Re: [Distillers] Re: Triple distilled Irish Whiskey.

  • Héctor A. Landaeta C.
    Message 1 of 48 , May 1, 2005
      On 4/29/05 8:33 PM, "Mike Nixon" <mike@...> wrote:

      > =============================
      >
      > I must admit that my main interest is on the engineering side, so I am
      > particularly interested in all the cunning tricks that can be done with ARC
      > etc. etc. However, the more I learn about distillation, the more I am
      > beginning to appreciate that design should have as its aim the final product
      > that is desired rather than clever tricks that can be demonstrated in the
      > hardware ... unless those "tricks" help the distiller in that final aim. As
      > examples of those, can I offer some "holy grails"?
      > *Continuous "built-in" monitoring of the SG of the product stream ... this
      > has been achieved in industry with ultrasonics, but can anyone think of a
      > method that could easily be used by amateurs?

      What Harry says could work with my first but not my last hydrometer. I
      bought an American Ertco with temp correction (inside the hydrometer there¹s
      a thermometer, and in the back of the Tralle scale there¹s a correction
      table you use in conjunction with the temp reading) that¹s 37 cms tall, you
      need a 50 cm or little less tall container to make it float and the minimum
      volume you need to make it float is about 430 ml, which for most batches is
      a bit too much, at least for head cutting, and I¹m talking a 90 liter fill
      capacity boiler here. Since I began using this gadget all the previous
      others lay gathering dust in the corner of my labs table. Ease of use,
      speed of readings and precision are the most important reasons I prefer this
      hydrometer over any other.

      > *A simple method that would assist those trying to make cuts at the right
      > time?

      I¹ve been playing ping-pong in my head with a Rube Goldberg kind of gadget
      that could ring a little bell (or hit a little contact switch for the more
      digitally oriented) when the hydrometer inside a contraption just like
      Harry¹s ³parrot beak² hits a certain heights. But it hasn¹t built critical
      mass yet.

      > *A practical method of continuous extraction that utilises a very small
      > heater (fully processing a small part of a continuous stream, ie. do away with
      > big boilers) that also enables clear separation of the middle cut from heads
      > and tails, or automatic inclusion of a predetermined proportion of heads and
      > tails?
      > *Ditto the last ... but starting from the wash, ie. do away with
      > stripping.

      That I have time pondering at. I got to see and have explained the Jacob
      Carl continuous column they have at Santa Teresa distillery ²near² my
      Colonia Tovar home, it uses an in-line pre-heater plate heat exchanger also
      heated by steam and then this very hot wash stream is fed into a small
      volume (for the yield of the still, that is) holding tank that¹s got some
      live steam injectors at the bottom. The volatile components of the wash go
      up that column like a rocket! The thing is that this particular column is
      plate rigged not packed. At different plates they get different
      compositions (water/alcohol and alcohol/congener) of distillate so they can
      effectively separate heart, head and tails continuously, just like in an oil
      distillery (remember those days same time ago I was obsessed with small
      plate column practicality?). The physics of this evade me. Perhaps until I
      get hold of the underlying principia I won¹t be able to design a smaller
      version of this for myself but still I¹ve been playing with the idea of a
      small, vendor size expresso machine boiler (this critters get to use only a
      700 watt elements to produce and amazingly large and constant stream of
      vapor) to feed an injector system on my boiler¹s bottom and using the
      downstream condenser¹s hot water to pre-heat the incoming wash (for
      continuous stripping) with a coiled tube-in-tube type heat exchanger. I¹m
      not planning to build any still soon but my next will be somewhere near this
      lines.
      Salud!
      --
      Héctor Landaeta
      Maracaibo, Venezuela.

    • duds2u
      Message 48 of 48 , Apr 30, 2007
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocky_creek1" <rocky_creek@...>
        wrote:

        > Anyone know where they make the cuts?

        After many hours of web browsing I have found a little more on the
        cuts for triple distillation. It just happens that it is for a scotch
        whisky though but the flow chart looks very similar to Irish. I
        found it on the Benrinnes site and will paraphrase it with some of my
        own inclusions. Unfortunately I don't have the complete story yet as
        I haven't been able to discover the cuts they make for the final
        Heart.

        The First Distillation - Wash Still
        The out put of the wash still is split into heads and tails; the
        Strong Low Wines, cut at >30% ABV, and Weak Low Wines cut at <30% ABV.

        The Second Distillation - Low Wines Still
        The Low Wines Still is charged with the Weak Low Wines, plus the Weak
        Feints (<30%) from the last distillation in the Low Wines Still, plus
        the <30% Feints (Tails) from the Spirit Still. This is distilled and
        again the out put is split in two, Strong Feints (>30% ABV) and Weak
        Feints (<30%).

        The Third Distillation - Spirit Still
        The Spirit Still is then loaded with the Strong Low Wines from the
        Wash Still, plus the Strong Feints, plus the Heads from the previous
        Spirit Still run.

        This is then distilled and split into four. Heads, Heart, >30%
        feints and <30% feints.

        I hope that it too confusing without a flow chart.

        Anyone care to make an educated stab at their final cuts if they were
        making heart runs at about 89 to 92%ABV? I pulled those numbers out
        of the flow chart in Harry's library.
        Cheers
        Mal T.