Hello

  • johnpedamoe
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 21, 2005
      Just wanted to introduce myself. I was a member for two years as
      rudytbagis or raptilicus. The old pc broke and just got a new one.
      great group!
    • his_last_montreux
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
        Hi, I'm new to this newsgroup and currently interested in the easiest
        method of distillation - the "amazing" low-temp plastic bucket-style
        still you've probably heard about, before I move on to learning
        greater things. I've read that plastic is slightly soluble in alcohol
        and thus is not good for stills, making the product cloudy, though I'm
        sure that the poor quality (plastic-leaching or no) of the aquarium
        heater still can be improved to something palatable with decent
        activated carbon filtering. If someone who's worked with this type of
        "still" could give me some feedback, I'd appreciate it greatly. The
        following is what I think is a primitive working plan - please give me
        some comments! -

        Mash (very crude):

        Saw this super simple mash on Tony Ackland's site -

        "One of my favorite recipes is simple: in a 5-gal (20L) bucket throw
        in 10-12 pounds (5kg) of white sugar, pour 2 1/2gal. (10L) of near
        boiling water in and stir well. then mix 2 gal. (8L) of your favorite
        fruit juice. I've found that the more exotic the fruit the better
        flavor you get. toss a good sized handful of yeast on top, stir well
        cover the bucket and leave in a warm place for 2 weeks. Siphon into
        your still and cook at 180 degrees F (82C) and collect the spirit. One
        way to tell when to stop is when the liquid will no longer burn a
        bright blue flame."

        So assuming this low quality mash is prepared exactly as described, my
        main question is whether the fruit juice is supposed to supply the
        nutrients the yeast needs, and if so, should more expensive or frozen
        canned juice be used?

        Thanks,
        Erich
      • bbornais
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
          Besides the fact that pretty much everybody tries to avoid plastics in
          the alcohol vapour path as much as possible, the main problem with such
          a still is taking cuts. If you are planning on learning this hobby,
          then there is not much this still can teach you, since you have no way
          of figuring out what foreshots, heads, hearts, and tails will
          smell/feel/taste like. And they will also be in your swill...which is
          gross.

          Bryan.
        • joe giffen
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
            I can only endorse the words of bbornais. Avoid plastic except when fermenting. The amazing still is, in my honest opinion rubbish. The cheapest way to get into real distilling is probably bokokob,s mini still, which can be expanded easily to a 2inch still
            regards
            Joe

            bbornais <bbornais@...> wrote:
            Besides the fact that pretty much everybody tries to avoid plastics in
            the alcohol vapour path as much as possible, the main problem with such
            a still is taking cuts. If you are planning on learning this hobby,
            then there is not much this still can teach you, since you have no way
            of figuring out what foreshots, heads, hearts, and tails will
            smell/feel/taste like. And they will also be in your swill...which is
            gross.

            Bryan.

            Regards
            Joe

          • joe giffen

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                --- his_last_montreux <his_last_montreux@...> wrote:
                > Saw this super simple mash on Tony Ackland's site -

                For starters, you can't find a better and more comprehensive source for
                information than Tony's site...kudos for that...keep reading and re-reading it.

                > "One of my favorite recipes is simple: in a 5-gal (20L) bucket throw
                > in 10-12 pounds (5kg) of white sugar, pour 2 1/2gal. (10L) of near
                > boiling water in and stir well. then mix 2 gal. (8L) of your favorite
                > fruit juice. I've found that the more exotic the fruit the better
                > flavor you get. toss a good sized handful of yeast on top, stir well
                > cover the bucket and leave in a warm place for 2 weeks.

                Not a bad start, but for simplicity's sake and price, replace the 2 gallons of
                fruit juice with 2 cups of unsulphured molasses (the darker the better) boiled
                up in 2 gallons of water. The juice of one lemon will help invert the sugars
                and add the necessary acidity to make the yeast happy. For these style washes,
                I use a baby food jar (Gerber, to be specific) to measure out my yeast...I use
                bulk red-star baking yeast (<$4.00 for a pound). It's a lot more than you
                NEED, but the more yeast you use, the quicker and cleaner the fermentation.

                > Siphon into
                > your still and cook at 180 degrees F (82C) and collect the spirit. One
                > way to tell when to stop is when the liquid will no longer burn a
                > bright blue flame."

