Re:WineWhine

  • Arctic
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
      For all those interested.......................

      HTTP://GROUPS.YAHOO.COM/GROUPS.WINELOVER

    • Brian Bashford
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
        Greetings all,

        I've lurked and de-lurked on this site for a couple of years or more now
        and pottered around with my off the shelf short column reflux still. I've
        just made contact with a local engineering / fabricating firm who are happy
        to make up a stainless and / or copper still for me if I can supply
        comprehensive plans. In short, can anyone on this list point me in the
        direction of a set of plans I can print out and present to said firm. I'm
        happy to turn my hand to anything made of wood but I have not the toolkit
        nor skills to make my own still. A polished mahogany still would ne nice but
        ..!

        On the other hand, I do have the time to spare to set things fermenting
        and clearing as I've been a beer and winemaker for about 30 years. The only
        snag is that *her indoors* will no longer tolerate buckets of foul smelling
        wash indoors ! So another project is to convert the long disused washhouse
        outside to a fermenting / distilling room.

        Anyhoo, any help or pointing to relevant sites will be much appreciated.

        Brian B.

        _____

      • ric hutchings
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
          Brian; don't cut your self short,
          If you have the skill to work with wood, you certainly have the skill to
          work with copper and aluminium.
          I have worked with all 3 materials for years and use the same tools on all
          of them. Yes the drop saw (tungsten blade) cuts copper and aluminium with
          ease.just have a good back stop and control the rate of feed very carefully
          as the blades wants to over run.
          Infact all my normal power tools are adept with all these 3 materials.
          Might soumds strange picking up the power planer to trim a sheet of
          aluminium/copper, but what do you think the pros use?

          Apart from that a bit of solder (no lead) and you are away. With the array
          of copper plumbing fittings available you can fabricate any thing.

          And as for stainless steel.
          Dont let anyone tell you welding it is hard. Infact stainless rods are a
          dream to use,(but expensive), they strike and flow much easier than normal
          rods.
          If you have an angle grinder (small) the new thin (1mm and 1.6mm) blades
          make cutting stainless as easy as cutting butter.
          Drilling stainless just needs lubrication and" pressure". As long as the
          drill is cutting it will not over heat. Once it just spins in the work the
          bits will heat up ,glow red and melt . Infact I use my hole saws regularly
          to cut stainless plate up to 5mm or so and then back to the wood.

          Good luck, and have a go. The final product will taste a lot better.
          Ric

          happy to turn my hand to anything made of wood but I have not the toolkit
          nor skills to make my own still. A polished mahogany still would ne nice but
          ...!
          Brian B.

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

        • Brian Bashford
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6, 2005
            Hi Ric,

            After giving your suggestions some thought and reading through the
            distillers site I've decided you're right. I shall give it a go and build
            my own. Thanks for the info. I shall soon be pestering my local plumbers'
            merchants and scrap yard for parts.

            Brian.

            _____