Re: Molasses distillation

  • Sven Pfitt
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2005
      Make sure the molasses is only molasses. Not a bunch of additives for
      the cattle as well.

      Sven
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Heimer" <dheimer@p...> wrote:
      > Yo' Guys,
      >
      > I've been having some problems with my molasses runs. The stuff
      stinks!
      > I'm talkin eye waterin, nostril burnin' horsepiss. After distilling
      at
      > 90% in a column still, filtering thru 5' of activated carbon,
      > redistilling to 92%, its still pretty intense. I'm using molasses
      used
      > to suppement cattle feed from my local farm supply. I mix it 3
      parts
      > molasses to 7 parts water, boil and pitch yeast when cool, in about
      two
      > weeks I siphon it off the trub and distill. Ideas?
      >
      > Regards, Dave H.
    • mel stull
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2005
        cow feed with vitamins and sulfur and things that cows
        need to make milk, use the human stuff the kind you
        get right after it made
        mel

      • toddk63
        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2005
          My washes are 3 parts sugar to 1 part molasses (16% abv). I don't put
          anything from the reflux still less than 92% into the main cut.

          Todd K.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Heimer" <dheimer@p...> wrote:
          > Yo' Guys,
          >
          > I've been having some problems with my molasses runs. The stuff stinks!
          > I'm talkin eye waterin, nostril burnin' horsepiss. After distilling at
          > 90% in a column still, filtering thru 5' of activated carbon,
          > redistilling to 92%, its still pretty intense. I'm using molasses used
          > to suppement cattle feed from my local farm supply. I mix it 3 parts
          > molasses to 7 parts water, boil and pitch yeast when cool, in about two
          > weeks I siphon it off the trub and distill. Ideas?
          >
          > Regards, Dave H.
        • KJH
          Message 4 of 14 , May 2, 2005
            ? can u get higher quality...........Ken

          • BFY51@prankster13.fsnet.co.uk
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2005
              have you copper in your still. I did a molasses run without copper in my
              still and it stunk, re run it still stank. run it through with copper mesh
              packing, and it came out clean...
            • Dave Heimer
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2005
                Yo' Guys,

                I got the info from the farm supply and the stuph is supplemented with vitamins and minerals, including urea. Which seems to be the off smell.

                Regards, Dave H.

                ? can u get higher quality...........Ken
                > My washes are 3 parts sugar to 1 part molasses (16% abv). I don't put
                > anything from the reflux still less than 92% into the main cut.
                >
                > Todd K.
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Heimer" <dheimer@p...> wrote:
                >> Yo' Guys,
                >>
                >> I've been having some problems with my molasses runs. The stuff stinks!
                >> I'm talkin eye waterin, nostril burnin' horsepiss. After distilling at
                >> 90% in a column still, filtering thru 5' of activated carbon,
                >> redistilling to 92%, its still pretty intense. I'm using molasses used
                >> to suppement cattle feed from my local farm supply. I mix it 3 parts
                >> molasses to 7 parts water, boil and pitch yeast when cool, in about two
                >> weeks I siphon it off the trub and distill. Ideas?
                >>
                >> Regards, Dave H.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Dave Heimer
                Message 7 of 14 , May 3, 2005
                  No, but I'll certainly give it a try. I hate to see this all go to waste.

                  Thanx, Dave H.
                  have you copper in your still. I did a molasses run without copper in my
                  still and it stunk, re run it still stank. run it through with copper mesh
                  packing, and it came out clean...

                • Jeff Gedney
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3, 2005

                    >Yo' Guys,
                    >
                    >I've been having some problems with my molasses runs. The stuff stinks!
                    >I'm talkin eye waterin, nostril burnin' horsepiss. After distilling at
                    >90% in a column still, filtering thru 5' of activated carbon,
                    >redistilling to 92%, its still pretty intense. I'm using molasses used
                    >to suppement cattle feed from my local farm supply. I mix it 3 parts
                    >molasses to 7 parts water, boil and pitch yeast when cool, in about two
                    >weeks I siphon it off the trub and distill. Ideas?

                    Just a Suggestion:

                    Make sure you are using UNSULPHURED molasses.
                    "Feed" Molasses is frequently treated with sulfates as a preservative.
                    That could be one source of your stink...
                    Check to see how much more it would cost to make a run with just "dark brown" sugar.
                    Brown sugar is usually white sugar with molasses added.
                    That might be cheap enough and still have the flavor profile you are looking for in your rum runs. Restaraunt supply places in your area would be able to sell you the stuff cheap enough, I would think.
                    Go to your local bakery and ask then where they buy their sugar.
                    Most such places sell to the public as well.

                    Also don't use a Beer yeast, use a Wine yeast that is
                    tolerant of sulphites without creating sulphide gasses..
                    And avoid the use of Sulfites in preparing your vat, and
                    sterilizing your wash.

                    (I dont know if you do any of these things but all of them make for
                    nostril clearing odors... )

                    Capt Elias
                    -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

                    - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
                    There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA
                    than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

                    If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
                    wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
                    to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
                    - Antoine de Saint Exupery
                  • Lindsay Williams
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 3, 2005
                      Should give you a nice shiny coat, though!!

                      Cheers,
                      Lindsay.

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Heimer" <dheimer@p...> wrote:
                      > Yo' Guys,
                      >
                      > I got the info from the farm supply and the stuph is supplemented
                      with vitamins and minerals, including urea. Which seems to be the off
                      smell.

                      > Regards, Dave H.

                    • donald holcombe

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 3, 2005
                          Better to waste than get sick !

                          Dave Heimer <dheimer@...> wrote:No, but I'll certainly give it a try. I hate to see this all go to waste.

                          Thanx, Dave H.

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 4, 2005
                            In a message dated 5/3/2005 4:25:42 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                            linw@... writes:

                            Should give you a nice shiny coat, though!!

                            Cheers,
                            Lindsay.

                            be carfule I know a guy that used feed that had vitamens and others stuff,
                            and it gave every one that drank it the trots. but on the bright side you would
                            have clean bowls hehehe
                            harle

                          • Dave Heimer
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 5, 2005