                                    > You were right Harry ...
                                    > I WAS running too many B.T.U.'S ... FOR RATIO OF REFLUX RATE vs.
                                    > TAKEOFF RATE that I was using. It wasn't that the amount of heat
                                    > was too high in as much as the take-off rate was too low -
                                    allowing
                                    > the condensation tube to overflow into the vapour pipe.
                                    >
                                    > I calibrated my still at the lower temp. setting and got 30
                                    > ml./minute. I adjusted my take off rate to 5 ml/minute and all
                                    > worked as it should.
                                    >
                                    > GREAT troubleshooting skills Harry. KUDOS!
                                    >
                                    > Laissez le bon temps roulette,
                                    > Slipslider the Cajun

                                    Merci. Ca c'est bon! Lache pas la patate.