                Ignore the temperature specified, and distill until the top of the column (this
                location is important) is around 96C/205F. Your output will be around 10-12%
                abv at this point (this is your "stripping run").

                > So assuming this low quality mash is prepared exactly as described, my
                > main question is whether the fruit juice is supposed to supply the
                > nutrients the yeast needs, and if so, should more expensive or frozen
                > canned juice be used?

                You can use either...but then, if you're going for simplicity and economy,
                molasses will do the trick.

                Now, after you've done your stripping run, you now have "low wines." Here's
                where you can ether re-run the low wines very slowly through a pot-still like
                setup or through a reflux rig, depending on what you have assembled for
                yourself. However, at this stage you're much better off if you have an
                all-metal setup and no plastic...trust me, the extra time and expense acquiring
                and assembling the rig will be well worth it. There's continuous debate over
                the merits and hazards over aluminum, so use your own judgment on that call.
                Just stay away from galvanized anything. Copper is your best friend and worth
                every penny of its current exorbitant cost.

                The mini-still has established a really good reputation for bang-for-the-buck
                quality, but I have no personal experience with it as I lean towards pot stills
                and the products they yield.

                Happy stillin' and keep us posted how things turn out.

                Trid
                -gearing back up for some sour-mash peated single malt
              • his_last_montreux
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                  The mini-still, okay, that sounds good. I was aware of the fact that I
                  couldn't separate tails and heads with the Amazing still, I thought
                  that half a dozen passes through a Brita system would aid me there. So
                  is there a limit for the yeast like there is for sugar? Or could I
                  theoretically dump 10 times as much as I needed and have a better
                  ferment without worry?

                  Thanks for the advice, guys.

                  -Erich

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                    --- his_last_montreux <his_last_montreux@...> wrote:

                    > The mini-still, okay, that sounds good. I was aware of the fact that I
                    > couldn't separate tails and heads with the Amazing still, I thought
                    > that half a dozen passes through a Brita system would aid me there. So
                    > is there a limit for the yeast like there is for sugar? Or could I
                    > theoretically dump 10 times as much as I needed and have a better
                    > ferment without worry?

                    Within reason...yes it will ferment just fine. However, it depends on what
                    yeast you're using. Baking yeast doesn't flocculate well, so it will take a
                    long time for it to settle out after the fermentation is complete...relatively
                    speaking. Sometimes, if you have too much yeast in your wash when you run it
                    through the still, that yeasty flavor is carried over into the finished product
                    similar to the flavors from whisky or rum or brandy is carried over from their
                    respective washes.

                    In my early days of sugar washes, I'd get very impatient between fermenting and
                    distilling and run my washes way too soon. The initial feedback from most was
                    that it tasted "yeasty." There's a lot of discussion about using fining agents
                    for clarifying the wash prior to distilling. Many people will distill the
                    whole thing, grain, sludge, yeast and all. My personal take on it is to let
                    time allow the yeast and sediment to fall out naturally, siphon off the
                    clear-ish wash to run, and toss in more sugar/water/molasses mix in with the
                    sediment of the previous run. I've run up to 7 successive batches on one dose
                    of yeast...do aerate well between batches and watch your pH.

                    I generally do 5 gallon washes, so if I start one bucket, I wait a week and
                    start a second bucket fermenting. This sets me up where I can run one a week
                    alternately. Two weeks should be plenty of time for fermenting and clarifying
                    that's adequate for what we're doing. You can, of course, fine tune it to your
                    recipes and conditions. Meanwhile, check your washes daily, taste and sniff to
                    make sure your fermentations are doing their thing.

                    Trid
                    -come to think of it, I need some more neutral spirits for future "experiments"
                  • joe giffen
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                      Hi ,
                      First ,you should  not be on distillers,but on new distillers,second you should study distilling from the various sites available to you, and I am not sure I understand what you are talking
                      about. We are here to help anyone who wants to make safe and potable drink, using either pot or reflux stills. Our language is english,but I am sure we  would try to help anyone.
                      Joe

                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                        What are you talking about?,the question you purport to answer is nonsense to anyone who knows about distilling.?.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                          --- joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                          > What are you talking about?,the question you purport to answer is nonsense to
                          > anyone who knows about distilling.?.

