Re: [Distillers] refractometer?

  • donald holcombe
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28 6:24 PM
      Im not sure a refractometer can be used for distillates unless it is labeled as such. All the remeters I have used checked for SG above water ie antifreze or battery acid and sugar.Check the owners manual to see if its calibrated for distillates. You probably should get a P&T hydrometer. It measures SG below water .

      californiashiner <califshiner@...> wrote:
      I'm using a refractometer during the distillation process, but don't
      know exactly what I'm look for. When the run starts the 'Heads" brix
      is about 21 and the tails seems to be anywhere between 12 and 5. I
      know the instrument measures sugar content but how does this correlate
      with alcohol level? Is there a chart referencing brix and alcohol
      level?
      Was successful in using the refractometer in determining originating SG
      and terminating SG of the mash to find the alcohol by volume of the
      mash but how can I use it during distillation?