Re: Digest Number 2340

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 2:43 PM
      I'd learn how to make a good vodka first. That way you have something
      to drink while you're learning how to make good beer. And frankly,
      good vodka aged on lightly toasted oak chips, then mixed with 15ml of
      pure maple syrup per 1750ml of 40%abv - IMHO that beats any whiskey
      I've ever had. I'm playing with grain based spirits just to keep me
      occupied - otherwise I'd design / build / scrap my 30th still.

      To learn how to make (ferment & distill) a good vodka, read and follow
      the information on Tony's homedistiller.org site. Make
      Alex's "supermarket moonshine" recipe over and over until you're happy
      with the product quality and yield. Then learn about turbo yeasts and
      brown sugars.

      To learn how to brew good all grain beer, I suggest getting a copy of
      Dave Millers book "The Complete Handbook Of Home Brewing" - AND - find
      and join a homebrew making club.

      I don't have a clue how to advise on the best still. The type
      probably depends on the range of things you want to make and how
      traditional you want to be. In my case, I'm embarassed to admit how
      many stills I've built in vain attempts to improve on the N/S design.
      That might be your best still starting point.

      Mark

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Edgmon