Off Topic (Biodiesel)

  • Dean Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 5:34 PM
      To all the alternative fuel experts,

      Due to the current $1.20 a litre for diesel were he lives my father has
      decided he wants to have a go at making Biodiesel and one of the
      ingredients used in most recipes is Methanol, I know you can use ethanol
      but he can't have that : ).
      I was wondering if the heads and/or foreshots that I throw away could be
      used or if there is to many other nasty chemicals in it that may damage
      his motor ?

      Thanks.
      Dean.
    • Lindsay Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2 3:41 AM
        Streuth, have you worked out how much booze you are going to have to
        drink to get that diesel motor even a few k's? And would you really
        want to go to the trouble of making that stuff?? Sounds like a
        dangerous PIA to me!

        Cheers,
        Lindsay.

      • harle61274@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2 5:59 AM
          In a message dated 4/1/2005 5:36:44 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          deanlil@... writes:

          To all the alternative fuel experts,

          Due to the current $1.20 a litre for diesel were he lives my father has
          decided he wants to have a go at making Biodiesel and one of the
          ingredients used in most recipes is Methanol, I know you can use ethanol
          but he can't have that : ).
          I was wondering if the heads and/or foreshots that I throw away could be
          used or if there is to many other nasty chemicals in it that may damage
          his motor ?

          Thanks.
          Dean.

          Id like to learn more about biodiesel do you know of any sites ?
          harle

        • mwmccaw
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2 6:30 AM
            http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html

            More information on biodiesel and all biofuels than you could read in
            a month!
            A lot of people are making biodiesel here. Methanol is cheap when you
            buy it by the large pail or small drum.

            Cheers,
            Mike McCaw
          • harle61274@aol.com