Re: Rum time

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 29, 2005
      In India fermenting coconut palm sap or sugarcane juice will give
      you 'toddy' which when distilled will give 'arack'. In Brazil cachaca
      (pronounced 'kachasa') is made from sugarcane juice as is 'rhum
      agricole' in the French Carribean islands.
      wal
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Hrisheet ." <revvhead@h...> wrote:
      > Well WHat is easily avaliable here is Jaggery,
      > Which is still make from cane itself!
      > For some reason , i dont know why that idea did not ccur to me.
      > I gues th easy avaliability of sugarcane juice must have put the
      idea in my
      > head
      > (It is sold on every other street corner. esp in summer as a cool
      refreshing
      > drink,
      > Nice and fresh as the cane is crushed right in front of you when
      you ask for
      > a glass
      > and two minutes later, there you have it)
      >
      > I had made an attempt with the juice a while back, but missed the
      bit on
      > tony's site where it said
      > that i have to add nutrients for the yeast!!
      > So this will be my next attempt
      >
      > What i wanted to know is do i just open the paket of yeast and
      throw it in
      > or do i have to put it ina bowl of water first for a while??
      >

      > Cheers & thanks
      > Hrisheet
      >

      > >From: Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
      > >
      > >Welcome Hrisheet. I'm wondering if you could use palm sugar in
      place of
      > >molasses. I think that it is known as jaggery (sp?) in parts of
      India.
      > >Anyone know if that will make something resembling rum? Check out
      Harry's
      > >library for a authenic rum recipe handed down by his grandfather
      (?). Rana

    • Héctor A. Landaeta C.
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 29, 2005
        On 4/29/05 9:24 AM, "waljaco" <waljaco@...> wrote:

        > In India fermenting coconut palm sap or sugarcane juice will give
        > you 'toddy' which when distilled will give 'arack'. In Brazil cachaca
        > (pronounced 'kachasa') is made from sugarcane juice as is 'rhum
        > agricole' in the French Carribean islands.

        Hola Walter!
        Not only that, my friend! It will also give you the most flavorful,
        aromatic and intense spirit you can distill and, if so inclined, age to be
        an exceptional, very rare rum. Hrisheet, What you¹ve got is not a handicap
        but a goldmine! If you have sugar cane juice aplenty available to you then
        you¹ve got it made, rum wise. People in the know use molasses because they
        can¹t get or are too cheap or too lazy to make for themselves (my case)
        their own sugar cane juice. In this hereabouts it¹s part of our folklore to
        drink with some ice and a few drops of lemon juice as a refreshment and
        ³energy drink² from street vendors. What a waste!
        You can use with it (undiluted, that is) any baker¹s yeast but Morgan is
        right on advising on Champagne or for that matter any well behaved wine
        yeast would do the trick better. Morgan¹s advice on re-hydrating the yeast
        is very sound but read the label because nowadays there¹s this new type of
        yeasts that come ready to use ³on the wash². They¹re so strictly designed
        in that way that if you re-hydrate with water to avoid the old time dried
        yeast osmotic shock you will reduce it¹s viability by more than 60% (fact
        proven by myself under a microscope. I have the old habit to never believe
        anything a salesman rants). So read the label and good luck on your new
        hobby.
        Salud!
        --
        Héctor Landaeta
        Maracaibo, Venezuela.

      • Héctor A. Landaeta C.
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 29, 2005
          On 4/28/05 12:55 AM, "Hrisheet ." <revvhead@...> wrote:

          > I had made an attempt with the juice a while back, but missed the bit on
          > tony's site where it said
          > that i have to add nutrients for the yeast!!
          > So this will be my next attempt

          Hola Hrisheet!
          Well, that would be a perfect waste of a nutrient¹s use because ³jaggery²,
          as you name it (we call it here ³jugo de caña² or cane (sugar cane) juice),
          has every bit as much or perhaps more of the elements that make the yeastie
          beasties happy. That much is true for molasses washes (it has them even
          more concentrated because of the refining process) for which I¹ve read with
          amusement some people in this list adding tomato paste and other concoctions
          all of them absolutely wasteful. Yeast nutrient could be MADE out of
          molasses alone, but it¹s un-processed mother, the cane juice itself,
          definitively doesn¹t need any nutrients to make yeast thrive in it.
          Salud!
          --
          Héctor Landaeta
          Maracaibo, Venezuela.

        • Hrisheet .
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 30, 2005
            Hola Hector,
            Que Tal?

            Muchas gracias for all the info you provided me with.
            I shall go ahead on the cane juice then.
            BTW we do drink it in the blazing summer with ice & a squeeze of lime- Ahh
            Lovely!!

            My frist attempt was all enthusiasm & no thought really filled with all
            sorts of errors.
            Just went, bought some cane juice from the vendor,
            Put it in these nice dark bottles that i have,
            Opened a packet of yeast and threw too little of it in!!!!!!!!!
            Then added more and got some bubbling, got excited and covered the mouth of
            the bottle with cling film!!!
            After which i got called off to work, so shoved it under my bed and came
            back six months later
            hoping that mother nature would have done soemthing!!!

            PS- What we call jaggery is a solid brown substance, which is what is got
            before refining it into sugar

            So this attempt will be a better one at any rate!!! or so i hope