Re: [Distillers] Digest Number 2340

  • Patrick Edgmon
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2005
      Message: 4
      Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 15:17:38 -0000
      From: "Mark" <markgofast@...>
      Subject: Re: Triple distilled Irish Whiskey.

      Mark would you care to comment on any of these steps?
      Or maybe recommend a good source for these steps?

      Patrick Edgmon

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2005
        I'd learn how to make a good vodka first. That way you have something
        to drink while you're learning how to make good beer. And frankly,
        good vodka aged on lightly toasted oak chips, then mixed with 15ml of
        pure maple syrup per 1750ml of 40%abv - IMHO that beats any whiskey
        I've ever had. I'm playing with grain based spirits just to keep me
        occupied - otherwise I'd design / build / scrap my 30th still.

        To learn how to make (ferment & distill) a good vodka, read and follow
        the information on Tony's homedistiller.org site. Make
        Alex's "supermarket moonshine" recipe over and over until you're happy
        with the product quality and yield. Then learn about turbo yeasts and
        brown sugars.

        To learn how to brew good all grain beer, I suggest getting a copy of
        Dave Millers book "The Complete Handbook Of Home Brewing" - AND - find
        and join a homebrew making club.

        I don't have a clue how to advise on the best still. The type
        probably depends on the range of things you want to make and how
        traditional you want to be. In my case, I'm embarassed to admit how
        many stills I've built in vain attempts to improve on the N/S design.
        That might be your best still starting point.

        Mark

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Edgmon