                          I understood it just fine and I both speak English and know (a thing or two)
                          about distilling. While I overlook his statement towards the precept that
                          filtering through a brita filter would substitute for proper cuts, I had no
                          difficulty following the intent of his question...and if I did, I'm sure I'll
                          be corrected.

                          It does nobody any good to be so antagonistic and only serves to make you look
                          more like a bully than a constructive contributor to the list.

                          Lighten up, Joe.
                          Trid
                        • his_last_montreux
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007

                            > --- joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > What are you talking about?,the question you purport to answer is
                            nonsense to
                            > > anyone who knows about distilling.?.
                            >
                            > I understood it just fine and I both speak English and know (a thing
                            or two)
                            > about distilling. While I overlook his statement towards the
                            precept that
                            > filtering through a brita filter would substitute for proper cuts, I
                            had no
                            > difficulty following the intent of his question...and if I did, I'm
                            sure I'll
                            > be corrected.
                            >
                            > It does nobody any good to be so antagonistic and only serves to
                            make you look
                            > more like a bully than a constructive contributor to the list.
                            >
                            > Lighten up, Joe.
                            > Trid

                            Thanks Trid. Yes, I should be posing questions to the New Distillers
                            group. It was really late when I first posted this, and I'm signed up
                            for New Distillers but on my other Yahoo address, which I arranged,
                            ironically, to avoid confusion between which one I was reading/posting
                            on. I ask stupid questions because I'm overeager to learn. I know I'm
                            nowhere near finished with the amount of reading I need to do online.
                            New Distillers, I'm sure, will obviously be more lenient to such a
                            newb. Hope I didn't ruin your life, Joe. =p
                          • sonum norbu
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                              or you can make a coil in bucket pot still for 2/3 of stuff all, and really learn about making cuts...AND...fine likker.

                              blanik

                              SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                              http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

                              Powered by Outblaze
                            • sonum norbu
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                                I very much doubt that you have ruined Joe's life but beware of being overeager and trying shortcuts. Distilling is a serious business and needs to be approached with a degree of caution, initially at least. I also had a great deal of difficulty following your post, but you haven't ruined my life either.

                                Read, read and re-read tony's book on http://homedistiller.org/

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                                  --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:

                                  > I very much doubt that you have ruined Joe's life but beware of being
                                  > overeager and trying shortcuts. Distilling is a serious business and needs
                                  > to be approached with a degree of caution, initially at least. I also had a
                                  > great deal of difficulty following your post, but you haven't ruined my life
                                  > either.

                                  I will admit that my start in the hobby consisted of everything I could think
                                  of to make shortcuts. My failures at the hands of those shortcuts were every
                                  bit as valuable as lessons as getting things right. There's a lot to be said
                                  for the value of lessons learned "the hard way" as I did. Besides, provided you
                                  survive, there are grandly amusing stories to be told about those failures.

                                  Trid
                                  -hey y'all, watch this...OW!!!
                                • sonum norbu
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                                    YUP!!

                                  • abbababbaccc
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                                      Ahh, plastics and alcohol. A subject that has been strictly banned
                                      in some discussion groups. Well, in here we believe in research and
                                      technology and we can take a neutral view on the subject.

                                      First of all, there are countless brands of plastics with different
                                      chemical properties. Few of those have their uses in distillation
                                      while the wast majority is not suited for our purposes - some may
                                      even be dangerous or pose a threat to your health. So, it is
                                      EXTREMELY important that you use only a brand of plastic that you
                                      know will work under conditions you are exposing it to. Of course if
                                      you are into experimenting do go ahead, just analyze results before
                                      drinking the stuff.

                                      Now as I said there are some plastics that are extremely usefull for
                                      our purposes.

                                      - The first of them is white PTFE (Teflon) tape. This can be used as
                                      gasket material and few wraps of that around a leaking seam usually
                                      fixes the leak. PTFE is also available in other forms and can be
                                      used as a generic gasket material if you have machine tools to form
                                      it.
                                      - Then we have aquarium grade (non-toxic) RTV (room temperature
                                      vulcanizing) silicone. That's another excellent gasket material that
                                      you can mold or use as a glue, even inside the still and in the
                                      vapor path. Just let it cure properly before exposing it to alcohol.

                                      - The third useful material is polypropylene plastic that identified
                                      by an arrow triangle with letters PP or number 5 in it. PP stands
                                      the heat quite well and is inert to lower concentrations of alcohol
                                      vapor. However, when in prolonged contact with high proof
                                      ethanol/propanol vapors (tails in practice) some brands (there are
                                      many brands of PP) have leached off softeners and deformed. The
                                      usage I have found for PP in distillation is to use it as a boiler
                                      material. PP buckets are widely sold as fermentation buckets and
                                      provide excellent low cost boilers for our use. The only thing to
                                      watch is to not distill high proof mashes in them. Even some
                                      commercial still makers have used PP buckets as boilers for their
                                      stills.

                                      - Other plastics, there's at least Viton and few other higher cost
                                      plastics that could be used as gasket materials. However, these are
                                      not very common so I won't go into details with those.

                                      So, to answer your actual question: Amazing still made from PP works
                                      and it does not leach plastizisers unless they come from your
                                      heater. It's a crude and inefficient design, although extremely easy
                                      to operate and can be modified to become a decent pot still (bucket-
                                      on-top-of-the-bucket design). For the money and trouble you will be
                                      much better off by building a spirall still. Instructions for that
                                      can be found here:
                                      http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%
                                      20Listings

                                      Cheers, Riku

                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "his_last_montreux"
                                      <his_last_montreux@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi, I'm new to this newsgroup and currently interested in the
                                      easiest
                                      > method of distillation - the "amazing" low-temp plastic bucket-
                                      style
                                      > still you've probably heard about, before I move on to learning
                                      > greater things. I've read that plastic is slightly soluble in
                                      alcohol
                                      > and thus is not good for stills, making the product cloudy, though
                                      I'm
                                      > sure that the poor quality (plastic-leaching or no) of the aquarium
                                      > heater still can be improved to something palatable with decent
                                      > activated carbon filtering. If someone who's worked with this type
                                      of
                                      > "still" could give me some feedback, I'd appreciate it greatly. The
                                      > following is what I think is a primitive working plan - please
                                      give me
                                      > some comments! -
                                      >
                                      > Mash (very crude):
                                      >
                                      > Saw this super simple mash on Tony Ackland's site -
                                      >
                                      > "One of my favorite recipes is simple: in a 5-gal (20L) bucket
                                      throw
                                      > in 10-12 pounds (5kg) of white sugar, pour 2 1/2gal. (10L) of near
                                      > boiling water in and stir well. then mix 2 gal. (8L) of your
                                      favorite
                                      > fruit juice. I've found that the more exotic the fruit the better
                                      > flavor you get. toss a good sized handful of yeast on top, stir
                                      well
                                      > cover the bucket and leave in a warm place for 2 weeks. Siphon into
                                      > your still and cook at 180 degrees F (82C) and collect the spirit.
                                      One
                                      > way to tell when to stop is when the liquid will no longer burn a
                                      > bright blue flame."
                                      >
                                      > So assuming this low quality mash is prepared exactly as
                                      described, my
                                      > main question is whether the fruit juice is supposed to supply the
                                      > nutrients the yeast needs, and if so, should more expensive or
                                      frozen
                                      > canned juice be used?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      > Erich

                                    • abbababbaccc
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                                        This is actually a nice idea. Should you build the spiral still, you
                                        can use compression fittings on the spiral part and twist those
                                        spirals to use it as "worm in a bucket" type potstill as well.

                                        Cheers, Riku

                                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...> wrote:

                                        > or you can make a coil in bucket pot still for 2/3 of stuff all, and
                                        really learn about making cuts...AND...fine likker.

                                        > blanik

                                      • Lloyd
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                                          =p,
                                              Don't give up. Hang in there. Pick out a still that you think you can make (or buy) and go from there. Don't worry about the first still. Make it cheap, that's OK. Of course, keep it safe. Use common sense by all means. It is the learning that is important. After your first still, you will quickly see ways to improve it. If you are a young person, chances are you will create several, perhaps many, stills. Each better than the last. That is what we all do. That is why there is no "ONE PERFECT STILL". We just keep on improving and improvising to get what we want or think that we need. Some folks re-work their existing still while others decide that a completely new, radical approach, is necessary. If you really try at this hobby you will succeed. If you can't make drinking whiskey with all of the resources available to you on this and Tony's site then you should crawl under a rock and hide because so many, including myself, have started exactly where you are now and have done it - and done it well. We are pulling for you and please ask any questions that you have. There are no stupid questions but there are plenty of stupid answers. All of us started exactly where you are now. It seems like a lot to learn but it is really very simple. You heat it up and you cool it down. You add yeast to a sugar water and you get alcohol. The rest is just 'fine tuning'. You will learn a lot very quickly here. So stay tuned. Everyone here is into 'tweaking' and experimentation. I say start small. Get some success behind you and grow from there. Someday you will be double pot stilling a pure corn whiskey but until then try a simple sugar wash with turbo yeast through a reflux column still. It is fool proof and you will get a good foundation. Again, size and quality are not important on your first still. Your second still will be MUCH better and so will your third and so on.  Check out eBay for deals on "moonshine stills" or "ethanol"  or other key words that might cross your mind and buy a cheapo until you decide to design and build your own still. The first step in doing something great is just doing something.

                                          Lloyd

                                          > > What are you talking about?,the question you purport to answer is
                                          nonsense to
                                          > > anyone who knows about distilling.? .
                                          >
                                          > I understood it just fine and I both speak English and know (a thing
                                          or two)
                                          > about distilling. While I overlook his statement towards the
                                          precept that
                                          > filtering through a brita filter would substitute for proper cuts, I
                                          had no
                                          > difficulty following the intent of his question...and if I did, I'm
                                          sure I'll
                                          > be corrected.
                                          >
                                          > It does nobody any good to be so antagonistic and only serves to
                                          make you look
                                          > more like a bully than a constructive contributor to the list.
                                          >
                                          > Lighten up, Joe.
                                          > Trid

                                          Thanks Trid. Yes, I should be posing questions to the New Distillers
                                          group. It was really late when I first posted this, and I'm signed up
                                          for New Distillers but on my other Yahoo address, which I arranged,
                                          ironically, to avoid confusion between which one I was reading/posting
                                          on. I ask stupid questions because I'm overeager to learn. I know I'm
                                          nowhere near finished with the amount of reading I need to do online.
                                          New Distillers, I'm sure, will obviously be more lenient to such a
                                          newb. Hope I didn't ruin your life, Joe. =p

                                        • Larry
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                                            At 12:33 AM 10/09/2007, you wrote:
                                            >RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) silicone.

                                            So THAT'S what RTV means!!! I've wondered about that a few times. Thanks!
                                          • bbornais
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 9, 2007
                                              "Lloyd" <1@...> wrote:
                                              >Check out eBay for deals on "moonshine stills"

                                              Be cautious, however, when researching used stills. Avoid antique
                                              stills, as they are most likely constructed with lead based solder.

                                              Bryan.
                                            • just me
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 9, 2007
                                                having made more than my share of mistakes(and still making them) the one thing i wish i had done from the beginning is to keep a journal on everything i had done. i mean even the slightest detail. i hope this helps you. and dont get discouraged the sight in the left eye usually returns in a day or two. i hope this has helped.
                                                > > I very much doubt that you have ruined Joe's life but beware of being
                                                > > overeager and trying shortcuts. Distilling is a serious business and needs
                                                > > to be approached with a degree of caution, initially at least. I also had a
                                                > > great deal of difficulty following your post, but you haven't ruined my life
                                                > > either.
                                                >
                                                > I will admit that my start in the hobby consisted of everything I could think
                                                > of to make shortcuts. My failures at the hands of those shortcuts were every
                                                > bit as valuable as lessons as getting things right. There's a lot to be said
                                                > for the value of lessons learned "the hard way" as I did. Besides,
                                                > provided you
                                                > survive, there are grandly amusing stories to be told about those failures.
                                                >
                                                > Trid
                                                > -hey y'all, watch this...OW!!!

                                                SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                                                http://www.angelfir e.com/fl2/ cloudbase/

                                                Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera. com

                                                Powered by Outblaze

                                              • shinyhead13
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jul 16, 2013
                                                  New member here. I look forward to reading and learning from you folks. I have been doing this for a short time but have turned out some very nice stuff.
                                                • Zapata Vive
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 16, 2013
                                                    Nice to meet ya shiny.  What kind of stuff have you been making?  Neutral or flavored spirits?  I've only done flavors up to now, though my column has been asking me why for the last couple of years ;)